[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay

FNB Wines2Whales MTB

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the Theewaters Kloof forecast it appears no one is going to be let off this year.

Rain forecast for Friday , Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday Saturday....

The Shiraz does appear to have a light drizzle forecast and mostly early morning and then afternoon so wet trails.

remember the spare brake pads folks,......spare brake pads

Edited by DieselnDust

100% rain forecast haha

Can anyone suggest the best clothing (anecdotal) for an event like this? Any tips and tricks, especially for the weather? I'm a n00b.

I'll pack extra brake pads :P

A waterproof windbreaker looks like a good idea?

Neoprene shoe covers probably?

Light?

100% rain forecast haha

Can anyone suggest the best clothing (anecdotal) for an event like this? Any tips and tricks, especially for the weather? I'm a n00b.

I'll pack extra brake pads :P

A waterproof windbreaker looks like a good idea?

Neoprene shoe covers probably?

Light?

the temperature forecast isn't too severe. I'd say don't wear too much that will soak up water. It'll just make you heavier and colder. Thin shell water resistant jacket would be all that's necessary. Some OB's in a hip flask.

Spare chain and brake pads. 

But have warm clothes 

the fight for puffs'is gong to be real in the rider zone as its the only place that will be warm!!

Anybody looking to sell their ticket at say, I dunno,  half the original price because of the weather..I'd happily take it off your hands

Pm me. I know of such a man

I've done W2W 5 times and although the nice days are awesome when you ride them, the days you remember are the ones that test your endurance. Very wet ride in 2013, Way over 40 degree on day 1 in 2014 (Race), Severe cold snap, rain and wind on day 3 2015 (Adventure) and severe storm winds on day 1 in 2017 (Adventure). Those are the days I remember. The beautiful days in between all seem to just mesh into one.

Have fun guys!

Edit: I learned about chain-suck on a mud ride on W2W. It’s a terrible thing. I think 1x drive trains might be immune, but its worthwhile to check the condition of your front chainrings if you are not on 1x.

Edited by Delarey

Can anyone do a bag drop on race morning? We are not sleeping in the tents, live close enough, so driving through each day. I was wondering if we can pack a bag with warm clothes for afterwards on day 1? 

Can anyone do a bag drop on race morning? We are not sleeping in the tents, live close enough, so driving through each day. I was wondering if we can pack a bag with warm clothes for afterwards on day 1? 

Come stay in tents like the rest of us  :ph34r: