Idiots at the CTCT

Transporter

Ask yourself this : how many of the 35k cyclists have ever been to a talk or been informed about how to go about riding in a cycle race?

How many of us really know how to go about it.

And then there is obviously the application of what you know but that is another matter.

I remember riding down the Blue Route years age - what an experience. Double line of about say 30 riders everybody took the front for about 30secs no longer with amazing speeds. Now 100 plus riders 5 doing most of the work going snails pace.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a numbers thing. If you get 24 thousandnpeople together 12 thousand will have an iq of less than 100. The chance of encountering someone with an iq in what used to be called the moron level rises in direct proportion to 2 variables... the num;er of people and the smallness of the space they occupy.

Combine this with doing something dangerous like archery or cycling and you have a fun ride.

Argus is the most dangerous event of the year IMHO. Including all the hardcore enduro events. The speed, surface, lane changers, poor seeding, once in a blue moon idiot riders and general chaos in any group starting 2+ was just phenomenal when I did it. I'd rather crash on my own accord with stationary obstacles at decent speed and non tarmac surfaces.

Basically Marilize would be the problem

Its a numbers thing. If you get 24 thousandnpeople together 12 thousand will have an iq of less than 100. The chance of encountering someone with an iq in what used to be called the moron level rises in direct proportion to 2 variables... the num;er of people and the smallness of the space they occupy.

Combine this with doing something dangerous like archery or cycling and you have a fun ride.

Only 15 or so countries have an average IQ over 100. SA average is 77!

I love that those guys probably work hard to afford "fancy super light bikes" and probably contribute 42% of their income to tax for the country.

We can't thank you and your boep enough!

Ask yourself this : how many of the 35k cyclists have ever been to a talk or been informed about how to go about riding in a cycle race?

How many of us really know how to go about it.

And then there is obviously the application of what you know but that is another matter.

I remember riding down the Blue Route years age - what an experience. Double line of about say 30 riders everybody took the front for about 30secs no longer with amazing speeds. Now 100 plus riders 5 doing most of the work going snails pace.

I keep having to remind myself I'm reading comments about the CTCT and not south african road users in general

Only 15 or so countries have an average IQ over 100. SA average is 77!

I'm calling bollocks on that statement

iq-distribution-curve-1.png

We had a lekker post race war story sharing circle on Sunday night.

Someone summed it up nicely.

Basically when the human mind is under stress it starts to shut down senses to limit the overload.

In a heavily visual reliant activity like cycling the eyesight is heightened and the hearing, feeling and other senses get shut down to make space for the brain to process all the visuall stimuli.

So don;t expect anyone to hear you, feel your angst or even compute what is going on around them other than the basic stimuli required to ensure survival. So it boils down to everyone's "ME".

the people who can deal with more senses and don;t overload their brains are in the minority.

However, supertucking in a bunch is just plain *&^%$g stupid and selfish

i think plenty of people will be in disbelief if they knew their actual IQ's  :D

Not that it is the ONLY indicator of intelligence....but still.

There were 6k first time CTCT riders on the Tour this year. I've done 15 of them and countless other road races and I still managed to get in a few peoples way while trying to keep track of my wife who was trying to keep up with me in the wind. The chances  that an oxygen deprived newby or even an experienced rider will do something dof is high. If its a problem for you, maybe look at doing events like the Freedom Challenge.  

Edited by Headshot

We had a lekker post race war story sharing circle on Sunday night.

Someone summed it up nicely.

Basically when the human mind is under stress it starts to shut down senses to limit the overload.

In a heavily visual reliant activity like cycling the eyesight is heightened and the hearing, feeling and other senses get shut down to make space for the brain to process all the visuall stimuli.

So don;t expect anyone to hear you, feel your angst or even compute what is going on around them other than the basic stimuli required to ensure survival. So it boils down to everyone's "ME".

the people who can deal with more senses and don;t overload their brains are in the minority.

However, supertucking in a bunch is just plain *&^%$g stupid and selfish

A guy inched past me down Chappies in supertuck mode... was waiting for his ass to hook his saddle as he normalized himself...

I only really start enjoying the race around Kommetjie... When all the "one-time seeding wonders" and wannabes have been blown off the back up & down Smits (and the most of the dropped okes from earlier groups are too tired to latch onto groups passing them)

Ya I think it worked out like that in 1A this year. Last year it has horrible. However I stayed in front 30 of the bunch the whole way so I don't know what went on at the back. Only annoying incident for me was the supertucker and some twit who thought that doing a Verstappen into a closing gap as the road funneled on the descent into Fish Hoek was the move of the year. Otherwise everyone was pretty well behaved. My stress levels due to riders around me was pretty low.

I'm not sure what was up on the Chappies descent or Kommetjie road for that matter. Everyone wanted to ride in the Left hand side gutter when we had the WHOLE road. That's how 3 or 4 riders got away on Kommetjie, they formed an Echelon

I encountered Rosebank in Jhb own brand of idiots this morning at 6am

Male and female decked out in same kit on Pina's coming up the wrong way on Bath Ave

Nuts

Looking back on my ride on sunday and browsing my and others gopro footage one of my strong feelings is gratitude and relief that im not nursing some horrible injury that has put me off the bike ans thrown my life into disarray.

Its a fairly high risk sport made riskier at an event like the ct tour and i must decide if it's worth it. I replayed the footgae of the guy who went past me 100m shortnof the line almost taking me out. I havent posted it because i screamed embarrassingly and profanely at him but man it was close. Even allowing for the wide angle distortion it was centimeters from my bar. At 35kmph... cyclists around and behind me... hmmmm.