[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay

FNB Wines2Whales MTB

Last year, day 2 of the midweek race was a total disaster after the rain (and fire)...basically, no traction and almost unrideable. 

Needed to replace my entire drivetrain afterwards.   

and they shortened it to 40km nut nearly half the field bailed on the start line and about 100 within the first 10km  :cursing:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and they shortened it to 40km nut nearly half the field bailed on the start line and about 100 within the first 10km  :cursing:

I would also have bailed at the first water point after the climb to the saddle and the descent back to the Lourensford ST. It was bucketing down in the early afternoon. The Lourens River here in Strand was running almost to overflow. Half my garage is a swimming pool.

Seems the weather is looking a bit better today, with most of the next rain only being predicted for later tomorrow afternoon (extra motivation to finish earlier).  Wonder how much mud will still be around the course today

Seems the weather is looking a bit better today, with most of the next rain only being predicted for later tomorrow afternoon (extra motivation to finish earlier).  Wonder how much mud will still be around the course today

A lot!

last year it rained overnight during the Pinotage. Not nearly as much as it rained yesterday. Stage 2 turned into a proper mud bath. The slip sliding starts 50m after the start-line and then there's a long uphill drag for 2km. The drainage is better once you're out of the oak valley farm and into the Paul Cluver trails but the first 20km today is going to be wetter than WET  WET WET. Fortunately no Coldplay. forecast says high of 20degrees. Sounds of Silence is going to be tricky today. Lots of clay on that section of trail. My tyre choice for today would be a 1.95 with widely spaced knobs. Big volume will be like steering a power boat with a broken steering

Edited by DieselnDust

DieselInDust, I should have listened to you...hindsight ne

Totally destroyed both sets of brakes just after portage, had too walk the big downs with sharp turns at the end, last big downhill I got off the bike to run down and noticed I had 8 broken spokes!! Wheel trashed so ran the last 2kms. Still managed a 4:30 so I was happy. Was actually fun riding in that weather but the bikes took a massive beating.

Today was good with lots of guys flying past with fresh legs as they didn't ride yesterday. A little broken, but last stretch tomorrow.

First W2W, will be one for the books!

Totally destroyed both sets of brakes just after portage, had too walk the big downs with sharp turns at the end, last big downhill I got off the bike to run down and noticed I had 8 broken spokes!! Wheel trashed so ran the last 2kms. Still managed a 4:30 so I was happy. Was actually fun riding in that weather but the bikes took a massive beating.

Today was good with lots of guys flying past with fresh legs as they didn't ride yesterday. A little broken, but last stretch tomorrow.

Will need to come back next year for the route switch ;)   

Edited by LeoKnight

As long as you're having a great time. W2W is just about the experience, enjoy stage 3 tomorrow. I see there's an early start to attempt to miss the rain coming in

Day 1, torrential rain

Day 2, sunny and calm

Day 3, swirling gusts

Welcome to the Western Cape

repeat Pinotage Monday Tuesday Wednesday

Only if it's a rigid

With back pedal braking, no worries about brake pads [emoji1787]

It was awesome! Will definitely be doing this again. Great experience with amazing trails. Luckily us WCapers can ride most of these gems any day. Super well organized and seeding works really well so you never get stuck on single track etc. Maar nou gaan ons eers braai.

Day one was undoubtably my worst day of ridding ever, having said that - crossing that finish line was sensational. Bike took a proper hammering... 

Any one else disappointed with this years Woolies Water Stations? 

Personally, I prefer the local communities/schools hosting the stations like they do at Berg and Bush. Adds a lot more GEES. 

Day one was undoubtably my worst day of ridding ever, having said that - crossing that finish line was sensational. Bike took a proper hammering... 

Any one else disappointed with this years Woolies Water Stations? 

Personally, I prefer the local communities/schools hosting the stations like they do at Berg and Bush. Adds a lot more GEES. 

are you saying we should pack our own food and skip the WP?