The Munga 2019

Ramrod

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think the chances are for MK to make it to Doolhof before the cut? She's the only dot left in the race I know..right at the back

Madeleen has caught up with three other guys through the night.. looks like they are sticking together at the back. I think mentally that will be a boost for her rather than pedalling alone in last place, 70km behind the Cut-Off dot.

Madeleen has caught up with three other guys through the night.. looks like they are sticking together at the back. I think mentally that will be a boost for her rather than pedalling alone in last place, 70km behind the Cut-Off dot.

All four of these riders and Nina Long have no leeway in terms of any rest they will have to ride non stop to the finish if the want to make the cut. It is a tough ask on the hardest part of the course.

TC and FP off course with less than 70km to go, let's hope they turn around.

Edit: looks like they've turned.

Edited by River Rat

Something happened between these two athletes on the open plains that none of us will be able to grasp.

The word that could somehow be used to describe the ... is camaraderie

Or Ubuntu

^ Mutual respect for each other.

And about that Curve (thank you for the info chaps). Um ... N+2.  :)

All four of these riders and Nina Long have no leeway in terms of any rest they will have to ride non stop to the finish if the want to make the cut. It is a tough ask on the hardest part of the course.

my nerves are no longer for these folk.

It is going to be a long 24 hrs!

does anyone know what is happening 1.9km to the finish?

It shows the dot of DS Dana Schutte resting there for over 10 hours ???

does anyone know what is happening 1.9km to the finish?

It shows the dot of DS Dana Schutte resting there for over 10 hours ???

Those Trackers are not working great. Dana was riding most of the way with Jack Black and he finished at 20:35 last night already even though his tracker says he is only at 800kms, so I am sure Dana is also finished

Personally, I really liked what they did and I don't feel for me that it detracted one iota from the excitement of seeing who would be the 'winner'. There were 2 winners and very well deserved to both of them.

So what happens if the leading group of three* get together in Ceres and decide to ride in to the finish together? Follow this precedent for Three winners?

*Replace three with five/ten. Five/ten winners? Unlikely, but possible.

Methinks the rules will get a tweak for 2020.

Similar but different scenario in 2016 in the similar but different freedom challenge. Of course there is no prize money or even trophy for winning the freedom challenge, all finishers get the same symbolic reward.

"After nearly two weeks of chasing each other across the country, Theo van Dyk and Bruce Hughes met at Trouthaven last night and called a truce - deciding that they would hike up Stettynskloof together on the final stage to Diemersfontein - it seemed like it would end in a draw but just before the end, Bruce pulled up and let Theo take line honours, an acknowledgement of the times when Theo had shown the way in the dark near Tinana and today up Stettynskloof - a gentlemen’s agreement between two gentlemen racers. The race has been intriguing to follow, with twists and turns in the plot, time penalties, missed gates and a smattering of bad weather to spice things up. In the end they are both very deserving recipients of their Blankets and have upheld the spirit of the event throughout the contest. They have also posted very quick finishing times: Theo at 11d8h53min and Bruce 1 minute later."

Realistically I can't see anyone behind Nina Long making the cut to tomorrow, even NL has a huge challenge on her hands with only 3 hours rest to spare