Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Went from table view to dville this morning, well it's back to normal, lots of traffic, not so pleasant, I forgot how it was to cycle at peak hours and why I wasn't cycling before work before this lockdown thing, it's stressful and dangerous and not fun ! But lunchrides are nice ;)

Looking forward to the weekend ! ;)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Macbook Pro 2017, 16GB RAM, the keyboard and stage light version

Eish, R35 - 40K piece of kit.

The boss will not approve that project !

Old and slow now...keyboard shite (Apple have admitted and are replacing them free and ribbon connecter to screen poorly designed (Apple have denied this...google stage light effect), both causing eventual hardware failure...but has served me well otherwise!

Went for a little jog this morning. NO ONE apart from the usual cyclists out. Nada. NATEENG.

People are such strange things. Now that we can exercise any time we do nothing. Couchies are back on the couch.

Now that I'm back at the office it's a bit more challenging. In level 4 I rode 6 to 8/8:15. When I walked into the house my PC and phone was on for emergencies - I could take a quick shower and sit down and start working at 8:45.

Now I have to leave home at 7:45 (and I live closer to the office than most people) to be at work on time which means a 7:15 finish - 5:15 start. And all the other small things like feeding the dogs, breakfast, dishes, laundry, etc. which happened in breaks between calls and work in the morning during L4 now needs to happen before I leave for work. I know lots of people do it, but that's a little too early for me to do sustainably 3 or 4 days per week.

There is also the mental aspect of knowing you can go ride in the afternoon now which makes it just a bit easier to snooze the alarm, even though life gets in the way 90% of the time. In L4 when I woke up at 5:30 I knew this was my only chance for the day, so it was a bit easier.

So for me the riding is definitely a bit less now than L4. But aiming to keep the new habbits formed in L4 going and get out at least twice a week before work.

All excuses, I know. But lockdown was nicer than normal in some aspects....

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Now that I'm back at the office it's a bit more challenging. In level 4 I rode 6 to 8/8:15. When I walked into the house my PC and phone was on for emergencies - I could take a quick shower and sit down and start working at 8:45.

Now I have to leave home at 7:45 (and I live closer to the office than most people) to be at work on time which means a 7:15 finish - 5:15 start. And all the other small things like feeding the dogs, breakfast, dishes, laundry, etc. which happened in breaks between calls and work in the morning during L4 now needs to happen before I leave for work. I know lots of people do it, but that's a little too early for me to do sustainably 3 or 4 days per week.

There is also the mental aspect of knowing you can go ride in the afternoon now which makes it just a bit easier to snooze the alarm, even though life gets in the way 90% of the time. In L4 when I woke up at 5:30 I knew this was my only chance for the day, so it was a bit easier.

So for me the riding is definitely a bit less now than L4. But aiming to keep the new habbits formed in L4 going and get out at least twice a week before work.

Likewise for me on many aspects.

But as soon as my lights eventually arrive I'll commute to work by bike, that will atleast stop the body complaining that its not getting its daily does of exercise.

Slowbee, I had to buy one of the Ds something in that range recently and in the process discovered that there are some good deals on  top end laptops if you are willing to go 2nd hand. Eventually we bought new, but I have heard of a few good experiences from friends and family. I don't have the detail of how and where to look, but I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction.

Likewise for me on many aspects.

But as soon as my lights eventually arrive I'll commute to work by bike, that will atleast stop the body complaining that its not getting its daily does of exercise.

What lights you getting?

I have 1500 lumens on the front (giant 500 and Ryder 1000 with battery) and a red flashy from Ryder that cost NOTHING but G-DAMN it's bright enough.

When we run I put the flashy on the back of my small dakine pack and the 500 lumen giant boy on the shoulder strap. Looks somewhat home made (which it is) but effective.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Slowbee, I had to buy one of the Ds something in that range recently and in the process discovered that there are some good deals on  top end laptops if you are willing to go 2nd hand. Eventually we bought new, but I have heard of a few good experiences from friends and family. I don't have the detail of how and where to look, but I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction.

http://secondbite.co.za/

I've had friends buy from these guys before. All refurbished & back up to normal operational parameters. 

Slowbee, I had to buy one of the Ds something in that range recently and in the process discovered that there are some good deals on top end laptops if you are willing to go 2nd hand. Eventually we bought new, but I have heard of a few good experiences from friends and family. I don't have the detail of how and where to look, but I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction.

www.nerdy.co.za - One of my brother in law's companies. I worked for Nerdy for a couple of years. Good deals to be had!

I'm biased, obviously, but you'll get excellent service and backup from them.

What lights you getting?

I have 1500 lumens on the front (giant 500 and Ryder 1000 with battery) and a red flashy from Ryder that cost NOTHING but G-DAMN it's bright enough.

When we run I put the flashy on the back of my small dakine pack and the 500 lumen giant boy on the shoulder strap. Looks somewhat home made (which it is) but effective.

These Lezynne ones. Was more than I wanted to spend, but needed front and rear and everything in my budget was very low in Lumens.

I liked these because you can control both from the front light.

1-LED-32P-V104_ConnectSmartPair_v1_R1_sq

I've basically stopped the Zwifting for the last 2 weeks. I just can't bring myself to even contemplate getting on it anymore. I've even cancelled my Zwift subscription for now.

I've got some heavy work deadlines looming so my exercise is limited to running on Tuesday & Thursday mornings and riding on the weekends for now. I find the running to be effective during the week. As long as you're running on a road with streetlights you can see where you are going and you can run on the pavement. Also you get warm REAL QUICK and you can destroy yourself in well under an hour no problem.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

These Lezynne ones. Was more than I wanted to spend, but needed front and rear and everything in my budget was very low in Lumens.

Those look nice.

Top tip. Run the light under your bar. Looks WAY less goon IMO.

Those look nice.

Top tip. Run the light under your bar. Looks WAY less goon IMO.

The Giant I have has this strange hybrid hydraulic brake system, cable from the levers actuate pistons in a master cylinder type thing that sits on the front of the stem, so Giant provides you with an attachment that bolts onto this so you can mount lights etc.

This attachment though sits rather low under the stem, I'll need to see what it looks like once the light is on.

1-LED-32P-V104_ConnectSmartPair_v1_R1_sq

Ouzo, from where did you get this?

You were free to ride at anytime of the morning with the muppet in a doek telling you.

To thank the crackdown for anything is verging on Stockholm Syndrome.

Ouzo, from where did you get this?

I bought from Bike-Addict. But they're having supply issues at the moment. They confirmed with their supplier regarding stock before concluding my order, but the supplier is struggling to get them delivered.

Its a pity, I was hoping to start commuting from 1 June, but I understand the backlogs due to lockdown.