Has anyone done the BIG snip?

Beard

Is gap cover really worth it though? I have had medical aid which I pay for entirely (no benefits or company contribution) and have been covered since I started working about 15 years ago. I have only needed medical aid three times in the past... for my kids birth and then grommets for them a few years later. I sort of look at medical aid as a grudge necessity because sometimes the **** hits the fan. Gap cover just seems like another insurance and at the end of the day just the insurance companies that build fancy new campuses.(im looking at you discovery) Surely if I was I responsible adult (I fail miserably) id be better off taking the gap cover fee each month and investing it?  

Heck yeah!

Sure, smaller ops (grommets, tonsils etc) might only have a R1000 or R2000 shortfall...  so that's not so bad, but both births of our kids had R5 - R7k shortfalls and my wife's ACL replacement 5 years ago had over a R20 000 shortfall!  So, yeah, I happily pay my gap premium every month! 

In terms of the op, I'd rather have to go for the snip again than to the dentist!  In and out in a couple of hours. Had it done on a Friday, so could rest the weekend and read the kids the riot act that if they jumped on daddy's lap they'd catch a klap! :lol: But I had only mild discomfort and to be safe stayed off the bike for a couple of weeks, but I wasn't riding that much at that point in time, so it wasn't a big deal for me...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was done a couple of years back ,under local ,in theater ,by urologist .I still had discomfort after a six month period .My wife could discontinue hormonal birth control ,and that made a huge difference in her emotional state .If only for the latter reason it was worth it ,and i have three children already 

I had mine done almost 20 years ago and it was quite an amusing experience. Once admitted into the ward I was told that I was number 12 in the queue for those that elected the procedure to be done under a local anaesthetic, the chaps that chose full anaesthetic would follow after that. Our ward nurse was a rather large gay man who did his rounds offering to do the necessary shaving. Needless to say I did my own shaving but I couldn't avoid the inspection of the my handywork, but I did my own lifting. The first operation was scheduled for 8 am and we were all shaved and settled in our beds by 6:30 am. Almost everyone of us had our spouses with us and there was lots of handholding and "moenie worrie nie my liefie, ek's baie lief vir jou" going on. As 7:30 arrived the conversations were conducted in hushed tones and our nurse was extremely busy as he was consulted on what I did know. But he minced his way from bed to admin desk on a number of occassions. All I got from him was "Is jy alraait, ou groote?" followed my a brief nervous nod from me.

7:50 am arrives and the nurse, standing at my bed, announces to the whole ward  " John Wayne, jy's nou nommer een" he had a huge grin on his face as he wheeled me off into theatre. Apparently, the waiting took it's toll and those ahead of me chickened out of the local opting for the full, I was the only one left. The op itself gives you a sense of why some of my comrades opted out, you see you lie on your back with your legs in strirrups with your whole package on display as the doctor goes about his business. You are embarrasingly aware that your package is now the focus of attention for all including the pretty young blonde nurse. Our gay nurse was no longer there but I was rather hoping that the term "ou groote" was referring to my nether regions, but I wasn't too sure.

The doc and I discussed cricket and the sad fortunes of our world cup team, who should open the batting became a great distraction from my discomfort. But our bowlers problems with no balls made me wince a bit, so I changed the subject to fielding, it felt safer than no balls. All the while I could feel something wasn't right and soon I could feel a serious burning sensation on my nought. I couldn't see this but the alcohol they used to kill any germs in that region had dripped down my crack and was attacking my nought with vigour. I told the doctor and he summoned the pretty blond nurse to do the necessary cleaning up which she did with gentle care and affection. The worst part was that I couldn't feel a thing!

Edited by River Rat

If you want to chat, we can. As with all things financial advice, the answer is "it depends"

Which gap are you on at the moment?

No gap cover at the moment... I have to cover any difference myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had mine done almost 20 years ago and it was quite an amusing experience...

This was great blow by blow! Didn’t think about being clean shaven down there!!

This was great blow by blow! Didn’t think about being clean shaven down there!!

Don't worry you'll be fine and back on the bike within 3 weeks. As for long term it does not affect any other functions other than producing viable swimmers.

Don't worry you'll be fine and back on the bike within 3 weeks. As for long term it does not affect any other functions other than producing viable swimmers.

This. 

Spoeg still happens. Sperm is only 2-3% of spoeg anyway, so there's no difference, really

Bargain. Thats about 6 months school fees.

6 months!...... More like 1,5 months if you`re lucky and try to avoid our `educashion` dept schools!

This.

Spoeg still happens. Sperm is only 2-3% of spoeg anyway, so there's no difference, really

Naughts bra. I'm going to have to tely little girl to "spoeg" tonight night after brushing her teeth.

Probably better to farm that out to Wifey.

So I "pre shaved" for the op. Nurse, said no way, and handed me a razor and some baby powder.

She looked disappointed that I was keen to DIY shave.....

I am following this thread. My wife has been pestering me to go since we had the twins. To say I am scared is an understatement.

I am also scared to google it.

If I had twins I'd be in the theater for the Snip as soon as they have finished closing Wifey up.

I'll probably go for it on a couple of years. As soon as I convince Wifey that she also doesn't want a third child that is.