So how much does the bike matter?

Headshot

I have to say this because I will probably never again get the chance to say something like that again - but that was me  :whistling:

snip

congrats!

PS: you just wait till I get the proper tools for the job though...

:D 

OT:

PPS: I was annoyed on saturday morning that i couldn't go do my usual ride due to the races'route change so i literally rode my bike there and entered 45min before the start of the race haha

Edited by morneS555

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to believe the bike makes a difference, it needed to be a top brand dual built up to great spec because that's what the fast guys were riding.

Then about 3 years ago my budget was out the window had to sell my nice dual suspensions and go much cheaper.

What I have realized is how you feel on a bike is much more important than spec or weight.

2016 If I did the whole Hoogies I would be klaar, now I ride from home do Bloemendal then over to Contermans down klap Hoogies just to add more fun, Fair Cape and Klipheuwel back still weighing basically the same as I did. Riding trails and obstacles now on a HT I would have walked on my fancy dual.

I own two bikes, neither of which are new.

Tarmac S-Works SL4, Black. Gives me great pleasure riding it & i look forward to riding it outdoors on weekends.  When i see it in the garage, I look forward to the weekend.

I also have a Scott Genius 710 27.5 2013 model.  I enjoyed it when I got it, as I was a roadie at the time.  A few suspension issues, and squeeks that would not go away, and a lot heavier than I expected, I decided to a few upgrades.  New Fox fork & Ohlins shock, and I went 1x12 instead of 3x10.

I kept the wheels the same as they were still working, but changed to better tyres.

I now have a big problem! Which bike do I ride on weekends.  I love riding both bikes and enjoy the different aspects of road/MTB.

In my mind the bike does matter.  My bikes make me want to ride.  They give me pride in the fact that they have both been effectively built/speced, from the frame up.

Choose the bike that you like. can afford, and ride the damn thing.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I own two bikes, neither of which are new.

.... i look forward to riding it outdoors on weekends.  When i see it in the garage, I look forward to the weekend.

snip

This x1000.

When i look at my bike i'm already planning where i'm going to go faster or harder or better next time.  It is comfortable, built up by me...for me and me alone. 

When/if I suck on the day....it is my fault and mine alone - also why I've only really ever liked individual sports...no team mates to blame for your sucky performances.

I honestly feel that if you don't yearn for riding your bike when it catches your eye you are probably not a cyclist (yet?) 

We all have some extent of fomo when it comes to new things...but if looks or having the newest, shiniest bike or kit is your ONLY motivation then you are most likely a golfer partaking in activities less suited to your actual interests  :whistling:  ^_^

I want to look at this the other way round:

for the road, the bike makes a huge difference (to a point) simple weight/resistances vs. power output - the curve is very flat at the top but steep at the bottom - 5k to 15k  (20kg to 8kg) will be huge 15K to 175k (8kg to 6.123kg) not so much.

For the mountain bikers - the bike makes a big difference - to how fast the rider can go - not should go. I think the expensive high tech dual sus allows an average rider to ride way to fast over stuff they should never go - on the other hand spending 100k on an epic is better spend on a 30k bike and 60k of diet/ trainer/ skills etc. 10k left for coffee and beer

Jeez mate.Get on a really responsive point and shoot bike over a piece of plumbing and feel the difference.

Been there, done that.

My 2.c or even less:

A bike does make a difference both on the positive and negative especially with weight. One would tend to think a lighter bike - if going uphill for example - is better. Sometimes its not and testing we have done proves this time and time again. A small example is:

In December we tested wheels - rim depth etc, tyre, pressure, tubes, clinchers, width of tyres, chain tension, chain lubrication and rolling resistance on a certain frame to name a few.

The lightiest combo wasn't the best. By a bit. The heavier tube for example created less rolling resistance than some of those really light tubes on the market. 

Frames are the same with drag and weight for example.

