[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay

FNB Wines2Whales MTB

Rookie question. Do we drop bags at registration or Friday before ride. What’s a good time to be there Friday ?

yes drop before the start, depending on your start batch 6:00 is a good time. First group starts at 7. Always factor in traffic into Lourensford sometimes it can be a mess getting in to the venue. Aiming to Get there at 6 will take care of traffic, Give you enough time to get fully dressed & bike sorted, have breakfast and go to the toilet if need be but who doesn’t need a toilet before a race ???? ...oh and drop car keys off if you are using a vehicle transfer.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rookie question. Do we drop bags at registration or Friday before ride. What’s a good time to be there Friday ?

Bag drop is Friday before start.

arrive about an hour before your start time.

Hi guys. Any weather predictions from the locals? Looks like some rain.

heavy rain forecast for Friday and Saturday

Prepare for rain Fri, Sat, Sun.

It looks like heavy rain on Fr, lighter on Sat, clearing up on Sun. I recommend a proper rain jacket, and consider fitting a mudguard. Pack a base layer in the Camelbak - temperatures look ok, but it can be cold if the clouds are low.Tyre choise: not hardpack - ones that can clear mud with larger knoblies, further appart.

post-154-0-12378600-1571561904_thumb.jpg

Is that kind of rain even rideable? The weather system is still developing so it may still change, but that's the sort of torrent that gets organisers twitchy.

The trails are very rideable in that sort of weather. The portage section is going to be tricky as the rock will be very slippery. May have to consider routing the race over Sir Lowry's Pass....

Forecast may get better during the week - keep an eye out. But best be prepared for some rain. A North-Westerly wind almost always brings rain, the exact time and intensity may differ.

I rode Paul Cluver yesterday and there is alot of freshly graded sections that is loose and sandy ( puffy and dry sand) which is going to make things interesting with that amount of rain.

windguru is showing the front to have slowed down with it pnly arriving on Sunday. There is still rain predicted for Friday but it looks like the bulk of it will fall Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday

accuweather showing the same forecast for rain Thursday through Saturday, dry Pinotage mid week and a drizzly Shiraz

Whatever happens I'll be prepared. That's about the best anyone can do. The Weather is the weather

Edited by DieselnDust

First time riding the race.

Is there a service that will be able to lift us from the end of the race back to the start to collect our car?