Throwback Thursday...... When We Were Young

Bonus

my first mtb race circa 1997 in Citrusdal ... it was also the first day I used clipless pedals, fitted the morning of the ride.

I SHOULD NEVER HAVE SOLD THAT GARY FISHER HOO KOO E KOO!

EDIT: Still have that vermaak shirt :) ... and it still fits, well mostly :P

I had one of those Kona's too.

Was a great bike till I broke it on a jump.

Fork was crap compared to the new stuff, but it lasted quite well

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one of those Kona's too.

Was a great bike till I broke it on a jump.

Fork was crap compared to the new stuff, but it lasted quite well

The fork still had elastomers and springs. :clap: But they did the job those days.

The fork still had elastomers and springs. :clap: But they did the job those days.

Compared to rigid forks, almost anything did the job 

I wish i had kept the photos from my first races

when I got sent my first set of photos after my first 947 back in 98 they Action Photo had a catalogue of albums and frames available. I bought an album and for a long time I bought at least one photo from every race and populated the album.

It was interesting a few years back paging though it and seeing the changes in cycle kit and small changes to the bike.

Will have to dig it out again and scan some in.

That first 947 was done in normal shorts and T shirt, I had tow clips so atleast had cycling shoes and the helmet was purely to satisfy the rules.

when I got sent my first set of photos after my first 947 back in 98 they Action Photo had a catalogue of albums and frames available. I bought an album and for a long time I bought at least one photo from every race and populated the album.

It was interesting a few years back paging though it and seeing the changes in cycle kit and small changes to the bike.

Will have to dig it out again and scan some in.

That first 947 was done in normal shorts and T shirt, I had tow clips so atleast had cycling shoes and the helmet was purely to satisfy the rules.

Also Bought the same album in 1998, Have some good Photos of the '98  race where me and my brother appear on the same photo, which is one of very few that I have of us doing a race together.

I wrote down the time for each race , but nowadays use Strava for that.

Back when i did my first Argus Cycle Tour it had a total of 3494 entrants. 

There's a good chance you did that alongside my parents... two years before I was born...  :eek:

250 km Audax 1985 - I loved that pink bike.  Bought it from Wiele Wentzel

was that not Northen's Club kit? i rode for them back 86/87 was run by Mr Parsons ( Colin Parsons Father)