• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Dowsett
@alexdowsett
·
8h
"Seems Jumbo Visma could have the same issue Ineos had last year in the TDF...

What to do about Alaphilippe and his Alaphilippe-ness"

I'd say it's an issue for Ineos as well as Jumbo unless they have given up on GC! 

I'd say it's an issue for Ineos as well as Jumbo unless they have given up on GC!

Stage 3 starts today the time gap is 17sec to the serious GC contenders..shees okes.. it's a long way to go with many high mountains waiting. Edited by Gen

Stage 3 starts today the time gap is 17sec to the serious GC contenders..shees okes.. it's a long way to go with many high mountains waiting.

Unless Alaphillippe hangs on to yellow for a week, the tour is called off due to corona, and he wins...

Unless Alaphillippe hangs on to yellow for a week, the tour is called off due to corona, and he wins...

There is always that possibility.

Stage 4 will be a nice tester to see whether JA can hang with the climbers. The CAT 1 uphill finish will surely have someone try their luck to get into yellow for a few days. 17s pass quickly when they finish uphill.

Stage 3 starts today the time gap is 17sec to the serious GC contenders..shees okes.. it's a long way to go with many high mountains waiting.

ALthough I tend to agree, the mountains they traverse over the next week and a bit aren't that high or that steep so its definitely Alaterritory. Only Stage 17 and 20 have the real mountains where he will need to defend outside his element.This tour is very much wide open

Stage 4 will be a nice tester to see whether JA can hang with the climbers. The CAT 1 uphill finish will surely have someone try their luck to get into yellow for a few days. 17s pass quickly when they finish uphill.

its not that long so I think he'll hang tough

ALthough I tend to agree, the mountains they traverse over the next week and a bit aren't that high or that steep so its definitely Alaterritory. Only Stage 17 and 20 have the real mountains where he will need to defend outside his element.This tour is very much wide open

Looking at the corona increase in France, I am starting to have real doubts this tour will get to stage 17 and 20...

This was my thinking too...

There are only really 2 stages that the 'pure climbers' have to get away and stay away from the punchy guys.

Whether they can get away and gain/defend enough time for the ITT is also a big question.

But 3 weeks is a long time. Legs blow, minds crack and we have seen that crashes are happening willy nilly, so I would guess some contenders are going to retire injured.

Wide Wide open if 'Rona doesn't kill it

Every day that they have to control the race takes effort every attack that the team or he has to close down takes effort.. not like there won't be racing until the third week ..esp with the threat of Covid it all adds up ..I have no doubt he wil be in yellow for some time... but we saw at the Dauphine when the racing got really tough he couldn't stay with them.. yes the TDF is very open just about every GC contender has some or other injury..either from stage one or carried over from the Dauphine...we shall see how it unfolds.. but far too early to tell IMO. Edited by Gen

Every day that they have to control the race takes effort every attack that the team or he has to close down takes effort.. not like there won't be racing until the third week ..esp with the threat of Covid it all adds up ..I have no doubt he wil be in yellow for some time... but we saw at the Dauphine when the racing got really tough he couldn't stay with them.. yes the TDF is very open just about every GC contender has some or other injury..either from stage one or carried over from the Dauphine...we shall see how it unfolds.. bit far too early to tell IMO.

True, just remember he doesn't have to keep yellow so the incentive to defend may not be as high as perceived. It all depends on whether he really is there for the stage wins (in which case he will defend and attack whenever it suits him) or for the GC in which case he may let it go and take it back when the situation is more ideal. Tomorrow and Thursday's stage will give us more insight. Today could also be good for him but I see Sagan going in a break since he can probably outclimb Christoff to get the hotspot at Dignes-les-bains (160.5km in)