Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

With all the second lappers and riders I think we had around 40 people in Savage kit on Sunday.

3D seems a little high up for second lappers though and too far back for Ouma Savage.

Well unless ouma Savage is an attractive young lady I’m guessing it was a second lapper helping a friend out.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my first ever road race 4 years ago i only just pipped ouma savage to the finish line. I had to work quite hard not to let it upset me.

Well unless ouma Savage is an attractive young lady I’m guessing it was a second lapper helping a friend out.

You'll be fine in a few days - but it is a handy clue that your bike setup is a bit out..

Yip, am sure you're right.

Have ridden the same bike, a BH G5 bought from a great hubber up north, for my last three tours.

It was last professionally set-up in 2018 so really should have had it tweaked/redone this year.

More fool me - won't make that mistake again in a hurry !

Edited by 3wings

There was a seriously strong guy on a fat bike in the 1J/1H/1G bunch on the Muizenberg - Simonstown stretch.

The road noise off the tyres was insane.

"1F"

Had a Chap by the name "DIRK".

The Bike sounded like a Boeing coming to Land.

"1F"

Had a Chap by the name "DIRK".

The Bike sounded like a Boeing coming to Land.

Sounds like the same guy ;-)

The bunch was such an amalgamation of seedings by main road, courtesy of the 1min gaps. It was difficult to tell who we were catching, there was hardly any free road and then another bunch would be reeled in.

What a day, sun, heat, no wind, near misses, breezes, rain, gales, hills, manhole covers, cats-eyes....hills, drizzle, wet tar, dry tar...oh and ja cramps....downhill cramps...that's a real thing on a fixie!

All in all a great day! The Beast bucked and swerved round the mountain, and got me home with a PB of 4h45. Crossed the line with my eldest, elated, next year, a normal bike!!!!

attachicon.gif2020 Argus.png

Video recollection of a great day out on the bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHvlLGKNB0&

Wife didn't ride today, but digged the vibe around the race this weekend. Now I'm left with a few options for next year.. 1st lap race, 2nd lap with her...or get a tandem now, do a few PPA events to get seeding up and race CTCT with a tandem next year..decisions decisions

Did 4 of 21 Tours on a tandem , 2 with my wife and 2 with my youngest son and those 4 stand out in terms of good memories

Did anyone see a fat bike or has the scourge passed?

Yeah we passed one. IICR it was just after Ocean View, so they must have started early.

The best feeling the whole day was in seeing the smile on the 5year old's face when I gave her a medal to match her father's that her older brother was swanking around with.

I always give mine to the first kid whose morning looks like it needs improving.

When I left on Saturday morning my 4y/o old asked if I would be bringing home a medal. I said yes. On Sunday when I got home, the first thing I did was give it to him. He had the biggest smile ever. He sommer took it to bed and fell asleep with it. I took it off him while he was sleeping but as soon as he woke up on Monday he asked where it was.

Wife didn't ride today, but digged the vibe around the race this weekend. Now I'm left with a few options for next year.. 1st lap race, 2nd lap with her...or get a tandem now, do a few PPA events to get seeding up and race CTCT with a tandem next year..decisions decisions

pfffft,..... e-bike for the win ..... spare batteries gets you extra wins.... :ph34r: :clap:

Nice video - how do you get the "selfie view" where the camera is looking back at you?

Gopro 360 camera on short collapsible stem...

What a blast this year was. :clap:  :clap:

Was suppose to start in @ but decided - after doing Tour of Good Hope that MTB will have to do as my legs was now where to be found for race day - on 2 E with sister and brother in law and one other friend (2 men mtb and 2 girls road bikes).

Up Rhodes I felt good and just road with the other 3 then on the down hill I got the chance to warm up the legs at what felt like 500 cad just to keep up.  Edinburgh Dr was a jol and felt like a small roller, this is when I knew I made a mistake, should have gone with road bike and went for sub 3.

Cruised along and hit Smits and was having lots of fun then down past reserve at 500 cad again.  unfortunately our 1 team member had a bad mechanical at the turn to Misty cliffs and I stopped to help her but her rear wheel bearings went POOOFFF - lots 5 mins on the other 2 and had to TT to catch them and managed to join them just as Chappies started.  Again Chappies and Suikerbossie was a non event and just nailed it to the end with the other 2 and finished on a 3:31.

Overall the 2E group was not behaving to bad with only 1 near mis in Simons Town but enjoyed the ride and hope next year for similar weather to go for my sub 3.

post-56110-0-41755500-1583911919_thumb.jpg