Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

Dont believe the Online store that the bike work stand you bought is a wall mount.

I bought a stand a few months back, only recently got around to making a bracket to clamp it in the bench vice.

Test it out with the lightest bike I have (+/- 9.5kg) and the one arms just turns. Tried to tighten the plastic clamp as tight as I could without snapping it and the arm still turns.

Then proceeded to use a piece of inner tube between the clamp and the mounting arms, it still wasnt the greatest.

Only then did I start googling and found out the work stand is a bench mount, this makes perfect sense now looking at the design.

So now I will need to redesign the bracket and maybe go back to my original idea of mounting on the roof of the workshed.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regularly check pivot (and other) bolts to make sure they aren't loose  :blush:

Thought there was an issue with the shock, turns out that the pivot bolt had worked itself loose causing it to scrape and eventually knock against the frame. Loctite would probably have been a good option here.

Hopefully it hasn't damaged the frame's integrity too much. I think it's time to upgrade to a more trail oriented bike anyway.

post-19687-0-30652200-1581754281_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jacquers

• 2 months later...

Since everyone has been playing with their bike during lockdown, it’s time to revive this thread.

Jockey wheel pulleys have pretty arrows on them, they are not just there to make them look pretty.

I thought I bent the RD cage when I stripped the bike, the chain kept wanting to jump off, some how I got a brain wave that told me to strip the RD again and make sure I put everything back properly, that’s when I discovered the stupid error.

Pay attention to which way you install your bottle cage, don’t put it on upside down.

Wasn’t liking how difficult it was to get the bottle out of the down tube cage on the Giant, decided I was going to swap it with the one on the Scott.

Installed the one on the Giant the right way, but as I’m putting the Scott back into the garage I notice me the cage is on upside down.

Edited by ouzo

Pay attention to which way you install your bottle cage, don’t put it on upside down.

That is hilarious  :clap:

• 5 months later...

Bottom loading brake pads are a pain - you have to remove the caliper to replace them and it increases the chance of the pads falling out if you make a mistake when replacing them. If you don't clip in the H spring on old Avid brakes properly (step 5) then you might lose a brake pad on the trail like I did  :blush:

post-19687-0-31377000-1604471589_thumb.jpg

any tips for the stem alignment.......

still relevant. 

Get two thin dowels and cable tie them to the fork legs. (not sure if this will work on road bike. 

Now let these point up past your bars. Measure the distance between the bar and the dowel on each side until you get it spot on. Tighten everything up. 

The next move is super handy and will ensure that you get it spot on every time after that. Take a pick or a knife or anything sharp and mark the steerer of the fork through the opening of the stem at the back if it has this opening. Now you have the centre of the steerer tube. 

Next time you install a stem you just line up the marking with the stem opening and you'll have it spot on. 

still relevant. 

Get two thin dowels and cable tie them to the fork legs. (not sure if this will work on road bike. 

Now let these point up past your bars. Measure the distance between the bar and the dowel on each side until you get it spot on. Tighten everything up. 

The next move is super handy and will ensure that you get it spot on every time after that. Take a pick or a knife or anything sharp and mark the steerer of the fork through the opening of the stem at the back if it has this opening. Now you have the centre of the steerer tube. 

Next time you install a stem you just line up the marking with the stem opening and you'll have it spot on. 

what happens if you have a 'dale ?

But, I'm so using this trick. My OCD cant take the 1-2 deg out that I always land up wth.

what happens if you have a 'dale ?

But, I'm so using this trick. My OCD cant take the 1-2 deg out that I always land up wth.

Ummm... Can't you use a 90 degree straight edge to line the stem and top crown up?

How does your OCD handle only having one for leg?

Edited by DR ◣◢

Ummm... Can't you use a 90 degree straight edge to line the stem and top crown up?

How does your OCD handle only having one for leg?

I dont have a 'dale, so no OCD issues with one fork leg. :)

Removing a tight fitting floor pump from a presta valve results in bleeding knuckles...

Every. Single. Time

Just wear your cycling gloves when using the floor pump .... or buy a new bike (N+1 conspiracy theory)

I bought  a Lezyne overdrive pump a few weeks back because 4 Bar is plenty in 2020 and I wanted a higher resolution gauge.

Never has inflating a tyre been such a chore. The chuck screws onto the valve but it's so tight it unscrews the valve from the rim in the process and when removing the chuck you're lucky if it doesn't bring the valve core with it.

Very disappointed with this upgrade.

Removing a tight fitting floor pump from a presta valve results in bleeding knuckles...

Every. Single. Time

I have a set of builders gloves next to my floor pump for this very reason - most of my bike injuries come from maintanence

Every. Single. Time

The key is don't do it with one hand, if it's tight inch it off with 2 hands.

But then again there's usually only one hand free because the bike is trying to fall on you while you pump and fall onto a facebrick wall and put hell scratches in your priceless paintwork/stanchions, the stress just ratchets up and then BANG you skin your knuckles doing a basic thing like pulling the pump off and the ride hasn't even begun...

[emoji848][emoji23][emoji23]