Buying bike for wife

H de Beer

I am looking at buying my wife a mtb. She only do gravel road and tar no single track or any technical stuff. I am looking at the Avalanche Reflex Pro (2020). It has nice specs for that price range. I'm looking at the R8k price range.

1 x 12, Lockout air shock ext.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And silicone grips

And good shorts

Make the bike comfortable so that she can enjoy cycling

Yip I agree with the Shorts/Bib thing, after Sunday's 110k race, She thanked me for the expensive bib.

Does she ride currently?  (A bike)

Maybe off topic - I found wives / girlfriends to be very delicate and complicated creatures especially when it comes to co-cycling.    I have bought many MTB's over the last 20 years for girlfriends and for my wife (1) All of them who were never much into cycling - so the act of buying them bikes were purely out of my own desire to have them enjoy the sport with me.   I think I have over invested in their bikes and I was also over optimistic about them becoming as passionate about the sport and gear as I am.  In reality the bikes were never ridden to potential and other personal interests were prioritised - not cycling.    My wife loves tennis and I much rather invest in good tennis gear to see her enjoy "her" sport rather than a fancy bike that she would only use for the odd casual 5 - 10 km ride.

Iv had the total opposite she is 100% into it as i am, and now every costs  

double Epic J2C w2W B&B H&B etc  F up :whistling:  :ph34r: but on the positive side ones that workout together stay together 16 years marriage. :clap:

Maybe off topic - I found wives / girlfriends to be very delicate and complicated creatures especially when it comes to co-cycling.    I have bought many MTB's over the last 20 years for girlfriends and for my wife (1) All of them who were never much into cycling - so the act of buying them bikes were purely out of my own desire to have them enjoy the sport with me.   I think I have over invested in their bikes and I was also over optimistic about them becoming as passionate about the sport and gear as I am.  In reality the bikes were never ridden to potential and other personal interests were prioritised - not cycling.    My wife loves tennis and I much rather invest in good tennis gear to see her enjoy "her" sport rather than a fancy bike that she would only use for the odd casual 5 - 10 km ride.

Personally I would follow the advice from "Ashchest".

If your wife wants to get into the sport and want to go "full-out" and enter races etc then by all means get a proper bike, but if she's still on the fence and wants to try it out, then I will not spend more than like R3k (nothing wrong with a 26er for someone who's trying it out  :thumbup: )

I came in here to say this but you have it covered already :)

Unless you both use the same frame size I would go cheap as possible to see if the bug actually bites.

I have a bike I lend to mates wanting to get their wives/gf's into mtb. I call it "The dreambreaker" because after 2 or 3 rides the dream of enjoying your sport with the SO is normally in tatters and the bike search ends...

Good advice.

The same thing applies to parents buying bikes for their children.

Just a funny story......my friend is a passionate cyclist, his wife's idea of exercise is sitting on the couch watching tv and smoking herself to death. She has no interest in exercise and no interest in cycling. She has told him this many a time. Despite this, he truly believed that she would cycle and bought her an expensive bike for Christmas. Come May, she hadn't even sat on it. He was convinced that she didn't ride because the saddle was not right for her. He bought her a new saddle as a birthday present. 10 years later, the bike and the saddle are still un-ridden.  

I came in here to say this but you have it covered already :)

Unless you both use the same frame size I would go cheap as possible to see if the bug actually bites.

I have a bike I lend to mates wanting to get their wives/gf's into mtb. I call it "The dreambreaker" because after 2 or 3 rides the dream of enjoying your sport with the SO is normally in tatters and the bike search ends...

Good advice.

I found a low spec, 26" bike for a friend who thought that cycling looked nice.

She rode it around the Spruit a few times, we went to the Cradle once or twice and she decided that as she now had a feel for it, she could get into cycling. And she has.

We built up a nice HT MTB for her and she has been riding 2-4 times a week since then. The "old" bike has been lent to a friend of hers who is now also considering riding.

Tumbleweed used to relate the story of how when he was married his wife used to moan about the time and money he spent on his bikes. After the divorce his now ex wife did a complete 180 and became passionate about cycling herself. 

I decided that I was going to get my wife a bike and to be honest I she has steered away from all my 'hobbies' so I probably should have told her first. She likes to ski, I snowboard, She water skis, I wake board, I tried to teach her to surf once, that nearly broke us up. 

I went in with the idea of finding her a decent bike for not a lot of coin as I knew it would pretty much be for riding with the kids, a bit of a 5km with me around lower tokai etc. My budget was 10K odd and to be honest alot of the bikes in that range both new and used were either not suitable or just horrible.... so the budget went up and as the budget went up so bikes I wanted started to come into play and the focus changed. Of course she wanted a steel hardtail that I could build over time. No check myself. Oh, that Sliverback Slade looks great fun with the Revelation 140mm fork and finally a well spec'd bike (for double the budget and a bit). What was I thinking... Well I was thinking from my side and what I wanted. I really wanted a rowdy hardtail, so next idea was a long slack, Sick Bikes frame. No, no no. 

Soooooo... I dialled it back in and decided it was time to think about this right. What I ended up getting was a Spez Fatboy. But wait why would I do that? Easy. The one I found was show room condition, well under R7k, came with good Sram components, upgraded XT brakes, spare tyres and a carbon fork - carbon fork that doesn't need servicing and won't be a source of fiddling. It's comfy, good for the sandy, woody tracks of the greenbelts / Tokai and it's hilarious fun. 

It kind of ticked my hard tail needs for sure. I've used it a bit on the green belts and the Rhodes Mem' / Kirstenbosch / Constantia loop as well as Tokai Snakes (missing Cobra) and a few times at Contermans (even taking on Die Kloof) / Hoogies. So much grip but I have found the limits when I tried it on a Tokai DH. Needs a dropper. 

And yes, she's ridden it a fair few times and is perfectly happy on it. Maybe if she gets more into riding then she can spec her own bike for what she wants and not me spec'ing a N+1 bike for me. 

Still eyeing up long, slack steel frame... that hasn't changed. 

Edited by T-Bob