Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

Sure sign that you are either a Land Rover owner or a potential Land Rover owner*… :-)

*Well, in the old days anyway when Land Rovers were still...ummm... Land Rovers.

Even worse. I have a Ford. It hasn't broken down in two months. Touch wood.

But I really won't mind a 2.8 shorty defender as a toy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly conclusive then, I have more than enough time to figure this out by myself before the event on Sunday.

LBS it is...

Took it to the LBS this morning, picked it up after work, wheel perfectly trued. Easiest R150 I've spent on a bike yet!

Braai wors. Dry wors. Boerewors.

Hell, I'll even eat that processed wors that spar calls frankfurter.

But I have a sweet tooth, so I actually prefer cake.

touche  :thumbup:

There's no substitute for experience.

Yes like when I tried to replace the drum brake shoes on my wifes car rear wheels and could not get all back in, needed to remove other wheel to figure out how it work, back to other wheel to fix my botched job...hehehe. lesson learned

One of the landies I also would not mind owning.

The thing that I learned, from this thread, is it that there are way too many people working on their own bikes by the looks of i

The thing that I picked up from this thread is that there are far to many people working on their bikes who shouldn't be. ;)

The thing that I picked up from this thread is that there are far to many people working on their bikes who shouldn't be. ;)

Our Grandfathers were much more proficient when it comes to mechanical tasks than us lot... which is sad actually.

Had a fun experience just the other day - did a quick lube service on my fox float CTD shock, and once cleaned, relubed, with float fluid in the right places, it was time to simply bring the can back up to the too threads and screw together...

Struggled like a bastard trying to get the can close enough to the threads, hurt palms, etc... Until I realised the CTD switch had moved from the D to the T.... Flicked it back, and the easiest thing in the world...

The silliest things...

We've also learnt that there are many people who go trough life with "ronde handtjies" as we say. ^_^

can't wait for the zombie apocalypse 

i personally learned how to fix things by breaking them countless times ever since I was a kid. The knowledge of how things work only comes form taking them apart imo. 

I've broken and fixed cars, bikes, bicycles, computers, appliances, toys, electricity, plumbing etc etc etc lol. I now consider myself a proper jack all trades,  even though I am formally trained as an Architect.

I'm VERY hands on. I don't just like drawing pretty pictures as some people say....I like building **** myself too when the opportunity presents itself . I've worked on sites with labourers, in carpentry studios with joiners, tagged along with electricians and plumbers...so I could learn how to build things and how they are put together...whats the point in designing crap if you have no idea of how parts exist in the whole? :whistling:

I have a weird thing for manuals. When my wife got a new car, I used the manual for some light bedtime reading material.

I also have a drawer in my workshop with all the manuals that I got with my bikes, and all the pdfs I printed down the line.

My GF thought I was off my head reading the manual when I get my car. But there are things I never would have known otherwise, some of which are pretty useful.

:lol:

Ja, those BMW engined 2.8 shortys were (are) great.