2020 Tour de France

pista

Aru (UAE) and Martinez (EF) lost quite a bit of time yesterday, I hear.

That'll dent their team's chances in the GC stakes.

Anyone else noteworthy slid down the GC snakes and ladder board after the first 2 days?

Meanwhile, the new World Champs venue to be announced on Wednesday.

And, interestingly, Hirschi who burst onto the WorldTour scene yesterday is managed by Spartacus. He is the first to win the European and Worlds u23 race in the same year (2019).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the magic question for today, as even yesterday, trying to account for a 2 hour "time zone" problem on DSTV Now site, I still missed the start.

what time does it start on SS, assume like other days it will be on Channel 212 ?

G

True, just remember he doesn't have to keep yellow so the incentive to defend may not be as high as perceived. It all depends on whether he really is there for the stage wins (in which case he will defend and attack whenever it suits him) or for the GC in which case he may let it go and take it back when the situation is more ideal. Tomorrow and Thursday's stage will give us more insight. Today could also be good for him but I see Sagan going in a break since he can probably outclimb Christoff to get the hotspot at Dignes-les-bains (160.5km in)

Stage is suited towards the sprinters today. .the bumps are not too serious today (couple 3s and a 4?)....the intermediate sprint is also closer to the finish so unless other green jersey contenders (read Trentin) hop into the break I don't think we will see Sagan up the road. .. I don't think the break will get much time today.. Edited by Gen

Aru (UAE) and Martinez (EF) lost quite a bit of time yesterday, I hear.

That'll dent their team's chances in the GC stakes.

Anyone else noteworthy slid down the GC snakes and ladder board after the first 2 days?

Meanwhile, the new World Champs venue to be announced on Wednesday.

And, interestingly, Hirschi who burst onto the WorldTour scene yesterday is managed by Spartacus. He is the first to win the European and Worlds u23 race in the same year (2019).

Tadej Pogacar is still in there, sitting quietly. Aru's implosion just makes it easier to focus on Pogacar now. The young man needs to be watched. Stille water dieper grond...

So the magic question for today, as even yesterday, trying to account for a 2 hour "time zone" problem on DSTV Now site, I still missed the start.

what time does it start on SS, assume like other days it will be on Channel 212 ?

G

SS8 12:00

Stage is suited towards the sprinters today..the bumps are not too serious today....the intermediate sprint is also closer to the finish so unless other green jersey contenders (read Trentin) hop into the break I don't think we will won't see Sagan up the road. .. I don't think the break will get much time today..

Inclined to agree. The sprinters don't have many outright sprint stages, so the sprint teams will be very keen to see today be a bunch sprint. Any breakaway will be on an extremely tight leash. I reckon we won't see a gap of more then 90 seconds to two minutes at most. The break will probably get reeled in with 20 to go.

With my luck though this prediction probably won't come to pass!!!

Edited by Mntboy

I see today being won by WvA or 365.... 

I would really like that.

Or another Alexander Kristoff victory

PS. Does it show that both of these are in my fantasy team...?

Surely Aru wasn't the UAE's GC guy anyway? He's there to help Pogacar, isn't he?

Also, I think Higuita > Martinez anyway.

It is always good to have back-up options on GC as a lot can happen on the road over 3 weeks.

Teams have less options in depth as well with only 8 riders in the team.

It is always good to have back-up options on GC as a lot can happen on the road over 3 weeks.

Teams have less options in depth as well with only 8 riders in the team.

With the Form(olo) that Formolo is in, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes on that number 2 workload.

But ja, I guess taking Kristoff AND having GC hopes is always a gamble with 8 team members.

With the Form(olo) that Formolo is in, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes on that number 2 workload.

But ja, I guess taking Kristoff AND having GC hopes is always a gamble with 8 team members.

Good job Lotto aren't in the GC battle, now they're down to 6 riders.

Edited by lechatnoir

G

SS208 and SS212

Finally COVID forced me to work from home where I can have a large screen running the Tour all day and no boss to object.

But will it be the usual 6 hours clubrun plus a dash up the last climb?.

Initial signs are not good. Again the wait for the final climb yesterday. Again Alaphilippe ( Go Wolfpack!) the only bike racer worthy of the name. He single handedly carried the 2019 tour. Probably will do so again

But there were a lot of sore bodies out there after the stage 1 crashes. A bit too early to pass judgement.......

And I can always enjoy Ineos struggle.....

Edited by Irishj9

Finally COVID forced to work from home where I can have a large screen running the Tour all day and no boss to object. 

But will it be the usual 6 hours clubrun plus a dash up the last climb?. 

Initial signs are not good. Again the wait for the final climb yesterday. Again Alaphilippe ( Go Wolfpack!) the only bike racer worthy of the name. He single handedly carried the 2019 tour. Probably will do so again

But there were a lot of sore bodies out there after the stage crashes. A bit too early to pass judgement.......

And I can always enjoy Ineos struggle.....

It is an interesting question.

What is worth more to sponsors of a team like DQS?

-17 days in Yellow by a Frenchman, along with a couple of stage wins

-Putting a rider in the Top 10 in GC, never holding yellow, never winning a stage (Think Maincheese)

-Never making a real noise in the GC battle or stage honours and then taking yellow on the 2nd last day (Think Bernal 2019)

There might be an argument that JA gave a better return to sponsors at 2019 TDF than Bernal did for Ineos..

PS. The actual numbers here are wrong, but maybe winning the overall isn't the best return one could get out of a 3 week tour.