All these things need to be taken into account when you go for a "light bike" 

The same goes for TT - been in Aigle now for a intense week of testing equipment and rider for a possible project coming up. Again, light or "more aero position" isn't the best or most optimal when you look at CDA, Power, Lactate at power, rolling resistance, distance traveled. 

Same goes for MTB, tyre combo's, suspension set up even when it is not the best fork or shock is better than a top of the line fork set up wrong. 

Technology is great and so advanced but the best isn't always the best option. 

My 2.c or even less:

A bike does make a difference both on the positive and negative especially with weight. One would tend to think a lighter bike - if going uphill for example - is better. Sometimes its not and testing we have done proves this time and time again. A small example is:

In December we tested wheels - rim depth etc, tyre, pressure, tubes, clinchers, width of tyres, chain tension, chain lubrication and rolling resistance on a certain frame to name a few.

The lightiest combo wasn't the best. By a bit. The heavier tube for example created less rolling resistance than some of those really light tubes on the market. 

Frames are the same with drag and weight for example.

All these things need to be taken into account when you go for a "light bike" 

The same goes for TT - been in Aigle now for a intense week of testing equipment and rider for a possible project coming up. Again, light or "more aero position" isn't the best or most optimal when you look at CDA, Power, Lactate at power, rolling resistance, distance traveled. 

Same goes for MTB, tyre combo's, suspension set up even when it is not the best fork or shock is better than a top of the line fork set up wrong. 

Technology is great and so advanced but the best isn't always the best option. 

I would love to see your stats overall. That would make for some interesting debate...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbike-poll-how-much-does-the-bike-impact-racers-results.html#cid2499152

There seems to be a healthy belief out there that the bike matters rather a lot if you look at the poll results. I am in the other camp - if its the right class of bike for the job,  got wheels, suspension and gears and a good fit the bike makes very little difference. ( so don't give Nino a 16kg enduro bike and expect him to win XC, or Maes a Scot Spark...)  It's all about the riders skill and fitness. Within reason of course....

Just to add, I think that in this country the belief that the bike is very important is probably even stronger...

Prove me wrong with facts or just express your opinion however misguided :-) 

Arguably, one of the greatest technicians in MTB, Fabian Barel, believes forward geometry marks the biggest improvement in bike frame design since sliced bread. Even bike skills runs out of room on a frame that's too short. Sam Hill and Brendan Fairclough both confirmed this when they insightfully noted that swinging off the back of a bike with a short rear-end feels fast, but the clock often says otherwise. Neko Mullaly has also echoed this sentiment recently.

In MTB, balance on the bike in the longitudinal direction (between the wheels) is key to performance when descending. Forward geometry has created alot more room for talented folks to express their skills, to the extent that forward geometry has found a place even in XCO, which started placing a higher emphasis on skill, not just fitness.

So i'd say, the bike still has a huge influence.

Arguably, one of the greatest technicians in MTB, Fabian Barel, believes forward geometry marks the biggest improvement in bike frame design since sliced bread. Even bike skills runs out of room on a frame that's too short. Sam Hill and Brendan Fairclough both confirmed this when they insightfully noted that swinging off the back of a bike with a short rear-end feels fast, but the clock often says otherwise. Neko Mullaly has also echoed this sentiment recently.

In MTB, balance on the bike in the longitudinal direction (between the wheels) is key to performance when descending. Forward geometry has created alot more room for talented folks to express their skills, to the extent that forward geometry has found a place even in XCO, which started placing a higher emphasis on skill, not just fitness.

So i'd say, the bike still has a huge influence.

True. But I'd argue that many of us splitting hairs over marginal gains could probably attribute much of the perceived performance benefit to the placebo effect of new bike stoke than a degree here or a centimeter there.

True. But I'd argue that many of us splitting hairs over marginal gains could probably attribute much of the perceived performance benefit to the placebo effect of new bike stoke than a degree here or a centimeter there.

I'd gladly give you a brand new unicycle to test your placebo theory...

I would love to see your stats overall. That would make for some interesting debate...

I cannot unfortunately share that information publicly. But yes, it would be a great debate.