The toolbox thread

100Tours

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

on a similar note.

My daughter did an electrical project for school. Basic battery with lights and switches thing.

She broke the battery holder thing, breaking the positive terminal off. I thought easy fix, some Qbond and its sorted.

For some reason Qbond would not stick it. Tried super glue and that also did not work.

Stuck my damned finger to it instantly, but the 2 pieces of plastic just refused to bond.

I did the very same thing this evening with the CA glue 😅

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ouzo said:

on a similar note.

My daughter did an electrical project for school. Basic battery with lights and switches thing.

She broke the battery holder thing, breaking the positive terminal off. I thought easy fix, some Qbond and its sorted.

For some reason Qbond would not stick it. Tried super glue and that also did not work.

Stuck my damned finger to it instantly, but the 2 pieces of plastic just refused to bond.

Embrace it, once you realise how good CA glue is for cuts, grazes, raw knuckles and fingertips you will start using it a lot on your hands...

8 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Embrace it, once you realise how good CA glue is for cuts, grazes, raw knuckles and fingertips you will start using it a lot on your hands...

yes, but its rather irritating when the objects you are wanting to bond dont bond and you land up with more glue on your fingers which then instantly bond to everything you touch.

a few weeks back I was glueing a cut on a tyre. I had not let it dry properly yet (first mistake). Partially inflated the tyre (second mistake) and then leaned in close to watch what was happening with the cut (3rd mistake). The cut slowly opened and then suddenly released a burst of air, which then proceeded to spray droplets of super glue all over my face.

Thankfully I wear spectacles and this prevented droplets of superglue from hitting my eyeballs.

15 minutes ago, ouzo said:

yes, but its rather irritating when the objects you are wanting to bond dont bond and you land up with more glue on your fingers which then instantly bond to everything you touch.

a few weeks back I was glueing a cut on a tyre. I had not let it dry properly yet (first mistake). Partially inflated the tyre (second mistake) and then leaned in close to watch what was happening with the cut (3rd mistake). The cut slowly opened and then suddenly released a burst of air, which then proceeded to spray droplets of super glue all over my face.

Thankfully I wear spectacles and this prevented droplets of superglue from hitting my eyeballs.

that is a scary one

19 hours ago, dave303e said:

Ah but be very careful to line the edges of the cut up carefully (no wrinkles) before applying the CA. Correction requires some minor surgery and conventional stitches. Don't ask me how I know.

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Ah but be very careful to line the edges of the cut up carefully (no wrinkles) before applying the CA. Correction requires some minor surgery and conventional stitches. Don't ask me how I know.

How do you know? 

12 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

How do you know? 

Ok, my son (I would never be so silly) cut his hand quite badly just hours before we were to go on a trip so we decided to use CA. Unfortunately the skin wasn't absolutely flat and the edges of the cut lined up so it started healing with a ridge; quite uncomfortable. To the amused GP who trimmed off the glue and used normal stiches.

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Ok, my son (I would never be so silly) cut his hand quite badly just hours before we were to go on a trip so we decided to use CA. Unfortunately the skin wasn't absolutely flat and the edges of the cut lined up so it started healing with a ridge; quite uncomfortable. To the amused GP who trimmed off the glue and used normal stiches.

sounds like fun and games. Thanks for the tip, I must be doing it right as I have done one of my eyebrows with CA glue and it is 100%. But nowadays it is usually just used on hands.

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

sounds like fun and games. Thanks for the tip, I must be doing it right as I have done one of my eyebrows with CA glue and it is 100%. But nowadays it is usually just used on hands.

nowadays it is usually on my hands..... sounds like you need preventative measures, perhaps gloves?

On 8/25/2022 at 8:55 AM, dave303e said:

They say when all you have is a hammer- everything starts looking like a nail...

When you have a chainsaw - everything looks like it needs to be trimmed/dropped

Can’t help being reminded of being woken from my nap by the sound of my then-7-year-old son running past me on the suspended wooden floor on a Saturday afternoon.  I was renovating the home.  “Josh!  Where’re you running with that hammer?”  “Don’t worry dad, I’m going to fix the TV.” 🤣

Edited by justinafrika

On 10/1/2022 at 2:52 PM, justinafrika said:

Can’t help being reminded of being woken from my nap by the sound of my then-7-year-old son running past me on the suspended wooden floor on a Saturday afternoon.  I was renovating the home.  “Josh!  Where’re you running with that hammer?”  “Don’t worry dad, I’m going to fix the TV.” 🤣

Sounds like your Josh and my Josh belongs to the same whatsapp group. Etter. 

On 9/30/2022 at 12:17 PM, Wayne pudding Mol said:

nowadays it is usually on my hands..... sounds like you need preventative measures, perhaps gloves?

There are a lot of circumstances when one should not be wearing gloves. Any rotating machinery for example where a glove can get caught and pull you in. Worth having a read up on when and when not to wear safety gloves. 

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

There are a lot of circumstances when one should not be wearing gloves. Any rotating machinery for example where a glove can get caught and pull you in. Worth having a read up on when and when not to wear safety gloves. 

like putting in decking screws in my case and having my gloves pulled off - I am well pretty well aware of when one shouldn't wear safety gloves and they can actually be dangerous, much like long beards. My comment was tongue in cheek

6 hours ago, dave303e said:

I never witnessed horror but saw some very close calls with Lathe's and loose clothing 

very weird feeling...