Little Rant about Omnico and Fox Transfer dropper

Jehosefat

So I just feel the need to have a little rant about this (and I'm sorry if there is a thread about this already, not in the mood to search).

Took my Fox Transfer dropper to my LBS for a service only to be told that they can't service it because there is some proprietary tool that is needed to open it up so it needs to be shipped off to Omnico and that's going to take about 10 days. Fine, not ideal but it is what it is.

Then I am told that this service is going to cost R2,500. WT Actual F?!?!?!  :cursing:  The seatpost is around R5k new so it's actually cheaper to ride the seatpost into the ground and replace it when it breaks than to service it.

Maybe it's just me but that seems really stupid. Why even make the thing serviceable if it's easier and cheaper to just bin it when it breaks than to actually maintain it?

Anyway, rant over. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Edited to change a word that upset people

Edited by Jehosefat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I like your flagrant use of the word 'retarded'... 

Look, 2500 zar for a dropper post service is dumb. Just buy  lyne one for that price and go forth and dropper... BUT retarded isn't a great adjective to describe something stupid or negative.

Okay so I read that you can service it twice before you get close to the cost of the seat post?

Not the other way round?

Yes, after the second service you could have just bought a new post instead.

Look, 2500 zar for a dropper post service is dumb. Just buy  lyne one for that price and go forth and dropper... BUT retarded isn't a great adjective to describe something stupid or negative.

I acknowledge that you do not like the use of the word and have edited my post to change it.

But the Lyne isn't gold!!!

#KashimaBaby

Yes, after the second service you could have just bought a new post instead.

I acknowledge that you do not like the use of the word and have edited my post to change it.

You are a gentleman.

But seriously, get the Lyne Dropper. Cheap to service, costs what a service currently costs and it is Black.

Odinson... pfffft.... Gold is the worst. Everyone knows second is the best.....

another +1 for a Lyne. Not to mention the epic after-sales service too. Had a niggle with my new 170mm and they replaced the internals under warranty no questions asked....and had it done within 2 hours.  it's working better than ever now.

Or save oodles of cash and drop the dropper. Go rigid. Rigid is real

ill admit i probably use my dropper more while getting on and off the bike haha, but it comes in handy on the trails for sure  ^_^

But seriously, get the Lyne Dropper. Cheap to service, costs what a service currently costs and it is Black.

I've already got the Transfer (Performance so it's also black) and it's working fine. It's just time for its recommended 125 hour service but now I'm going to run it into the ground instead. Then when it breaks I'll look at replacing it with something else depending on what is available at the time.

Did just buy a Lyne dropper for my girlfriend, literally arrived this morning and is sitting on my desk next to me. Going to install it this evening :)

ill admit i probably use my dropper more while getting on and off the bike haha, but it comes in handy on the trails for sure  ^_^

Haha - I'm in the same boat, especially getting going again when you stop on a steep climb

You are a gentleman.

Odinson... pfffft.... Gold is the worst. Everyone knows second is the best.....

Well you're both wrong. Everybody knows Marzocchi's #espresso coating will always be the best. Too lazy to resize the image but when it's so beautiful who cares.... 

post-55232-0-59869200-1561626616_thumb.jpg

Well you're both wrong. Everybody knows Marzocchi's #espresso coating will always be the best. Too lazy to resize the image but when it's so beautiful who cares.... 

attachicon.gifMarzocchi-dropper-4.jpg

That looks like Bronze, so it's third, so it has a hairy chest!

(It does look amazing though. I have some of the forks with those stanchions.....)

Lyne as mentioned. Or go 9point8 which is specifically built to be DIY serviceable. It's a fairly pricey unit to buy but is widely considered the best dropper post built yet. That said,while I have 9point8, I also have a Lyne and I really like the Lyne too.