947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

Yeah, have been wondering about how they count - I got a 23yr Club gift at registration - i.e. before actually riding the event - so assumed I had already done 23 and 2019 was the 24th (?)

Further, the board with the names on had it as 23 club - so that tells me its the 24th event in 2019 (?)

(Unfortunately it appears they did not keep all the rider times in the early days due to sponsor and event changes, so can't check.)

I made the same error for my 10th, thinking it was 11.

Luckily all my results show on Racetec, so it’s easy to revert back to each one.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem, I also say never again. But I don't believe that I will be lining up in 2020 :eek:. It is like what Max says. To me the amount of climbing is a little excessive - I know the average for Gauteng is 100m of climbing for every 10km and this is after all a race that needs to be harder than the average.

But, with that being said: If you want to have a lot of climbing and make it challenging then also ensure that there's a balance - some longer recovery sections. I told a friend after the race that on the race I felt like I was only going at two speeds: Moer fast & Moer slow. The wind on the highway did not help either

Unlike this year and leaving everything till the very last minute, I have already entered for 2020,

Next year is going to be a challenging year overall and looking forward to it.

Maluti with our club and then all the big races. Hmmmm bring it on.

I made the same error for my 10th, thinking it was 11.

Luckily all my results show on Racetec, so it’s easy to revert back to each one.

my ractec results show one less than I actually did. Somewhere in the early years there was a timing chip or sponsor change and they dont have that info.

For me, it's an expensive venture to head up to jhb for a ride that's not even 100km, and no offense to the jhb guys, but it's riding through jhb. I'd rather spend my money on a race where I'm riding somewhere new/scenic/ not through a city.

For me, it's an expensive venture to head up to jhb for a ride that's not even 100km, and no offense to the jhb guys, but it's riding through jhb. I'd rather spend my money on a race where I'm riding somewhere new/scenic/ not through a city.

TBH the city is the best part of the ride.They should include more.

TBH the city is the best part of the ride.They should include more.

agreed...it's definitely a change from being stuck in a car driving around in the city....

That's fine, each to their own. There are plenty events all over that a lot of people don't feel compelled to go and ride. Not sure why one would feel the need to make an announcement about it though.

That said Jhb has it's own charm and for the most part out of town visitors (local and international) have been pleasantly surprised and enjoyed themselves when I've shown them around.

That's fine, each to their own. There are plenty events all over that a lot of people don't feel compelled to go and ride. Not sure why one would feel the need to make an announcement about it though.

That said Jhb has it's own charm and for the most part out of town visitors (local and international) have been pleasantly surprised and enjoyed themselves when I've shown them around.

People were wondering if numbers were down and possible reasons why. That's my reason.

Can someone with allot of time and knowledge of all the past routes, make maps of all the routes that the race has followed over the 23 editions? 

yoh, thats a tall ask. but would love to see it.

I might have maps for some of the routes, some hard copied and some soft, but definitely not a complete set for the 23 editions (or even the 20 editions I entered).

I tend to forget which way we went within hours of completing the event.

I must say, I really enjoyed this iteration of the race. The hills, the speed, the scenery and the vibe on the side of the road... was very Joburg in a good way  :thumbup:

The last time I rode the 947 was 2014. This time I trained longer distances in advance, had a race strategy in mind and on my top tube, and proper nutrition (32 GI Cramp Assault, Game concentrate  :blush: , and good old Vitamin C glucose gummies from DIschem)... no cramping and feel I actually had a little left in the tank in the end. really good fun.

yoh, thats a tall ask. but would love to see it.

I might have maps for some of the routes, some hard copied and some soft, but definitely not a complete set for the 23 editions (or even the 20 editions I entered).

I tend to forget which way we went within hours of completing the event.

I have a lot of old cycling mags that I could try and get it from.

I used to stay in Bloem, so doing the race then was all a blur and could not remember a thing afterwards, because everything was strange. Now that I stay in Randburg its actually interesting to see where some of the races used to go through. Something like the D2D as well, that started at the Dome, heading out on Malibongwe and into the cradle. These are now normal training roads and then I had no clue where we were.

... no cramping and feel I actually had a little left in the tank in the end. really good fun.

The cramps slowed me down at the end - will definitely have to get something to assist me and reduce the cramps.   All my longer solo workout rides of approximately 100km's usually only include about 1000m of climbing, but the extra few hundred meters of the 947 pushed me above my usual more familiar levels  :blush:

I have the same problem, I also say never again. But I don't believe that I will be lining up in 2020 :eek:. It is like what Max says. To me the amount of climbing is a little excessive - I know the average for Gauteng is 100m of climbing for every 10km and this is after all a race that needs to be harder than the average.

But, with that being said: If you want to have a lot of climbing and make it challenging then also ensure that there's a balance - some longer recovery sections. I told a friend after the race that on the race I felt like I was only going at two speeds: Moer fast & Moer slow. The wind on the highway did not help either

It doesn’t have to be a race every time, and with the addition of the shorter distance, there is now more of an option for those that feel 90-odd Km is too far given the elevation.

I’ve said never again once before, but that was my own doing. I never got on the bike between one year and the next, yet I expected myself to do better based on previous experience. When I wasn’t racing/riding much (just after the kids arrived), riding the event was more fun than racing it, as I’d stop for coffee along the way, or towed a trailer with beers, or purely rode the distance slower. My point is that it’s the only event with FULL road closure in Gauteng, including riding on a super smooth highway - make the most of the day and enjoy it.