Road rage

Longtravel

a *** cyclist has never endangered my life when I'm driving because I use my head and give them a wide berth, like 1.5m or more....

Giving them a wide berth doesn't change the fact that they are a *** cyclist.

It may mitigate an accident, but they still ride *** none the less.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know Robbie, I've seen these things. I've also seen the bodies on the side of the road when these things spin out of control. And I've personally defended the accused on the consequent murder charges. Some things just aren't worth it. But I guess every generation needs to find that out for themselves.

I admit I need to calm down a tad. I have a habit of storming headlong into danger to dish out some "klappe" before soon regretting my chosen line of action. I have always chosen fight over flight. It seems I may have the wrong end of the stick. I appreciate your calm demeanor and pearls of wisdom.

Always 3 sides to a story and I am not taking sides as only have 1 side here but I feel all 3 sides of this story are going to be completely different.

Screw Godwin's Law - no hub outrage thread is complete without the "3 sides to the story" hub pearl of wisdom cliche...  ^_^

Sorry Dirk, you have to read the whole thing before you jump to conclusions. I added in the red bit to represent what she said. It gives the whole thing a totally different meaning.

They were about to overtake a bunch of cyclists (safely from all that we know). One of said cyclists swerved out into the road trying to overtake the bunch (unexpectedly, perhaps without indicating). The cyclist was suddenly directly in the path of the vehicle. They were towing a heavy trailer that makes quick braking problematic. So, they had to swerve out to miss the cyclist, (perhaps even across the midline, perhaps in the face of oncoming vehicles, perhaps even endangering themselves, all so as not to go over said cyclist) They then hooted at the cyclist. (right or not, all legal, rude perhaps, but it does not damage anything)

From what I read the cyclist is alive because of their evasive action. He should rather say thank you for your quick action, not bash their car in and behave like an animal.

Edit: Yes, the bits in brackets are purely speculation 

The heck? You literally quote the part that implies blame on motorist. To copy what you said, "had to swerve to miss the rider in front of us who overtook the other riders and came in front of us".

1. The riders were in front of the motorist

2. The motorist didn't leave a safe passing distance because "they had to swerve"

3. The motorist was driving recklessly due to the implied passing distance in question.

Do you also blame victims for getting raped? Children being beaten to death because the parents have anger issues? You also blame the cyclists for being in the road when a car plows into a 1 or even a group of 10 of them right, like how dare they legally use the roads?? You totally seem to defend that stereotype. "I'm sorry mister occifer, I killed these people because I was driving too fast with the load I'm pulling and didn't take the necessary precautions because, you know, braking with a trailer slows me down and I'd rather kill someone than slow down"

There's obviously missing facts here, but you need to wake up if you think driving a car in a way that requires sudden swerving when next to unpredictable obstacles is safe practice. I honestly hope you don't have a motorvehicle license because you sound like a danger on the roads and your perception on safe driving is going to be the direct cause of innocent people getting killed. 

The only assault in this scenario is the macing.

Punching a car is not assault, unless it was a Transformer then maybe you could make a case if the judge was Michael Bay.

I agree though, you should not be punching or kicking cars. We must also not endanger cyclists lives by driving dangerously.

A transformer... coffee on the table...

6 Pages of theories, rants, chest beating and legal opinion, and yet no one actually seems to know what happened? This should be called the MONDAY Thread!!!

Have any of you ever towed a heavy trailer?

It sounds to me from the screen shot that the driver has to swerve suddenly for a rider pulling out, if that was the case then it’s not impossible that the trailer “wagged” the rig making it look to the riders that the driver was swerving towards them.

We tow 1.5 ton ski boats, they are properly braked and the fortuner takes no longer to stop with or without trailer.

What does take longer is accelerating, therefore we hardly ever overtake anything and if we do its normally that dual lane vibe. I also know that the boat sticks out an extra 5cm either side of the car. 

There is no excuse for poor road positioning with a trailer. If a cyclist randomly pulls out as you are overtaking, it should not be an issue as you are 1.5m away from the cyclist in the first place. 

Sometimes as the cyclist you have to position yourself in the road so that the dumb motorist does not have a choice but to apply their mind when approaching a blind rise/corner. Most drivers think there is no problem overtaking a line of single file cyclists with a blind rise through places like Kalk Bay or Camps Bay. 

If the cyclist felt you swerved at them, you probably did, so if I was the  cyclists I would lay a charge of attempted murder with a motor vehicle.

William Nicol has more than one lane in the same direction.

If the cyclists were bunch riding, in their own lane with follow-vehicle and the cyclists overtook the bunch into the lane that the vehicle was using, the cyclists was wrong. (inconsiderate driving, obstructing the normal flow of traffic)

Incidentally, the cyclists bunch riding (speculative) is against the law. So two wrongs on the part of the cyclists does not make a right.

One would have thought by now one of the cyclists that were in the group or knows someone who was in the group should have stepped up to give their version. 

One would have thought by now one of the cyclists that were in the group or knows someone who was in the group should have stepped up to give their version. 

Almost like the effect Nigela has on scotty. :P

I'll throw a random thought out there:

What are the chances that this is part of a fraudulent insurance claim? The car got damaged in some other manner and the claimant subsequently conjured up this story for their insurance and needed to show that they tried their best to get proof of the incident from the community, but they knew full well that no evidence will come to light as the incident never happened.

#FlamesuitON

(I'm still trying to be impartial on this, and will gladly flame the guilty partie/s. So sitting back and waiting for some evidence to come forward)

6 Pages of theories, rants, chest beating and legal opinion, and yet no one actually seems to know what happened? This should be called the MONDAY Thread!!!

And don’t forget that the sanctimonious seem to have arrived now too.

I know not everyone frequents BikeHub every 15mins to check for updates, but where has LongTravel been since Saturday 13:32... he seemed very keen at the time?

Giving them a wide berth doesn't change the fact that they are a *** cyclist.

It may mitigate an accident, but they still ride *** none the less.

Completely irrelevant. The cyclist will not kill the motorist by being a *** cyclist.

Archived