Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Inflating a new tubeless tyre to 3.5bar so it stretches to full capacity and expands nicely - cool idea - sit them outside in the sun for the afternoon to ensure full expansion - cool idea.

that's where I should have left it but noooooo. Pump till over 4bar. and park in the same room where I am sitting working - next moment - 3hours later - BANG!!!! ears ringing, sealant on the roof, the cupboard, the lcd on the wall, across my table, floor, bike etc. Looked like a very hectic night was had by more than just 2 people...

checked the tyre etc - all fine. Refitted and inflated and topped up sealant - all good and been riding for the last 600km no further issue...

I had a good laugh at this. The mind thinks in pictures they say. You just played a lekker clip. Thanks.

Totally newbie question: what does “LBS” stand for?? Tried to figure it out: Low Budget “Something” ..???

LBS = Local Bike Shop

https://bikerumor.com/2020/11/04/get-your-handlebar-and-front-wheel-perfectly-aligned-w-dnr-designs-new-tool/

Overkill for most of us, but maybe nice for a workshop.

* the dowel idea sounds like it will work, but the one I've seen at builders are as straight as bananas.

Tune did one with a lazer a few years back

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/tune-spurtreu-stem-alignment-tool-review/

Only $95...

I have heard that Spray ‘n Cook also does a superb job

Some dishwashing soap in water in a spray bottle.

To get grips off shove a screw driver between the grip and the handlebar and spray into the gap.

Do this in one or two places and grip slides off

Wrong forum. The one you are looking for is Low Budget Strippers.

I thought Patch stopped stripping after the non vegan cream on the cake at the vegan birthday party?

Some dishwashing soap in water in a spray bottle.

To get grips off shove a screw driver between the grip and the handlebar and spray into the gap.

Do this in one or two places and grip slides off

Can also be done with compressed air for motorcycle grips; on & off (googly is your friend).

I also see lock on grips (first I saw were Spez 12 years ago or so) have made it to dirt bikes; finally!

It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to use Super Glue and not get it on my fingers. Even if needing a single drop for the simplest of situations, I’ll end up with at least two/three fingers buggered.

Superglue works well as a plaster, e.g. for places like knuckles or a small scratch you want to keep sealed.

Superglue works well as a plaster, e.g. for places like knuckles or a small scratch you want to keep sealed.

And cuts. Amazing how much you can glue together when it comes to the human body.

Oh!!! This reminds me.

So after my bike got stolen and returned. I stripped it down to nuts and bolts. I proceed to take the pedals off first. I position myself over the bike to get centered and have the right leverage/angle to push down with the wrench. It was obviously tight.

I summon my inner hulk and it finally budges...instantly, to my subsequent dismay.

All the force of my action now had no more equal and opposite reaction, so my chect hit the toptube with enough force to give myself a pulmonary contusion (bruised lung), and yes...bloody knuckles hahaha.

No seriously, not that funny. Took 4 weeks to heal up and breathing to not hurt lol.

Reminds me of the time I tore a 'rib cartilage' trying to loosen a very stubborn BB cup also chest over the top tube pulling up with as much force as I could muster [emoji53]

Honestly thought I was having a heart attack... Initially even the medical personnel at the emergency were convinced!