How often do you really use your GoPro?

Markellis

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use mine regularly, with the intention to show my family members where I go. They live in different parts of the world. I even managed to get one of my siblings to start mountain biking.

Must say the editing is a grind, but that said I always see a few things I missed

Your family members are probably just being polite [emoji23]

We did a family outing kayaking from 3 anchor bay (grew up in Jhb so boats never been my thing) and used the gopro to make some really nice videos of all of us fumbling about on the water - including S.O. panic stricken annoyance as I almost ran us onto the rocks trying to retrieve my cricket cap (12 seasons, weather beaten and sentimentally valuable) which blew off. I've used it to video myself getting dropped on the first hill of the 99er and once or twice on the mountain. 

Then a while back I went to charge t with a view to taking it to the TransBaviaans (missed it because flu) and it wouldn't charge or power on. Bought at Takealot and it still had 3 weeks of warranty left. Not expecting much I contacted Omnico - next day a courier collected it, 3 days later the courier dropped off a new one.

Paired it up and have some ideas about documenting a return to fitness after 4 weeks (and counting) of snotty nose, chesty cough caused by a bug that thumbs it's nose at Augmentin and flips the bird at azithromycin.

What I have realised being ill is just how much time I spend training - maybe the break is a good thing. But boy do I miss standing up out saddle to finish Chappies strong or dropping in to Patrick's psycho plunge ....

next time I'll have the gopro on.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a GoPro but worried it might just land up in the drawer or in the cupboard.

For those of you who have them, do you use them every ride?

How many of you have them and don't use them?

Would I need a super powerful laptop or PC to edit the content?

I travel extensively for work and was wondering if it would double-up as a nice little travel camera.

Bought one in 2012 when I started cycling, probably used it a handful of times, for me it was a waste of money, it comes down to editing clips and loading them up. Edited by DjCyclist

Thanks all for the replies, seems like a real mixed bag.

Probably best I look out for a decent 2nd hand one and see if I find value in it.

Would a Hero 5 or 6 still be good enough? Or is the 7 black the one to get?

Thanks all for the replies, seems like a real mixed bag.

Probably best I look out for a decent 2nd hand one and see if I find value in it.

Would a Hero 5 or 6 still be good enough? Or is the 7 black the one to get?

session5 is dirt cheap ( new and used ) and it punched way above its weight and it has a tiny form factor 

its got many modes and super capability so i'd say get one cause you won't regret not using it as much as you would ith the new 7

If you're looking at buying one for cycling you'll either have to get a high quality wearable gimbal or the newer gopro with the improved stabilization.

Without a stabilizer the footage looks trash when the trails get bumpy...If you have the correct hardware a gopro/action cam is an amazing piece of equipment.

Also, consider other manufacturers - I owned a few gopro cameras and NON of them came close to the Garmin Virb ultra 30. It's also a bit cheaper too.

Have the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30, it was better until GoPro released the 7, upped their framerates and added Hypersmooth..and is waterproof without a housing, I also have a wearable gimbal and used to use it all the time, now with hypersmooth not so much...maybe Garmin will bring out a new VIRB?

JA I have the session 5 - I don't have a basis for comparison but it is very good. Need to get second hand I think because it is discontinued.

session5 is dirt cheap ( new and used ) and it punched way above its weight and it has a tiny form factor 

its got many modes and super capability so i'd say get one cause you won't regret not using it as much as you would ith the new 7

Sounds like the Pity Laugh I get from my wife when I make a dad joke.

What do you call it when a ghost goes to the bathroom?

As like most guys have already commented, the novelty wears off rather quick, 

especially once you see how lame you actually are at single track, 

before i got my GoPro i was convinced i could give greg minnaar a run for his money

until i saw the actual footage, the only way i could possibly describe how i looked would be to liken myself to a "fat kid fighting to to open his lunch box" 

but that said, i have used it on every holiday, strapped to a scooter in phuket, to diving in greece

it really is handy to have around, but don't buy it exclusively for cycling, 

I have 2 Garmin virb's - I use them during lunchtime road training sessions - one front and one rear facing - don't do anything with the video unless there is a close pass or stupid driver I can identify - in which case their company gets a complaint - and a video clip - sometimes this has a good effect - sometimes it's a waste of time.