Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

What a lekker event and really enjoyable to read all the race reports and anecdotes after the weekend. Not much to add besides for the following few cents:

- The shorter start times sure made things hairy and definitely added to a bit of congestion along the route. Starting at 6:44 it seems as though much of the the field conglomerated into a few massive bunches which only spread out along the Smitswinkel climb (and making the narrow road up Smits look like the N1 on a bad day - even early morning).

- Is it just me or was the event more "subdued" this year, from the Expo to the Start and even the kuier afterwards. Waiting in the starting pen I was missing the gees that is always tangible before the event kicks off with the anthem and the pumping tunes. Also a general observation: there were noticeably fewer riders participating this year than previous years which also seem to reflect in Racetec results.  

My highlight: Misty Cliffs was just that on Sunday and riding through dense mist with that sea breeze and the ocean a side spit away was pure bliss. I love this ride...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<Snip>

My highlight: Misty Cliffs was just that on Sunday and riding through dense mist with that sea breeze and the ocean a side spit away was pure bliss. I love this ride...

My mate we stayed with tried to describe misty cliffs the night before. But nothing could compare to the actual awesomeness!!! It was a "This is exactly where I am supposed to be moment" Was fortunate to have shared it with my Missus, which made it even sweeter!!

My mate we stayed with tried to describe misty cliffs the night before. But nothing could compare to the actual awesomeness!!! It was a "This is exactly where I am supposed to be moment" Was fortunate to have shared it with my Missus, which made it even sweeter!!

i rode with my dad and this was his 14th CTCT and he experienced misty cliffs for the first time on sunday. quite surreal to experience with someone for the first time

Video recollection of a great day out on the bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHvlLGKNB0&

48/16!!

must have a look at the ratrio I did it on, think it was 46/18 and was a little too short, memory is spinning like an eggbeater past cp entrance downhill with okes freewheeling past me

Nice video - how do you get the "selfie view" where the camera is looking back at you?

360' cameras

pfffft,..... e-bike for the win ..... spare batteries gets you extra wins.... :ph34r: :clap:

my wife did it with a spare battery. Made for a lot happier wife.

Reckon there is a business model for a battery change service/table at the top of Smits or a whole new bike fully charged :-)

Whatever happened to the clown on his long legs at the start?

Think he got blown away a few years ago..

i rode with my dad and this was his 14th CTCT and he experienced misty cliffs for the first time on sunday. quite surreal to experience with someone for the first time

Misty Cliffs is a magical place on just about any day, but with an angry ocean and clouds, even more so. Most people rate Chapmans peak as the scenic highlight of the route, but Misty Cliffs cannot be far behind.

Misty Cliffs is a magical place on just about any day, but with an angry ocean and clouds, even more so. Most people rate Chapmans peak as the scenic highlight of the route, but Misty Cliffs cannot be far behind.

Yeah, misty cliffs and Scarborough. Beautiful places, would love to live there, overlooking the ocean. Not many views offer the same sort of variety or give the same sort of feeling, imo.

How many serious incidents and deaths were there this year? Very little news in that regard.

Edited by Capricorn

Biggest disappointment of the day surely has to be the guy in his Borat Man-kini on a spinning bike around the start of Smits was nowhere to be seen this year...

Last time I saw him, the bar-one girls were still there. Maybe bar-one girls and borat costume don't do well together and he was scarred for life? Hmm, they also seem to have disappeared.......

Last time I saw him, the bar-one girls were still there. Maybe bar-one girls and borat costume don't do well together and he was scarred for life? Hmm, they also seem to have disappeared.......

Him and the girls got a gig...

post-41145-0-00266200-1583929301_thumb.jpg