Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

The key is don't do it with one hand, if it's tight inch it off with 2 hands.

But then again there's usually only one hand free because the bike is trying to fall on you while you pump and fall onto a facebrick wall and put hell scratches in your priceless paintwork/stanchions, the stress just ratchets up and then BANG you skin your knuckles doing a basic thing like pulling the pump off and the ride hasn't even begun...

[emoji848][emoji23][emoji23]

This is me yes.

And you always say it wont happen again, and then next time....

hi Mr Knuckle, meet Mr Spoke, Cassette, Derailleur and finally....you seem really unlucky today, so say hi to Dr Brake Disk too. Your sacrificial blood will be considered a right of passage. Have a nice ride!

Edited by morneS555

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is me yes.

And you always say it wont happen again, and then next time....

hi Mr Knuckle, meet Mr Spoke, Cassette, Derailleur and finally....you seem really unlucky today, so say hi to Dr Brake Disk too. Your sacrificial blood will be considered a right of passage. Have a nice ride!

The disc is one of the worst, been there

The front chainring can easily draw blood when working on pedals.

Oh!!! This reminds me.

So after my bike got stolen and returned. I stripped it down to nuts and bolts. I proceed to take the pedals off first. I position myself over the bike to get centered and have the right leverage/angle to push down with the wrench. It was obviously tight.

I summon my inner hulk and it finally budges...instantly, to my subsequent dismay.

All the force of my action now had no more equal and opposite reaction, so my chect hit the toptube with enough force to give myself a pulmonary contusion (bruised lung), and yes...bloody knuckles hahaha.

No seriously, not that funny. Took 4 weeks to heal up and breathing to not hurt lol.

The front chainring can easily draw blood when working on pedals.

A nice and sharp worn chainring can lift a nice flap of skin on your knuckles .... #BeenThereDoneThat

On the pump thing, I put my fingers on the rim and pop the pump head off with my thumbs, like you would when going for poles playing coin rugby.

Hands stay put, pump head pops off, boom. Robert is your father's brother

I while back I got my thumb in the disc brake while the rear wheel was spinning stopping the wheel instantly with some agonizing pain.

Needless to say the nail came off a few days later and took a few months to grow back, will never make that stupid mistake again.

I while back I got my thumb in the disc brake while the rear wheel was spinning stopping the wheel instantly with some agonizing pain.

Needless to say the nail came off a few days later and took a few months to grow back, will never make that stupid mistake again.

The nail on my left index finger is busy growing back as I'm typing this, but I managed to rip it off right there and then...

On the pump thing, I put my fingers on the rim and pop the pump head off with my thumbs, like you would when going for poles playing coin rugby.

Hands stay put, pump head pops off, boom. Robert is your father's brother

What is this “rugby” you speak of ? ???? Edited by morneS555

These hand injuries always remind me - wear those mechanics gloves, even washing the bike as water seems to soften the skin and easy to graze.

Tubeless tales. Well, going against plenty of advice and YouTube, Gorilla tape is not the cure all for me. I applied it but maybe took the tensioning a bit too seriously resulting in a few scuffed areas. The tyre would hold air but even with sealant, gradually go flat. Peeled off the Gorilla tape; man that stuff leaves a nasty glue!. .Eventually cleaned the rim and bought the semi transparent genuwine rim tape so you can see the air gaps; squeezed them out and now the tyre is holding (just checked). Patched the tube for a spare (ja Mr Borman) and, hopefully, we are in business.

Conclusion. Still cannot get a tubeless tyre to seat with only a floor pump (it is a beast of a tyre at 1kg) and without sealant a tubeless tyre will not stay up (mine anyway). Will hold but slow leaks around the bead.

These hand injuries always remind me - wear those mechanics gloves, even washing the bike as water seems to soften the skin and easy to graze.

Tubeless tales. Well, going against plenty of advice and YouTube, Gorilla tape is not the cure all for me. I applied it but maybe took the tensioning a bit too seriously resulting in a few scuffed areas. The tyre would hold air but even with sealant, gradually go flat. Peeled off the Gorilla tape; man that stuff leaves a nasty glue!. .Eventually cleaned the rim and bought the semi transparent genuwine rim tape so you can see the air gaps; squeezed them out and now the tyre is holding (just checked). Patched the tube for a spare (ja Mr Borman) and, hopefully, we are in business.

Conclusion. Still cannot get a tubeless tyre to seat with only a floor pump (it is a beast of a tyre at 1kg) and without sealant a tubeless tyre will not stay up (mine anyway). Will hold but slow leaks around the bead.

Tire/rim combo dependent too. The new Schwalbe tires on my rims, tubeless...I swear it’s borderline impossible...the sidewall just sits in the centre channel and wont budge. in contrast, ONZA ibex’s went on and seated with air only...and a floor pump. No sweating, no soap water..nothing.

Tire/rim combo dependent too. The new Schwalbe tires on my rims, tubeless...I swear it’s borderline impossible...the sidewall just sits in the centre channel and wont budge. in contrast, ONZA ibex’s went on and seated with air only...and a floor pump. No sweating, no soap water..nothing.

Yup. Ibex you can seat with a straw and a pair of lungs. 

I have to bomb and use a compressor on the Schwalbe's to get them to seat. 

When I got the 4x4 I bought a proper 160l/min compressor that is adapted to inflate presta valves. Even at that capacity the Schwalbe told me to get stuffed. 

Edited by DR ◣◢

Inflating a new tubeless tyre to 3.5bar so it stretches to full capacity and expands nicely - cool idea - sit them outside in the sun for the afternoon to ensure full expansion - cool idea.

that's where I should have left it but noooooo. Pump till over 4bar. and park in the same room where I am sitting working - next moment - 3hours later - BANG!!!! ears ringing, sealant on the roof, the cupboard, the lcd on the wall, across my table, floor, bike etc. Looked like a very hectic night was had by more than just 2 people...

checked the tyre etc - all fine. Refitted and inflated and topped up sealant - all good and been riding for the last 600km no further issue... 

Inflating a new tubeless tyre to 3.5bar so it stretches to full capacity and expands nicely - cool idea - sit them outside in the sun for the afternoon to ensure full expansion - cool idea.

that's where I should have left it but noooooo. Pump till over 4bar. and park in the same room where I am sitting working - next moment - 3hours later - BANG!!!! ears ringing, sealant on the roof, the cupboard, the lcd on the wall, across my table, floor, bike etc. Looked like a very hectic night was had by more than just 2 people...

checked the tyre etc - all fine. Refitted and inflated and topped up sealant - all good and been riding for the last 600km no further issue...

It's not the tyre you need to check - have a look and see if the rim has cracked anywhere. Unlikely, but that is what usually get damaged.

You just reminded me of that pain, fecken awful