SRAM Eagle AXS Groupset (Limited stock)

CWC Online

So just because we are poor and can't afford it we should just shut up and aren't allowed to have opinions on expensive bike parts?

Surely whether you are willing to pay R33K for a group set is not only about whether you can afford it or not, but whether you perceive to get value for money, Do you really think all rich people just throw their money at the most expensive bike parts just because they can? 

Now now, calm down.  I can’t remember saying you are not allowed to have an opinion but just to be sure I will read my post again.  Nope, did not say that. 

You also forgot to read the middle section where I mentioned that we do not think anything funny of someone driving a R1.4mil vehicle compared to a R450k vehicle.  Not all rich people drive a R1.4mil car either.  I have just never seen anybody laughing and pointing fingers at people driving expensive cars that they do not need but wanted.  Why should this new drivetrain be any different? 

Also, if you can afford a R25k plus MTB and all the costs associated with the sport then you are by no means poor.  That will put you somewhere in the top 30% in South Africa. 

You clearly missed my point.  You can’t judge someone on the price he is willing to pay for bike parts if there are so many other examples of us paying much more for other stuff in life than what we do not need but want. Why should this be any different?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or from a different perspecive,

Buy X01/XX1 including chain and run the drivetrain for 7000-10,000km and then when the chain hits 0.5% spend anouther R1200 on a new chain, maybe a new chainring too.

Whereas, spend 1/3rd on a GX drivetrain and wear it out within 5000km and then spend again.

cost per km I'm illing to bet XX1 and X01 is going to be cheaper. And I reckon the AXS battery will be cheaper than the decent cable kits you need to keep a mechanical system running

I slightly get your point with the mileages, but no way the battery will be cheaper than some shifter cables. What cable kits are you buying? Ive never had any issues with basic R40 cables?

And the price of xx1 cassetes wont balance out the mileage you get from it. The only bang for buck xx1 component is the chain.

I am guessing that despite people's perception about the value of the AXS, or anything similar i.t.o. price, clearly there is a market for such components, else I seriously doubt companies such as SRAM or Shimano would bother manufacturing them?

I also seriously doubt they would go through all the R&D costs just to be able to say, "look at what we managed."

If you find value (not just monetary) in a purchase, and you can justify it, then by all means, do it if that pleases you. If you don't find value in a purchase, or might extend yourself beyond your means, then clearly don't.

So are you guys saying that if I put this groupset on my hardtail Totem with rim block brakes I'll be doing it wrong?

People polish turds all the time. Why stop now! :ph34r:

I slightly get your point with the mileages, but no way the battery will be cheaper than some shifter cables. What cable kits are you buying? Ive never had any issues with basic R40 cables?

And the price of xx1 cassetes wont balance out the mileage you get from it. The only bang for buck xx1 component is the chain.

Cable kits cost in the region from R180 for cheap crappy coated cables with crappy housing to R600 for low friction liner and polished cable with solid housing stops.

I'm not talking about just cables. BTW, R40 cables have to replaced very ften because of the corrosion that spoils the fun.

I replace cables once every 120hours of riding, same time the bike goes in for suspension service. The cables I remove are pretty dirty and the housing ends have started to fray and get blocked with rust.

Some people are happy if they bike just works, others want it to work with precision and feel like its well maintained

Cable kits cost in the region from R180 for cheap crappy coated cables with crappy housing to R600 for low friction liner and polished cable with solid housing stops.

I'm not talking about just cables. BTW, R40 cables have to replaced very ften because of the corrosion that spoils the fun.

I replace cables once every 120hours of riding, same time the bike goes in for suspension service. The cables I remove are pretty dirty and the housing ends have started to fray and get blocked with rust.

Some people are happy if they bike just works, others want it to work with precision and feel like its well maintained

in 3 years i have not once replaced my Shimano or Campag batteries.

both have done plenty mileage and still last long enough for me not to notice if they have deteriorated.

my etap is only 1 year old and also has had zero issues(to early to tell, but so far so good)

i recon in the long run batteries are actually more cost effective than having to constantly replace cables.

You also get reliable predictable shifting with electronic even when covered in mud.

when cables get dirty you get drag and sloppy changes.

in 3 years i have not once replaced my Shimano or Campag batteries.

both have done plenty mileage and still last long enough for me not to notice if they have deteriorated.

my etap is only 1 year old and also has had zero issues(to early to tell, but so far so good)

i recon in the long run batteries are actually more cost effective than having to constantly replace cables.

You also get reliable predictable shifting with electronic even when covered in mud.

when cables get dirty you get drag and sloppy changes.

and 12 speed sprockets are so close that temperature will also affect the shifting quality since a 20degree temperature swing can change the cable length but as much as a mm which is enough to throw out the shift settings. In the Western Cape in Winter we start a ride at 4degrees C and by 10am its 24 on a good winters day.

On the colder days, water in the cables only brings in contaminants which further affects shifting.

The case for electronic or hydraulic gear shifting is strong. Its just not affordable to everyone right now but its definitely better in many ways

I wonder how long before a prankster does a race with a signal jammer in his bacpack or saddle bag. Or stands on the roadside next to Suikerbossie..

will need to be a pretty powerful one to swamp the band. But I suspect it'll affect mobile phones too and therefore emergency services and therefore its illegal...?

But what do SAFFA's care?

Now now, calm down.  I can’t remember saying you are not allowed to have an opinion but just to be sure I will read my post again.  Nope, did not say that. 

You also forgot to read the middle section where I mentioned that we do not think anything funny of someone driving a R1.4mil vehicle compared to a R450k vehicle.  Not all rich people drive a R1.4mil car either.  I have just never seen anybody laughing and pointing fingers at people driving expensive cars that they do not need but wanted.  Why should this new drivetrain be any different? 

Also, if you can afford a R25k plus MTB and all the costs associated with the sport then you are by no means poor.  That will put you somewhere in the top 30% in South Africa. 

You clearly missed my point.  You can’t judge someone on the price he is willing to pay for bike parts if there are so many other examples of us paying much more for other stuff in life than what we do not need but want. Why should this be any different?

I think the part I missed was how offended people were by MDK!'s "laughing and pointing fingers" comment. I don't think one should take it that seriously but he can defend his comments himself.

This is some pretty cool tech! And like most cutting edge tech, it costs a lot when coming out. So if you want to be on the cutting edge, you are going to "hoes" for this. Maybe somewhere down the line the tech gets cheaper and the enhancements trickle down to lower models.

Not too long ago you only got ABS on a very high end BMW 7 Series or Mercedes S Class. Now I think their might be one or two cars on sale in SA without it. (which I would not buy on principle for that reason, but anyhoo) As stated above new tech always costs a lot but will eventually get more affordable and trickle down.

Or from a different perspecive, 

Buy X01/XX1 including chain and run the drivetrain for 7000-10,000km and then when the chain hits 0.5% spend anouther R1200 on a new chain, maybe a new chainring too.

Whereas, spend 1/3rd on a GX drivetrain and wear it out within 5000km and then spend again.

cost per km I'm illing to bet XX1 and X01 is going to be cheaper. And I reckon the AXS battery will be cheaper than the decent cable kits you need to keep a mechanical system running

What are you smoking - a decent cable and outer will cost your R100.00. Thats the price of about 3 Duracells. I bet the AXS battery will cost R1000.00 at least. Thats 10 new cable sets - for me 10 years worth of cables.