[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay

FNB Wines2Whales MTB

Also waiting to hear, flip think it was VERY tough out there and what is the cut off time (if they don't shorten it further)

Any feedback from riders who rode today?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather is the weather. Just another challenge. Don't be pansies.... Just go ride

Looking at some real-time weather stations, Lourensford has had about 75mm in half a day so far. 

When the Lourensford river flooded in 15 Nov 2013, they recorded 90mm at Strand in 24 hours. Admittedly there was even more rainfall further up the catchment, but we are starting to move toward that order of magnitude. It really just depends on whether it carries on raining at a similar intensity.  

So you say it's just another challenge, but they are getting some serious rain now. I suspect there will be some huge logistical issues. If it were me, I dunno, maybe the carnage would be fun, but I suspect I'd pick the couch.  

I passed through there just now, it's pouring. Kleinmond, a stone throw away, stands at 70mm and still raining.

Buddy of mine who finished quite well...

• Rained from start to finish
  • Brakes gone in first 20km
  • Struggled with the wind

does he ride a yellow taxi with a green fork?

A beautiful Pyga which probably isn't that beautiful anymore after today  :blink: 

Side note: can't imagine riding 30-40 km with questionable brakes in those conditions.

A beautiful Pyga which probably isn't that beautiful anymore after today  :blink: 

Side note: can't imagine riding 30-40 km with questionable brakes in those conditions.

so we know the same guy ..... and his riding buddy is on a spaz stumpy?

so we know the same guy ..... and his riding buddy is on a spaz stumpy?

Might be, honestly don't know haha. They finished 2nd today apparently.

Might be, honestly don't know haha. They finished 2nd today apparently.

might be 2nd in their group if we are talking RE the same riders .. I see they finished 35th in their CAT and 123rd overall ... so not a bad showing at all 

Must be different people then. Checked on the website 2nd men's team, 5th overall.

might be 2nd in their group if we are talking RE the same riders .. I see they finished 35th in their CAT and 123rd overall ... so not a bad showing at all 

I'm sitting in a tent now after riding today. It was very wet and fairly windy. A lot of the "trails" were rivers... but it was fun.

My team mate's bike has no brakes left haha. Finding brake pads has been a problem, luckily I had two spare with me, but I don't know how long my bike's brakes will last now.

The main facilities area is pretty marshy, flooded in lots of places. It's very wet. The finish line was a ghost town, just a disembodied voice welcoming us.

Fun ride but facilies haven't been good.

I'm sitting in a tent now after riding today. It was very wet and fairly windy. A lot of the "trails" were rivers... but it was fun.

My team mate's bike has no brakes left haha. Finding brake pads has been a problem, luckily I had two spare with me, but I don't know how long my bike's brakes will last now.

The main facilities area is pretty marshy, flooded in lots of places. It's very wet. The finish line was a ghost town, just a disembodied voice welcoming us.

Strongs, man

The weather gods are angry

Will they actually ride tomorrow? Won't that destroy the trails?

Last year, day 2 of the midweek race was a total disaster after the rain (and fire)...basically, no traction and almost unrideable. 

Needed to replace my entire drivetrain afterwards.   

If the mud cakes up on the calipers it will be a grinding paste between the pad and rotor. If you don't use the brakes then no problem, rock on.

the rain on day1 won't really be the problem. It's the mud on day 2 that will be a challenge. Last year I wore out a chain in 40km....

New pair of pads (metal) before the start of the race and you should be fine... considering you dont ride on the breaks and actually pedal the bike.

I'd definitely be more worried about stuffing up a drive-train in the heavy rain. Maybe keep your second bottle for water to clean over your drive train and some lube every so often.It will help.

#SeMaNet

in an earlier post I mentioned taking spare pads along.....

Kudos and a good nights sleep if that advice was heeded. If not , there's always your shoe

Safe ride tomorrow folks. If you thought you had mud today......  :whistling: