Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

Couldn't find an obvious thread on truing your own wheel.

Any tips from the experienced guys, or should I just pay the LBS to do it?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a.k.a. spookpis

I've always referred to Q20 as spookpis, mostly due to my dad yelling from the underside of a car "hierdie fkn ding wil nie los nie, gee my die spookpis" as if I'd instinctively know what that is and only after failed attempt two being advised "hoe moeilik kan dit wees?!? Die Q20!".

Unless you have a spare 954 hours I would suggest let the LBS do it  :whistling:

Such a Noob, should take no less than 600hrs with some practice

Would you say roughly 354hrs of practice?  :ph34r:

Fairly conclusive then, I have more than enough time to figure this out by myself before the event on Sunday.

LBS it is...

Next time... Spanjaard penetrating oil.

If penetrating oil works it wasn't stuck.

Someone posted links to threads earlier where the chemical binding mechanism is explained, have a read.

Pulling or accidentally push or knock the brake lever without having a clip in.

Removing a cassette in a rush and ended up damaging the cassette so much that some of the gears slipped the whole time no matter what.

Doing multiple stuff at the same and having a phone call on loud speaker ended up with a tubeless installation done but with the tyre's rotation the wrong way.

Doing bike maintenance (clean chain and rings etc.) without wearing gloves. Not really an issue but just saves you so much time, I don't mind dirty hands at all but since I started wearing gloves I will never stop.

Gave my headset a nice proper service but broke the bottom bearing's seal ring.

Put on new lock on grips forgot to tighten them hopped on the bike and in this motion slipped and my feet got stuck and tangled and ended on the floor.

Figured out that there is a L and R pedal after installation.

The list is really long haha

But the best for me is:

Offering to help/fix something on a bike for someone but it ends up being much worse than expected and the person then blames/avoids you and even says you scratched their stanchion.

Getting a drop of oil/grease on a surface that absolutely does not want oil/grease on it.

Youtube is dangerous. Read the manual.

I have a weird thing for manuals. When my wife got a new car, I used the manual for some light bedtime reading material.

I also have a drawer in my workshop with all the manuals that I got with my bikes, and all the pdfs I printed down the line.

I have a weird thing for manuals. When my wife got a new car, I used the manual for some light bedtime reading material.

I also have a drawer in my workshop with all the manuals that I got with my bikes, and all the pdfs I printed down the line.

:eek:

Thought I was the only one with fork and shock service manuals printed in a file.

My face palm moment was servicing my rear shock from the manual, the last few steps was assembly and I could not for the life of me get the shock to screw together. After almost giving up and having one last look at the manual, turns out the last page had a back with two more steps, I only had to put the half-assembled shock back into the frame and use the leverage get the  two sections close enough to screw toghether.

Quick question, how do you deal with a stiff link in the chain? I don't want to do something that would potentially weaken it.

Quick question, how do you deal with a stiff link in the chain? I don't want to do something that would potentially weaken it.

You tell it to think about it's grandma and fat chicks ;) usually works.

wiggle wiggle and flex the chain at the stiff link ... would be better to show you how this works vs my description....but at least it is better than the fat granny option offered by that Greasy Monkey guy