The toolbox thread

100Tours

3 minutes ago, Rouxkeloos said:

If you do the design I'll be happy to mill it for you. The remuneration can work like this: As long as I have a beer in my hand while the machine is running I'm happy.

Deal 🍻

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Rouxkeloos said:

OK, so I should be working, but let me share my toolbox build. This is a work in progress and the idea is to have a tool tote that can be moved around easily: I like working on bikes outside under a tree. The design inspiration is from Adam Savage's "first order retrievability" tool cart. Everything should be accessible without having to move something out of the way. I should also be able to grab stuff with one hand and tools should need no further assembly or removal before use (like a hanger alignment tool's bottom cross-bar or L-keys that comes with a plastic holder). I also work on kids bikes and our Bromptons, so I need some more tools than the average modern bike.

I started by desiding what collection of tools I would like in the toolbox and then played around with some placement ideas. I designed everything in CAD software:

1320852959_Screenshot2022-03-24at09_15_56.png.881bd09e1b4d92651254f3e12afd2406.png

I am currently prototyping. Below is the CNC router cutting:

IMG_0335.jpeg.8d4cf388d41e94bec852761b94b13bd5.jpeg

Next I fit the tools and get a "feel" for the spacing and then I make some changes.

IMG_0339.jpeg.fd79e378a6cba270f603e77a5f9cf18e.jpeg

I will do some more work over the weekend. Initially i had the idea to use some nice hardwood for the final design but I'm actually happy with the (local) pine I've used for the prototype. I think the use of an affordable wood will make it easy to adapt it in future. The constant creep of bicycle standards will necessitate  future tool changes.

I'm having a lot of fun in the process!

if you are having fun now, imagine how much fun you'll have making me one for cash money!

9 hours ago, Rouxkeloos said:

OK, so I should be working, but let me share my toolbox build. This is a work in progress and the idea is to have a tool tote that can be moved around easily: I like working on bikes outside under a tree. The design inspiration is from Adam Savage's "first order retrievability" tool cart. Everything should be accessible without having to move something out of the way. I should also be able to grab stuff with one hand and tools should need no further assembly or removal before use (like a hanger alignment tool's bottom cross-bar or L-keys that comes with a plastic holder). I also work on kids bikes and our Bromptons, so I need some more tools than the average modern bike.

I started by desiding what collection of tools I would like in the toolbox and then played around with some placement ideas. I designed everything in CAD software:

1320852959_Screenshot2022-03-24at09_15_56.png.881bd09e1b4d92651254f3e12afd2406.png

Next I fit the tools and get a "feel" for the spacing and then I make some changes.

I will do some more work over the weekend. Initially i had the idea to use some nice hardwood for the final design but I'm actually happy with the (local) pine I've used for the prototype. I think the use of an affordable wood will make it easy to adapt it in future. The constant creep of bicycle standards will necessitate  future tool changes.

That could certainly also run through a 3D printer and come out awesome!

I have a friend with a printer who would certainly give that a spin!

11 hours ago, Rouxkeloos said:

Great work!

Coincidentally I started designing somethig similar last night. My plan is to have an insert for a Festool/Tanos Systainer (the Sys3 337 size).

There are OEM and aftermarket options available that look something like this

Festool SYS-HWZ Systainer Case and Removable Wooden Organiser | Tool Boxes

Festool SYS-HWZ T-LOC Systainer Tool Chests Tool Organisers  umoonproductions.com

Festool Systainer T-LOC SYS-HWZ Boîte à outils intelligente [Outils non  inclus] : Amazon.fr: Bricolage

However everyone's tool setup is different so I thought about making one specifically for my gear. Additionally I thought about making it modular with the top and middle plates removable and replaceable with another set of plates offering an alternate setup.

As I will likely make it by hand, I'm starting off with simple paper templates (drawn in AutoCAD off measurements from the Systainer itself). Once dialled in I'll make a set of templates out of 6mm MDF and the tool caddy itself out of ply (12mm for bottom plate and centre column, and 7mm or 9mm for the rest).

It'll be a lengthy process though... Damn I wish I had a CNC router! haha

But yeah! Keen to see the finished outcome of your project! Be sure to keep us updated!

3 minutes ago, patches said:

However everyone's tool setup is different so I thought about making one specifically for my gear. Additionally I thought about making it modular with the top and middle plates removable and replaceable with another set of plates offering an alternate setup.

As I will likely make it by hand, I'm starting off with simple paper templates (drawn in AutoCAD off measurements from the Systainer itself). Once dialled in I'll make a set of templates out of 6mm MDF and the tool caddy itself out of ply (12mm for bottom plate and centre column, and 7mm or 9mm for the rest).

It'll be a lengthy process though... Damn I wish I had a CNC router! haha

I think it is a nice idea to have it in a box and to have the replaceable plates. You are making me doubt my own design! I would gladly cut it for you if you d the CAD work, but I see you are in NZ. If you come this way (Stellenbosch) let me know. Otherwise enquire at your closest university—makerspaces are popping up everywhere and it might be worth your while to join for a while to get access to some machines.

