Preview: New Bike Hub test site is live

Matt

Really liking the favorites on ads feature. In the past I was screenshotting things I wanted to go back to. Maybe it was always there and I was using it wrong? Hahaa.

What about including an emoji happy face, indifferent face, and angry face next to sellers name on posts as a quick reference to persons ratings. Then you can click in to read the details?

The favourites feature is brand new so you weren't missing anything! We're expecting it to be popular.

On the new classifieds platform we have switched from the negative / positive / indifferent rating system to a 1-5 star system. This is displayed next to the profile on classified ads with a click through to the detail, but won't pull through to the forums (at least not initially). 

Screenshot 2019-11-20 at 20.50.41.png

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Matt, I've been meaning to ask for a week or so but is there any chance of having a 'dark' theme on the new site for mobile browsing? Visiting the pages in bed late at night or before a morning ride, all that white is rather bright, even on the phones lowest brightness settings.

Dark mode is popping up everywhere these days so we'll consider adding it to the backlog. I can relate to the brightness issue in general.

Just loaded a bike on the road bikes

Enough boxes to tick but by the 5th Dura Ace I got a bit tired.Then again I am a seasoned seller and buyer and cut to the quick

I preferred the old buttons at the top of the home page that you could just hover over with the mouse to open the sub-menu. It probably changed to make the pc and mobile versions similar, but it worked great on the pc version. Also plus one on the dark mode, maybe just a gray background.

The rest looks clean and well thought out.

first thing i saw on new layout  (in the middle of my screen) was "electric bikes"

Although i see the tabs are in alphabetical order please move it to the end 

maybe rename it. or something.

Please?  :eek:  

Hi Admin

Tried to login 2 or 3 times but got a “The username/email does not exist on Bike Hub“ message.

Using an iPad from outside of SA

Just loaded a bike on the road bikes

Enough boxes to tick but by the 5th Dura Ace I got a bit tired.Then again I am a seasoned seller and buyer and cut to the quick

Thanks for getting stuck in. Glad to see that you included the couch.  :thumbup:

The components list for a full bike are optional fields. So you can simply skip them if you want. Does that help?

Thanks for getting stuck in. Glad to see that you included the couch.  :thumbup:

The components list for a full bike are optional fields. So you can simply skip them if you want. Does that help?

ha ha.....have to have the couch

Hi Admin

Tried to login 2 or 3 times but got a “The username/email does not exist on Bike Hub“ message.

Using an iPad from outside of SA

Hi SwissVan,

It seems that we had not brought your account over to the Beta site yet. A bit rude on our part. 

We'd appreciate it if you can try again.

I like the analogy and appreciate the feedback. Although we do want to modernise the site, we are conscious of making it too cold and corporate. The Bike Hub community, not just within the forums, but classifieds and all sections are the lifeblood of the site. The last thing we want to do is alienate our community with too much gentrification. But by the same token, there's room for some improvement.

With the community in mind, the "Latest Forum Posts" is something that was recognised early on as a key feature to retain (size and position) on the home page.  

Are there particular elements of the new home page which you think give this impression? E.g. position of various sections, the blue "Buy / Sell / Connect" bar or anything else?

Of course modernising isn't just reskinning the site and things must move with the times

I don't have the luxury of the largest screen, and when the new site first opened, it reminded me of Autotrader, and oddly, that's all about selling.

I think a balance between the discussions and classifieds seems a little lopsided to me. There's selling/buying in each horizontal pane (is that the right term) and speaks to the lifeblood of the Hub. I'm not sure if there's a way to balance the community aspect with that as I'm not a UX designer and would likely fail at it.

Note that this is just my personal opinion and my taste. I can learn to love the new site

I preferred the old buttons at the top of the home page that you could just hover over with the mouse to open the sub-menu. It probably changed to make the pc and mobile versions similar, but it worked great on the pc version. Also plus one on the dark mode, maybe just a gray background.

The rest looks clean and well thought out.

+1 on the hovering menus:

I liked the way the forum grouping structure were made available (in a compact area) when hovering over the old menu - so you could eyeball it up/down/left/right without scrolling and make a judgement call on "best match" for your current interested or need.

On the new site you need to click first, then on the second page (https://www.bikehub.co.za/forums) a lot of vertical scrolling up and down to compare & decide what is that "best match"

+1 on the hovering menus:

I liked the way the forum grouping structure were made available (in a compact area) when hovering over the old menu - so you could eyeball it up/down/left/right without scrolling and make a judgement call on "best match" for your current interested or need.

On the new site you need to click first, then on the second page (https://www.bikehub.co.za/forums) a lot of vertical scrolling up and down to compare & decide what is that "best match"

Thanks for the feedback, we'll look at the hovering vs. click on desktop.

With regards to the forum drop down menu, we based the trim down on heat maps where it was clear the vast majority of use was people heading straight to "What's new" (Active topics) rather than to a specific forum. 

Are there specific quick links to sections you use more than others, or do you just prefer having the option for a direct link through to any of them?

Of course modernising isn't just reskinning the site and things must move with the times

I don't have the luxury of the largest screen, and when the new site first opened, it reminded me of Autotrader, and oddly, that's all about selling.

I think a balance between the discussions and classifieds seems a little lopsided to me. There's selling/buying in each horizontal pane (is that the right term) and speaks to the lifeblood of the Hub. I'm not sure if there's a way to balance the community aspect with that as I'm not a UX designer and would likely fail at it.

Note that this is just my personal opinion and my taste. I can learn to love the new site

100% and this is much more than just a re-skin. Most of the change we're implementing is under the hood and while many users might never know or see it, it enables us to more rapidly and iteratively improve the offering based on feedback.

At the moment we're stuck on an embarrassingly old version of the forum platform which is no longer supported by the developer. This both limits our ability to build on the site and creates significant risk. 

In terms of the balance between forums and classifieds, although the presence of the forums technically hasn't changed on the home page, we have added more around "Buy & Sell" and I can see how this might shift the balance too far for some. 

As I mentioned earlier, the community underpins Bike Hub in all areas. Without it the site simply would not exist and although the traffic volumes bias towards classifieds, we see the community as core to the business. There's certainly more we can and aim to do in terms of ensuring we promote use of the forums. It's a proven valuable resource for many cyclists and a core social platform for a large group of regulars.

We know there's a lot more we can do to improve the experience on the forums through an improved platform, thoughtful integration and promotion on the site and better engagement with the community (from our side). Some of that will depend on us updating the platform in early 2020, but we're mindful of not appearing to shove it to one side in the interim.

Hi SwissVan,

It seems that we had not brought your account over to the Beta site yet. A bit rude on our part. 

We'd appreciate it if you can try again.

Also can't log in?