How often do you really use your GoPro?

Markellis

If you're looking at buying one for cycling you'll either have to get a high quality wearable gimbal or the newer gopro with the improved stabilization.

Without a stabilizer the footage looks trash when the trails get bumpy...If you have the correct hardware a gopro/action cam is an amazing piece of equipment.

Also, consider other manufacturers - I owned a few gopro cameras and NON of them came close to the Garmin Virb ultra 30. It's also a bit cheaper too.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha I found that all gopro footage of me riding was as boring as the *** handycam movies my grandfather used to make us watch of his trips and cruises.

He was so proud and got so excited, but in reality it was lame.

I wouldn't dream of making anyone sit through my ill attempts at shredding the gnar and churning the loam...... 

This was the video that convinced me NOT to buy a GoPro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwK5fN4Qfg

Talking about action cam stabilization, go check out the dji action cam better than a gopro in my opinion. That being said I don't own one for the same reasons already given above.

Yeah, time for editing is vital.

Found some footage in a folder on my work pc yesterday, was really cool to go through, brought back fond memories.

I would say, if you want to capture stuff for your own consumption go fo it.

If you want to capture stuff to publish, you will need a lot more than one camera, and loads of time/money

If you want to get yourself a "GoPro" get a cheap knock-off  :D. I've dabbled in the GoPro market because I thought it would be cool to torture my wife with some footage of me huffing and puffing during a race. 

So here's what I did and my conclusion: 

Before a race in Clarens during the month of May I bought this one: 

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/432629394/HD_1080P_MJPEG_2_inch_LCD_IP68_30m_Waterproof_Sports_Action_Camera_DVR.html

I used the bar mount on it and the route was rocky and bumpy so the thing kept dropping, this also scratched the bar so I removed the thing mid ride. I then used it for pictures during the ride rather than videos  :). The ride was quite technical and falls were plentiful so I lost the thing coming down the mountain  :oops:. Fortunately the thing cost me like R200.00 and did not bother me for losing it. 

I then found this bad boy for like R90.00 for the Baviaans

https://www.takealot.com/bunker-sq8-hd-camera-1080p/PLID54968983?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0YrHtfe25AIVCM13Ch09hA6EEAQYASABEgLRbPD_BwE

As mentioned I wanted something light and small that I could just strap onto the camelbak and then take kiekies / videos during the ride. 

This FAILED MISERABLY  :lol:

The thing is very small, I mean I used a cable tie to fix it to the camelbak strap. With the size comes the complexity of using it, it only have like 2 buttons and an LED shows in which mode it is. Problem was that you cant see the LED during the day  :stupid:

My conclusion: Don't spend a couple of grand or more on a GoPro, get yourself an knockoff on Bid Or Buy and play with it until the novelty wears off or you get really good at it  :thumbup:  

hahaha I found that all gopro footage of me riding was as boring as the *** handycam movies my grandfather used to make us watch of his trips and cruises.

He was so proud and got so excited, but in reality it was lame.

I wouldn't dream of making anyone sit through my ill attempts at shredding the gnar and churning the loam......

Yeah have thought about getting one myself

But then reality kicks in

I will bore myself to death with my own videos

I use mine relatively often. Also for fishing/riding/running but mostly when we travel to take quick pics and videos. I like the fact that I can just put it in my pocket, and I’m not that into photography that I need a super camera. I like it and I’m glad I have one. Would like to get the 7 black tho. That stabilization is pretty sweet.

I ride with mine permanently.Never know when i might need it for evidence in court but hardly overload to my pc.

Have had a Hero 5 for 2 years. Bought it against my wife's wishes to capture our holidays, and for the kids to use to get creative. Used in in Croatia just after I bought it. Downloaded the vids, have never looked at them again. Have taken it on 2 holidays since and probably shot 3 minutes on it, which I've never downloaded. 

Kids have shown zero interest in it either. 

Have 2 action cams, usage is fairly often but not only cycling.

Body boarding, snorkelling, trail runs,beach with kids, holidays.

The Garmin Virb has the GPS data included which makes your rides and runs videos much more interesting, can link heart rate and cadence which adds more data to the visual.

If you can afford one get one.

Promise not to post the video's to thehub or create a YouTube channel.

(Worse still create a YouTube channel and then ask the guys on thehub to subscribe - just NO!)

Use Pinkbike instead.

Edited by porqui

I use mine regularly, with the intention to show my family members where I go. They live in different parts of the world. I even managed to get one of my siblings to start mountain biking.

Must say the editing is a grind, but that said I always see a few things I missed