[Event] West Coast Express

Kall

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did us three finish together [emoji1690]

Yep! Racetec have left me out of the results though, I am going to send in a query.

Yep! Racetec have left me out of the results though, I am going to send in a query.

Look like a lot of people are left out. There are at least 5 names missing in the top 10.

Started in the combined I-L group. Going out on the R27 we had a "squirrel" in front of us, this guy was just weaving in and out, slowing down, accelerating again, etc. I had a chat with a chap on a Mtb next to me, after the umpteenth time the squirrel switched someone,  still told him he was lucky on the Mtb, as he can take evasive action to the verge, should something happen. 

About 7 km out, it happened, squirrel switched the lady in front of me, taking her front wheel out. She went down hard, right in front of me. I grabbed a handful of brakes, but at +30km/h, there was no stopping in time. I slammed into the side of her, also going down. I half landed on top of her as we went skidding over the tar, bikes following us. Luckily everybody else managed to avoid us. 

I helped her out of the road and sat with her for a while till the first Marshall arrived.

She complained of her left shoulder, and wrist. I also landed on my shoulder and hip, but half landed on top of her, she took the brunt of it. (I hope she is OK, I felt so bad for falling on top of her)

After the Marshall arrived, I straightened my bike and got going again, the bunch out of sight already. I set off after them, in no mans land between the two start groups. 

It was a lonely and painful ride from there on. I started cramping badly due to the fact that I was trying to favor my right leg/hip. I ended up crawling over the mats, both legs in spasms.

But hey, I did not end up last in the group, even if it felt like it on the route. 

Started in the combined I-L group. Going out on the R27 we had a "squirrel" in front of us, this guy was just weaving in and out, slowing down, accelerating again, etc. I had a chat with a chap on a Mtb next to me, after the umpteenth time the squirrel switched someone,  still told him he was lucky on the Mtb, as he can take evasive action to the verge, should something happen. 

About 7 km out, it happened, squirrel switched the lady in front of me, taking her front wheel out. She went down hard, right in front of me. I grabbed a handful of brakes, but at +30km/h, there was no stopping in time. I slammed into the side of her, also going down. I half landed on top of her as we went skidding over the tar, bikes following us. Luckily everybody else managed to avoid us. 

I helped her out of the road and sat with her for a while till the first Marshall arrived.

She complained of her left shoulder, and wrist. I also landed on my shoulder and hip, but half landed on top of her, she took the brunt of it. (I hope she is OK, I felt so bad for falling on top of her)

After the Marshall arrived, I straightened my bike and got going again, the bunch out of sight already. I set off after them, in no mans land between the two start groups. 

It was a lonely and painful ride from there on. I started cramping badly due to the fact that I was trying to favor my right leg/hip. I ended up crawling over the mats, both legs in spasms.

But hey, I did not end up last in the group, even if it felt like it on the route. 

Really sucks when experience and that 6th sense warns you of the accident that's about to happen but when that accident happens you are still caught up in it  :cursing:

Glad you managed to finish the race though

Edited by Skubarra

40% less entries than last year .. 60% less than average

really wondering why noone is doing events anymore . Saturation of market?

Edit, formatting 

post-28252-0-19278200-1568018079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Karman de Lange

Wow thats terrible turnout. The initial forecast was lots of wind but that changed a few days before. Weather was excellent.

Couldn't ask for an easier race to kickoff the season.

40% less entries than last year .. 60% less than average

really wondering why noone is doing events anymore . Saturation of market?

Edit, formatting 

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

This weekend also had the popular Piketberg & Fedhealth events (Fedhealth on its own had almost 1000 entrants)

And yes, I think people are doing less events. Partly expense and partly the multiple trail options nowadays, people will rather go ride trails with mates and have a beer/coffee afterwards than "race" an event.

Started in the combined I-L group. Going out on the R27 we had a "squirrel" in front of us, this guy was just weaving in and out, slowing down, accelerating again, etc. I had a chat with a chap on a Mtb next to me, after the umpteenth time the squirrel switched someone, still told him he was lucky on the Mtb, as he can take evasive action to the verge, should something happen.

That's the reason I gave it a miss this year

All five guys from our office that did it last year didn't do it this year. Not sure what the reasons are, we didn't really discuss it. For me personally there's just too many races now and this one got cut because it's a bit of a drive for us to get to the start line.

Started in the combined I-L group. Going out on the R27 we had a "squirrel" in front of us, this guy was just weaving in and out, slowing down, accelerating again, etc. I had a chat with a chap on a Mtb next to me, after the umpteenth time the squirrel switched someone, still told him he was lucky on the Mtb, as he can take evasive action to the verge, should something happen.

Next time be that guy and speak to the “idiot” and tell him/her to either ride straight or sit at back...( my favorite pastime ). He/she probably did not even know he/she was doing it , not an excuse, but he/she might always ride on his own and not know... Edited by Karman de Lange