[Event] The MTB Challenge

Pedal Power Association

So my toppie, now that he is retired, has more time on his hands and my folks are going down to CPT a bit earlier this year for CTCT and he is wanting to do this race. What can he expect ITO technicality? Remember he is a 63 y/o roadie that pushes my HR up on the tandem because he still has the desire to race. So while he won't be winning the race, he still wants to "race" it. 

Any tips will help. He is doing some 4 day MTB race in Oz later this year so he is trying to do more off road to experience different terrains.

I'm beginning to understand that what I understand as non-technical the missus finds to be Diamond Black graded riding. So it's all relative.

Based on his fitness, he will manage by the sounds of it.

I don't think the race is too technical, but he needs to be comfortable riding around steep/sharp switchbacks up & down, manage to squeeze past some precariously placed rocks and ride over a few boom wortels. 

Other than that it's just having to deal with some congestion at some of these obstacles as people get off their bikes and push, etc.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my toppie, now that he is retired, has more time on his hands and my folks are going down to CPT a bit earlier this year for CTCT and he is wanting to do this race. What can he expect ITO technicality? Remember he is a 63 y/o roadie that pushes my HR up on the tandem because he still has the desire to race. So while he won't be winning the race, he still wants to "race" it. 

Any tips will help. He is doing some 4 day MTB race in Oz later this year so he is trying to do more off road to experience different terrains.

I agree with Chingy. The race will be tough because of the heat & loads of climbing. The last few kilometers in the Banhoek valley are rocky & real tough on a tired body. But nothing so technical that it would require special skills from your dad. Most of the singletrack in the first half is actually fast & "flowy" with lots of berms, big fun for all skill levels! The route is also structured in a way that there are a number of "short cuts" back onto the tar road & down home if the day turns out to be more than he could handle - so let him give it a shot!

My wife and I decided to do this race for the 1st time so the opinions of you have done it previously are very interesting

Although I am a lot younger than Long Wheel Base’s dad - a mere 62- the amount of climbing concerns me way more than any technical sections.

Apart from Breedts Nek us Gautengers have to travel far to find big climbs to train on

Haven't done the CTCT mtb race or any other race down CT side before, only raced the Garden route races and Oudtshoorn events. This seems like a nice race (30km) for a very non pro mtbiker.

Edited by BSG

I'm beginning to understand that what I understand as non-technical the missus finds to be Diamond Black graded riding. So it's all relative.

Based on his fitness, he will manage by the sounds of it.

I don't think the race is too technical, but he needs to be comfortable riding around steep/sharp switchbacks up & down, manage to squeeze past some precariously placed rocks and ride over a few boom wortels. 

Other than that it's just having to deal with some congestion at some of these obstacles as people get off their bikes and push, etc.

I agree with Chingy. The race will be tough because of the heat & loads of climbing. The last few kilometers in the Banhoek valley are rocky & real tough on a tired body. But nothing so technical that it would require special skills from your dad. Most of the singletrack in the first half is actually fast & "flowy" with lots of berms, big fun for all skill levels! The route is also structured in a way that there are a number of "short cuts" back onto the tar road & down home if the day turns out to be more than he could handle - so let him give it a shot!

So he did a short 40km MTB race yesterday. He started in the last group and still managed to finish 29th overall and 2nd Grand Master. The winner who is still in school(as with most of the top 10) was only 13 min ahead of him. I think this race was pretty flat but he doesn't struggle up the hills at all. He might struggle with the technical stuff due to only really starting to ride proper MTB very recently.

Thanks for the info.

My wife and I decided to do this race for the 1st time so the opinions of you have done it previously are very interesting

Although I am a lot younger than Long Wheel Base’s dad - a mere 62- the amount of climbing concerns me way more than any technical sections.

Apart from Breedts Nek us Gautengers have to travel far to find big climbs to train on

Yeah this is very true, especially when it comes to dirt. Tar, we(you and I because we live close) can find plenty that is close. Modders is not really that hilly.

So he did a short 40km MTB race yesterday. He started in the last group and still managed to finish 29th overall and 2nd Grand Master. The winner who is still in school(as with most of the top 10) was only 13 min ahead of him. I think this race was pretty flat but he doesn't struggle up the hills at all. He might struggle with the technical stuff due to only really starting to ride proper MTB very recently.

Thanks for the info.

Already sounds like he is going to finish ahead of most of us  :whistling:

Already sounds like he is going to finish ahead of most of us  :whistling:

One of the main reasons I ride tandem with him is to make sure he always crosses the line behind me. He flipping took a strava KOM from me in December.

• 4 weeks later...

Did a little bit of the 60km route on Boschendal Black yesterday, written off my knee while playing with my gps and lost concentration for a second..such great timing urgh.. hope I can recover in time for this event and the Argus.

Just this little 25km section I did was already miiiles more technical than anything on the previous years 60km route. Steep loose rocky climbs(people will push this guaranteed).. Descents with loose and sharp rocks with sandy patches here and there, dry river bed crossings with boulders that like to catch your front wheel.. and just the two sugarbowl singletrack pockets are already far more technical than anything we faced in last years race. I can't see how people are going to ride that steep switchbacks down if last years capabilities I saw is anything to go by. I can already see major pile ups happening down the singletracks.

I think at least 50% of the fields entries are lost after this year. Most people don't like this type of technical races, they want the vineyard block roads and simple jeep track for the climbs and the mellow flowy singletracks down like the last couple of years.

Just this little 25km section I did was already miiiles more technical than anything on the previous years 60km route. Steep loose rocky climbs(people will push this guaranteed).. Descents with loose and sharp rocks with sandy patches here and there, dry river bed crossings with boulders that like to catch your front wheel.. and just the two sugarbowl singletrack pockets are already far more technical than anything we faced in last years race. I can't see how people are going to ride that steep switchbacks down if last years capabilities I saw is anything to go by. I can already see major pile ups happening down the singletracks.

I am a poor climber so I will be near the back of the field. So my feeling is that ,although I am reasonably capable of riding technical sections, I will be hiking a bike for some time.

I don't like walking so I wonder whether it will be better to move to the 30km 

Did a little bit of the 60km route on Boschendal Black yesterday, written off my knee while playing with my gps and lost concentration for a second..such great timing urgh.. hope I can recover in time for this event and the Argus.

I think at least 50% of the fields entries are lost after this year. Most people don't like this type of technical races, they want the vineyard block roads and simple jeep track for the climbs and the mellow flowy singletracks down like the last couple of years.

JohanDiv, are you mentioning only the 60km? I've entered for the 30km, but had to cancel due to other obligations, but now again things changed and I will be able to go and do the 30km as we are taking my son to Stellenbosch for the university open day on the 29th, is the 30km race as difficult or not?

JohanDiv, are you mentioning only the 60km? I've entered for the 30km, but had to cancel due to other obligations, but now again things changed and I will be able to go and do the 30km as we are taking my son to Stellenbosch for the university open day on the 29th, is the 30km race as difficult or not?

The 30km will be very easy compared to the 60km monster. Rode those trails before and the 30km will easily be doable by an average MTBer in under 2 hours.

Hi all,

Interesting to read all of the comments, more so to read that the majority says:"Its going to be  a thriller".

I was going to enter the 30km, mainly because I was possibly going to do the CTCT the next weekend with couple of work colleagues. But I had to withdraw from the CTCT due to family responsibilities. 

Leaving me now with the decision: 30km vs 60km??

So, who is entering what?