2019 SA Road National Championships

BMCfan

I don't think you will be allowed to drive up there with your car.  Best way is to cycle to the Union buildings from the Vermeulen street side.  Maybe park at a nearby shopping centre and ride further with your bicycle. Or park at the start finish venue in Soutpansberg weg and ride to the the Union buildings with your bike.

Out of towners: Ride the gautrain, bring your bike with you and ride to the Union Buildings... Just put the bike in a "bag" on the train.

post-27827-0-08028000-1549545335_thumb.jpg

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on who you know, or where to look. Gauteng North are the region organising the event, and I know where to find information as I’ve worked with them when my club organised the Helivac Crit series.

This is a national championchip, and should be advertised on the CyclingSA website. I’m sure it’s there, but as I have no time for CSA, I don’t bother going to their website. But all info is available on the GNC Facebook page.

As per the reply above, the information from GNC has been adequate, but the wide-spread coverage has been lacking.

Yes, it’s the national champs, and they should be taking full responsibility for the event. Instead, they leave it to the region to do all their work.

Other sports have an amateur national champs, while the Pros have their own. It was sit out a number of years ago, but logistically it is better to have both pros and amateurs on the same weekend and share the logistical setup. Fencing, timing, toilet hire, radios, permits, road closure, marshals, signage, traffic officials, safety plans, etc., etc., aren’t cheap.

But I agree, a minimum number of entries are required before a category can be considered eligible to compete.

It's been on Cycling SA's Facebook and Twitter pages at least a dozen times the last few months...

I think there is a minimum rule now for the cat's. 

I don't have any issue with Age Group racing, keeping people healthy and strong for longer is always a good idea. My only issue with it, is when it encroaches on funding for the important categories - all funding, especially when there is not a lot to go around already, should really be spent on the Elites and Juniors. This goes for prize moneys and anti-doping controls - spend the money and resources on the business end.

Is this still the same circuit as 2002.....or was it 2001

Think we did 10 or 12 laps +/- 120km

Remember it....?

Mind you, you probably done so many since then it’s faded into the mists if time...

Unfortunately I remeber it well .....

You , Me , Jurie Krige and Jose Dos Santos away for 6 laps .... then I blew proper .

The Mouse lapped me with 1 to go .....

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

this, 'cause then said toppie will brag to everyone he is the national champ (after he competed against no one but himself)

I can't agree with this at all. Sure the guy/gal may or not be on an ego trip. But bloody good for them if they show the drive and commitment to get there and earn a national title. Good for them, it's commendable. 

Unfortunately I remeber it well .....

You , Me , Jurie Krige and Jose Dos Santos away for 6 laps .... then I blew proper .

The Mouse lapped me with 1 to go .....

Yeah.... road racing

I thought we were away and clear, break away from lap 1 just before the UB climb...but those other 2 were riding for their teams and just sat on... unfortunately my legs were not used to that distance (I was training for 2 hour xco racing) .. AM and a small group caught me with a little more than a lap to go....

The all to common and sad story of the break away LOL

You riding this year?

Edited by SwissVan

Yeah.... road racing

I thought we were away and clear, break away from lap 1 just before the UB climb...but those other 2 were riding for their teams and just sat on... unfortunately my legs were not used to that distance (I was training for 2 hour xco racing) .. AM and a small group caught me with a little more than a lap to go....

The all to common and sad story of the break away LOL

You riding this year?

Didn’t know they had xco in the 1800s

I can't agree with this at all. Sure the guy/gal may or not be on an ego trip. But bloody good for them if they show the drive and commitment to get there and earn a national title. Good for them, it's commendable.

Don't get me wrong. Getting national colours is an achievement, but is it really if you have no competitors and basically get handed the win only because you were the only one there?

Don't get me wrong. Getting national colours is an achievement, but is it really if you have no competitors and basically get handed the win only because you were the only one there?

Which Cats have only one competitor?

Maybe there is a good reason for that...thinking maybe the others have departed this life?

Just getting to the start and finishing the event in this kind of situation justifies the reward.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

this, 'cause then said toppie will brag to everyone he is the national champ (after he competed against no one but himself)

Careful...I ride 50+, which includes legends like Gary Beneke, Bruce Reyneke, etc.  50+ bunch at SA's will probably 70 strong.  It makes for a deserving winner..

The lack of publicity just defies logic.  Gauteng champs was the same.  The only way I could find the info was asking on The Hub - and I was my groups defending champion.  (Alas not any more).

I must say that since introducing electronic timing these events have improved.  Racing is always hard but the numbers - especially in the older groups - is disappointing. 

To be fair David

Publicity was on the same level as 2018.  2017 was a real joke when EGC was organizing it.  If you've done a number of races at the back-end of 2018, everyone knew the details of the Gauteng and SA's.  Then was posted widely from Dec on GNC and CSA website, FB and IG.

I would guess they could have made a better effort, but as I said, it was on par with earlier years.  You just need to