26" Hardtail vs 29" Dualsus for CTCT ?

wynandk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would depend on the frame? I have not tried but would a older 26" specific frame be big enough to accept 29er wheels? I tried a 650b front wheel on a 26" fork and it didn't fit. It had knobblies on and I know you mentioned tiny slicks but would it make much difference?

Not being difficult, just interested to know.

Some 26ers could fit 700x23c wheels and tyres. My CAAD4 F3000sL did

I'd go with the 29er.  Bigger wheels will roll better.

I did a roadie ride on my 29er full sus a couple of weeks ago - 100km with knobbly tyres and only a 34T up front and I still managed over 25km/h average.  

29er wheel also gives you the option to run a 700c road tyre if you really want the maximum advantage.  It looks weird, but it works.

post-50271-0-30736000-1571297157_thumb.jpg

That would depend on the frame? I have not tried but would a older 26" specific frame be big enough to accept 29er wheels? I tried a 650b front wheel on a 26" fork and it didn't fit. It had knobblies on and I know you mentioned tiny slicks but would it make much difference?

around 675 - 680mm ish seems like it should work

post-64325-0-71097500-1571297934_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-10165500-1571297941_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

How about putting the 29er wheels with tiny slicks on the 26er kind of a monster cross?

Almost the right answer.

29er wheel also gives you the option to run a 700c road tyre if you really want the maximum advantage. 

The right answer if you want maximum speed advantage.

This is the key question. 

See if your 29" wheels with any road 700c tyre will fit in the frame, it may well do. See above.

BUT:

Remember the maximum pressure on a 29" MTB rim. It may not like the 10Bar you like to run your 23c road tyres at if that is the biggest that will fit.

Edited by eddy

I did my first CTCT last year on my trail dual sus 29er (Trek Fuel EX8). I did put slicks on and put back to original 2x11 for better gearing. For this year I'm considering getting a light hardtail 29er that I might use afterwards or get a road bike (not sure about the V brakes), all of it on a budget. The main reason is that I'd like to do the MTB argus and don't feel like making to many changes to the bike too often for the various training. 

Some 26ers could fit 700x23c wheels and tyres. My CAAD4 F3000sL did

I assume you used MTB specific hubs? or is the hub width the same? I know with tandems you get 2 different width rear hubs. My cannondale is the narrow one and my burley is wider. The wider hubs do fit the cannondale but you need to stretch that frame and it really isn't ideal. The narrow hubs don't fit the burley at all, you need to squash the rear triangle and then the skewer takes a lot of outward pressure.

I assume you used MTB specific hubs? or is the hub width the same? I know with tandems you get 2 different width rear hubs. My cannondale is the narrow one and my burley is wider. The wider hubs do fit the cannondale but you need to stretch that frame and it really isn't ideal. The narrow hubs don't fit the burley at all, you need to squash the rear triangle and then the skewer takes a lot of outward pressure.

I built 700c rims onto XTR M965 disc hubs. The frame was disc specific. You need a disc brake frame and fork for this to work. V brake bosses are not positioned to accommodate 700c rims brake track

In this case, I would use the 26" bike.

I have one 29" dual susp bike I use for road and off road riding.  I have two wheel sets, one with slicks and one with nobblies.  Works for me. :thumbup:

This is what my bike did the past weekend (29" dual susp, with slicks, +- 15kg bike)

New Bitmap Image.bmp

Edited by Super Sywurm

In this case, I would use the 26" bike.

I have one 29" dual susp bike I use for road and off road riding.  I have two wheel sets, one with slicks and one with nobblies.  Works for me. :thumbup:

This is what my bike did the past weekend (29" dual susp, with slicks, +- 15kg bike)

attachicon.gifNew Bitmap Image.bmp

it was very flat though at 400m over 100km which is not the terrain of the CTCT

it was very flat though at 400m over 100km which is not the terrain of the CTCT

I am not comparing it to the CTCT.  I did the CTCT twice on 29" hardtails with nobblies.  My time was around 4h20 for both races.

My 2c:

It's unlikely that you're going to need your easiest gears for any of CTCT's climbs, but you will need top end along the M5 and on the descents. If you don't have top end you are going to lose any ground that you made on the climbs as soon as the road flattens out and you'll spin out on the descents.

Definitely get slicks, and consider a smaller range cassette, you wont need all those easy ratios. With a 26t upfront you can get away with an 11-25

The 26" will certainly be comfortable enough, certainly more comfortable than any road bike. 

Personally, I prefer the feel of the bigger wheels of my 29er full-sus compared to the 26er hardtails I have (no science involved in my opinion).

Enter the CTCT MTB Challenge, do it with the 29er..then the following weekend do the CTCT on the 26er. That way you get to enjoy both your bikes

Excellent idea! :clap:

I'd go with the 29er.  Bigger wheels will roll better.

I did a roadie ride on my 29er full sus a couple of weeks ago - 100km with knobbly tyres and only a 34T up front and I still managed over 25km/h average.  

29er wheel also gives you the option to run a 700c road tyre if you really want the maximum advantage.  It looks weird, but it works.

bigger wheels roll better??

we should probably let this lady in on that secret

Denise2.jpg