[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay

FNB Wines2Whales MTB

are you saying we should pack our own food and skip the WP?

I would... you would get better nutrition and also efficiency. The WP are great for wash&lube.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day one was undoubtably my worst day of ridding ever, having said that - crossing that finish line was sensational. Bike took a proper hammering...

Any one else disappointed with this years Woolies Water Stations?

Personally, I prefer the local communities/schools hosting the stations like they do at Berg and Bush. Adds a lot more GEES.

For me the water stations had more than enough. The people was friendly and the variety was sufficient. I cant imagine what else is needed

Totally agree.. day 1 was my first day of proper stage racing ever and it was difficult, cold and wet, but I loved it as well. My bike: not so much. Like everyone else, brakes were trashed, need new chain, lots of strange new noises.. 

The water points were ok, in my view, I did love the wash and lube service, but I did want more protein type foods like droewors, and maybe those cocao-balls they had at the Houwhoek race.

Day one was undoubtably my worst day of ridding ever, having said that - crossing that finish line was sensational. Bike took a proper hammering... 

Any one else disappointed with this years Woolies Water Stations? 

Personally, I prefer the local communities/schools hosting the stations like they do at Berg and Bush. Adds a lot more GEES. 

How did you break 8 spokes??

DieselInDust, I should have listened to you...hindsight ne

Totally destroyed both sets of brakes just after portage, had too walk the big downs with sharp turns at the end, last big downhill I got off the bike to run down and noticed I had 8 broken spokes!! Wheel trashed so ran the last 2kms. Still managed a 4:30 so I was happy. Was actually fun riding in that weather but the bikes took a massive beating.

Today was good with lots of guys flying past with fresh legs as they didn't ride yesterday. A little broken, but last stretch tomorrow.

First W2W, will be one for the books!

How did you break 8 spokes??

Just chatted to another rider and he says he had 4 x broken spokes on his rear wheel from day 1.

Day 1 was an absolute mission but even though it was hard it was fun, my mud skills are now well refined. My shimano sintered metal brakes did well in these conditions and are almost as good as before the race but my partners brand new rear pads (not sure about the brand) went from 100% to 0 in one ride. Most of the mechanics at that point had run out of pads so if you have a spare set take them.

Forecast looks like some rain again for both of the next two events, try take some bin bags and gum boots if you have them. Thank goodness our tents didn't leak.

As for the food, and I told the organisers this, the WP were frankly pathetic. I try not each carbs and the only things there were a table of sweets, some big bowls of chips, lots of different breads / cakes, some cut up fruit and some potatoes and salt. I tried some of it out of desperation but in the end resorted to my own food.

So apart from the food the event was amazing and very well organised. This was my first stage race and I really enjoyed it.

for all those doing it enjoy!

Edited by Marcv

Day 1 was an absolute mission but even though it was hard it was fun, my mud skills are now well refined. My shimano sintered metal brakes did well in these conditions and are almost as good as before the race but my partners brand new rear pads (not sure about the brand) went from 100% to 0 in one ride. Most of the mechanics at that point had run out of pads so if you have a spare set take them.

Forecast looks like some rain again for both of the next two events, try take some bin bags and gum boots if you have them. Thank goodness our tents didn't leak.

As for the food, and I told the organisers this, the WP were frankly pathetic. I try not each carbs and the only things there were a table of sweets, some big bowls of chips, lots of different breads / cakes, some cut up fruit and some potatoes and salt. I tried some of it out of desperation but in the end resorted to my own food.

So apart from the food the event was amazing and very well organised. This was my first stage race and I really enjoyed it.

for all those doing it enjoy!

THANKS!

Based on yours and AntonG feedback I will pack my energy requirements myself and just use the WP for fresh water into my bottles.........or maybe its backpack time again

As for the food, and I told the organisers this, the WP were frankly pathetic. I try not each carbs and the only things there were a table of sweets, some big bowls of chips, lots of different breads / cakes, some cut up fruit and some potatoes and salt. I tried some of it out of desperation but in the end resorted to my own food.

I always carry my own neutrition, to save time and you never know what you get at a WP.

If you have special dietry requirements, like no carbs/gluten or halaal etc, you cant expect events to cater for that.

(The spread above sounds above average, imo)

coulda fooled me with that price tag  :ph34r: 

I know the pricing is a bit Epic ... but dried sausage requests and little cocoa balls ..... 

I know the pricing is a bit Epic ... but dried sausage requests and little cocoa balls ..... 

A bit of a monster event organisers created for themselves (and everybody else) Initially everybody was pleasantly surprised to see something else other than Coke & bananas at water tables. Now a luxurious spread is demanded for every single water table at every single event.

guys ..... seriously ... it is a water point, not a Michelin star catering zone!

Did you ride it?

The quality of this race has been steadily declining since 2015

2013 = fantastic, the cared for the amateur doing the 1st and 2nd race....2015 it became more about CEO's standing on the podium and waffle on for 30mins each.....Like I care jack about financial decision or my net worth while I am at a bike race. 

Then last year = "We are looking after the PRO's especially women in the 1st one" 

Midweek, = thanks for your money, now we pay nice prize money for the next week

3rd race = Pro's