18 minutes ago, Rouxkeloos said:

I think it is a nice idea to have it in a box and to have the replaceable plates. You are making me doubt my own design! I would gladly cut it for you if you d the CAD work, but I see you are in NZ. If you come this way (Stellenbosch) let me know. Otherwise enquire at your closest university—makerspaces are popping up everywhere and it might be worth your while to join for a while to get access to some machines.

Yeah, sadly Stellies is a little far, but I appreciate the offer.

If my handmade prototype works, I may remodel/convert the AutoCAD into Inventor or Fusion360, although currently there is no variation in of cutting depth, so even 2D will be fine for my local CNC shop (who charge the equivalent of  about R1300/hr for programming and R1500 for machining time). It quickly adds up, so good idea keeping an eye out for Maker-spaces or approach the universities. (I'm on the BIM New Zealand council and we have loads of engineering students attend our events, so I'm sure I can find an willing accomplice there).

As for the modular plate design, I was thinking something like this...

image.png.d3bf8642856077366106025ad14b9d5a.png

Rough AutoCAD mock-up of the plates and centre column. The spotlighted areas indicate stepped "tabs" for each plate level to rest on as they get pushed down.

So yeah, that's the idea anyway, execution is a different story, haha!

I have made a little progress. Both layers of the pliers rack is now completed and mounted to the side panel.

IMG_0343.jpeg.998c0876697c391934a4f9e73a00f3ed.jpeg

These are the tools that I selected for this kit.

From the top left:

1. Engineer PZ-58 screw extracting pliers. It also works well as general pliers.

2. Fujiya 7700N-175 High Leverage Diagonal Cutting Nippers

3. Gedore Needle nose pliers (I prefer this one above some of my Knipex ones because this one is made in Austria and I had a wonderful time cycling there)

4. Engineer Small needle nose pliers

5-6. Park tool pin spanners

7. Engineer scissors

8. Knipex parallel jaw pliers (I prefer this above a shifting spanner)

9. Knipex water pump pliers

10. Gedore locking pliers

11. Knipex Bowden cable pliers (I really like the Felco ones as well, but they don't have the crimping function like these ones

12. Park tool chain link pliers

Below is the protoype for another small shelf that will hold some liquids and where some tools will pass through. The Smoove people should just not change their bottle...

IMG_0344.jpeg.cfcbbcb1be67ee6ebd4a756210e97aa4.jpeg

Some context:

263426308_Screenshot2022-03-25at17_36_40.png.e20f39c78227af507d5b9599cb6722ba.png

Today I laid out all the tools I want in the systainer caddy/insert, Many of which I had to retrieve from my toolbelt... leading me to realize that I am a walking toolbox (or just a tool/box, depending who you speak to 😅)

image.png.b442bd0c7ba0d88ece0c3ca5042e7da5.png

image.png.884462bddc722ac03302cf1b1a2aaea9.png

There are a number of tools I could add or remove from this, but the general idea is there.

I wear it backwards (like most kiwi tradies do) and it does weigh a fair few kgs (but I have a fair few extra of those on me anyway, haha).

So I guess that's the big challenge or the primary objectives for the systainer caddy:

• reduce weight carried (easy)
  • increase tool capacity over toolbelt (not too hard)
  • keep tools easily accessible (quite tricky)
Edited by patches

• 3 weeks later...

5000km later and multiple Sludge topups later the sealant was anything but white ...

I dont have good experiences with debeading a tire and reseating it .... 

So how to get the old sludge out ... without debeading the tire.

Screenshot_20220416-110136_Gallery.jpg.7cdd0356d3fdef4067a2702bd5670924.jpg

Thin copper tube to pass through the valve, and a syringe.  Worked a charm 😁

Insert the tube until it touches the tyre, lift a mm and extract the old sludge

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Hairy said:

Safety glasses look to be a good investment for any tool box

Multiple Pairs... I have had a few incidents so we have a pair on each grinder(6 different Grinders) then there is a pair in each tool box and a few spares lying around. A pair on the compressor after I blew a tyre off the rim inflating it and ended up with slime in my eyes. And that is before we start digging in the firearm safety stash of glasses. Same goes for ears. If it makes a noise it has a set of ear pro. even the agricultural engineers know the rules.

On 3/26/2022 at 3:04 AM, patches said:

Today I laid out all the tools I want in the systainer caddy/insert, Many of which I had to retrieve from my toolbelt... leading me to realize that I am a walking toolbox (or just a tool/box, depending who you speak to 😅)

image.png.b442bd0c7ba0d88ece0c3ca5042e7da5.png

image.png.884462bddc722ac03302cf1b1a2aaea9.png

There are a number of tools I could add or remove from this, but the general idea is there.

I wear it backwards (like most kiwi tradies do) and it does weigh a fair few kgs (but I have a fair few extra of those on me anyway, haha).

So I guess that's the big challenge or the primary objectives for the systainer caddy:

• reduce weight carried (easy)
  • increase tool capacity over toolbelt (not too hard)
  • keep tools easily accessible (quite tricky)

Can we get some details on that hammer please...