Little Rant about Omnico and Fox Transfer dropper

Jehosefat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you're both wrong. Everybody knows Marzocchi's #espresso coating will always be the best. Too lazy to resize the image but when it's so beautiful who cares.... 

attachicon.gifMarzocchi-dropper-4.jpg

espresso coating for the win

Back on the op's post. you can add me as a +1 for lyne's droppers. Running mine for about a year and a half now, never needed a service so far, and it just works.

It is beautiful. But functionality matters more.

Bro.... Bro......

What planet do you live on?! It's all about the bling, the weight, the coil shocks, the goggles, the 3/4 sleeve shirts, more travel, slacker, longer, lower geo....

Functionality! 

Next thing you're going to start saying people don't need anything bigger than 120mm front and rear with pretty average geo to fully enjoy Cape Town and it's trails!

Blasphemy!

Edited by Jewbacca

So I just feel the need to have a little rant about this (and I'm sorry if there is a thread about this already, not in the mood to search).

Took my Fox Transfer dropper to my LBS for a service only to be told that they can't service it because there is some proprietary tool that is needed to open it up so it needs to be shipped off to Omnico and that's going to take about 10 days. Fine, not ideal but it is what it is.

Then I am told that this service is going to cost R2,500. WT Actual F?!?!?!  :cursing:  The seatpost is around R5k new so it's actually cheaper to ride the seatpost into the ground and replace it when it breaks than to service it.

Maybe it's just me but that seems really stupid. Why even make the thing serviceable if it's easier and cheaper to just bin it when it breaks than to actually maintain it?

Anyway, rant over. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Edited to change a word that upset people

did omnico quote you R2500? geez that is crazy ZAR

did omnico quote you R2500? geez that is crazy ZAR

this is the problem with expensive droppers.......expensive maintenance.

Cheap ones don't last maybe as long but you just keep buying a new one.  This is the throw away culture after all.

this is the problem with expensive droppers.......expensive maintenance.

Not always true. See 9point8.

Not always true. See 9point8.

9.8 droppers are amazing.

Until something breaks and you wait ages for the part to arrive from euroland.

A mate of mine has had to send his in to Trailtech twice already. Fortunately he has a Lyne dropper on his other bike that fits..

Or save oodles of cash and drop the dropper. Go rigid. Rigid is real

No!

After moving from rigid to a dropper I will never go back. NEVER!!!  :P

That looks like Bronze, so it's third, so it has a hairy chest!

(It does look amazing though. I have some of the forks with those stanchions.....)

you called?

Bro.... Bro......

What planet do you live on?! It's all about the bling, the weight, the coil shocks, the goggles, the 3/4 sleeve shirts, more travel, slacker, longer, lower geo....

Functionality! 

Next thing you're going to start saying people don't need anything bigger than 120mm front and rear with pretty average geo to fully enjoy Cape Town and it's trails!

Blasphemy!

Exactly ... now he better go recite 500 Magic Mary's

9.8 droppers are amazing.

Until something breaks and you wait ages for the part to arrive from euroland.

A mate of mine has had to send his in to Trailtech twice already. Fortunately he has a Lyne dropper on his other bike that fits..

Goodness me. How does one break a 9point8? Otherwise, IMHO order the service kit long in advance.... you know you're going to need it sooner or later. As I said, I have one but for the money, IMHO my Lyne is a better deal.

Goodness me. How does one break a 9point8? Otherwise, IMHO order the service kit long in advance.... you know you're going to need it sooner or later. As I said, I have one but for the money, IMHO my Lyne is a better deal.

Oh no he didn't break it. The post failed and was repaired under warranty. At least they stand by their product. Sadly it seems the part was couriered using Yaks via the Silk Road (generous dose of hyperbole here.)