Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

I recently broke a spoke and I'm going to try and fix it myself. There might be a few lessons involved ;)

So.. some lessons learned so far:

- You definitely need a proper spoke wrench / tool! Nipples are easy to gouge / round and once you've done that you need a new one. A shifting spanner can work in an emergency, but can still easily round it. The spoke tool that's on most multi tools doesn't offer enough surface area and causes more damage.

- The direction of loosening / tightening nipples can easily catch you out as it's the opposite of what you might be used to, depending on the direction you view the rim from.

- Stopping spokes from rotating while tightening can be tricky. Lubrication is key. It can be even more difficult to hold them still when trying to remove old spokes from a donor wheel. My donor wheelset has bladed spokes, so it's actually a bit easier to hold them.

- The spokes on my donor wheelset are shorter than the ones on the wheel I want to fix :( I has a different version of the hub, so I need to head to the lbs for the correct length spoke.

Next time you need to pay your lbs for working on your bike, remember that you are also paying for the knowledge they have and the lessons they've learned ;)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll dig up something from the archives when I have time, but it definitely came from a reliable source.

Not really necessary. I tried some experiments with a syringe. water itself is a problem but a bigger problem is water with detergent in it..that causes the most severe lubricant washing from the walls of the tube (and hence the bushes and seals).

The amount of water is also a contributor.

So.. some lessons learned so far:

- You definitely need a proper spoke wrench / tool! Nipples are easy to gouge / round and once you've done that you need a new one. A shifting spanner can work in an emergency, but can still easily round it. The spoke tool that's on most multi tools doesn't offer enough surface area and causes more damage.

- The direction of loosening / tightening nipples can easily catch you out as it's the opposite of what you might be used to, depending on the direction you view the rim from.

- Stopping spokes from rotating while tightening can be tricky. Lubrication is key. It can be even more difficult to hold them still when trying to remove old spokes from a donor wheel. My donor wheelset has bladed spokes, so it's actually a bit easier to hold them.

- The spokes on my donor wheelset are shorter than the ones on the wheel I want to fix :( I has a different version of the hub, so I need to head to the lbs for the correct length spoke.

Next time you need to pay your lbs for working on your bike, remember that you are also paying for the knowledge they have and the lessons they've learned ;)

The Park Tool Pro spoke keys are awesome, used a few different makes and they were head and shoulders above the others.

Repect to all the LBS mechanics. You have skills. Shout out to you guys. Unsung heroes.

Now to the topic:

1. Sram 12sp Power links do not work with KMC 12sp chains. The fit is too tight causing the chain to jump. One hell of a bugger to remove said powerlink. Just get a chain breaker and destroy powerlink and hope it did not crush the roller to bad. Might get you out of a pinch if you are out on a trail, but else use the correct connector. Why are KMC 12sp missing links so damn hard to find?!?! (please DM me if you know who has stock)

2. Always keep the cut off chain when you cut your chain to size. Incase you, 1 either loose a roller when the chain is removed and cleaned or, 2 in case of the above where you crushed the roller. 

3. Reuse old chains to replace the chain on the chain whip. I have found that the default chains that come on whips do not work well on 12sp cassettes. Have acutally found them bending the teeth.

1: A chain link pliers will remove any link without having to destroy it with a chain breaker.

my last KMC missing links were bought at sportsmans warehouse.

3: yes, one size chain might not fit all, although if you replace your whip chain with a piece of 12sp chain it should work for all others.

That said, the whip is merely to hold the cassette still, whilst your lock nut remover does its thing. If its fit is slightly off, it should not really be a problem. Bending teeth? sideways?

My brother (17) went full vegan 7 months ago and got significant results with his cycling.His dissipline is only road. He encouraged me to do the same so I'm also vegan but only for 2 week so far. Id like you guys to go watch this movie on Netflix it's called 'The Game Changer'. The movie is really an eye opener and gives you a greater understanding about veganism.

My brother (17) went full vegan 7 months ago and got significant results with his cycling.His dissipline is only road. He encouraged me to do the same so I'm also vegan but only for 2 week so far. Id like you guys to go watch this movie on Netflix it's called 'The Game Changer'. The movie is really an eye opener and gives you a greater understanding about veganism.

Okay, so what does this have to do with the price of eggs?  :wacko:

Okay, so what does this have to do with the price of eggs? :wacko:

No we don't eat eggs... ????

But it makes you a better cyclist. ????

When you've done with that, watch 'The Magic Pill'... 

No it won't

I get just as much as protein in as you do. My 1 cup of lentils a day is higher in protein than any meat. Just go watch the movie.

Dude won't know .... he does not shop for eggs anymore so won't know the current pricing

Touche but posting about becoming a vegan in a thread about being your own mechanic just don't add up  :huh: But hey, it's Friday :clap:

Edited by BikeisLife

Touche but posting about becoming a vegan in a thread about being your own mechanic just don't add up  :huh: But hey, it's Friday :clap:

Fully agree!

Was chatting to a life long vegan the other day and her pet gripe are the "militant vegans" that are out there shoving their lifestyle choices onto everyone....