Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

I think you can remove the obedient bit from this! If there is one thing we are good at in South Africa its dodging the rules and the laws!

True but still you cant punish everyone because of this. Then we should just ban driving, hell just throw everyone in jail then.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some governments, ours included, seems to have some sense to realize that freedom of movement should not be limited unnecessarily.

Not what I asked

Wrong it is contact with people that is spreading the virus. This is not the time to be unreasonable.

Contact with people comes from?

Which countries is it working fine? By that I mean a country that has allowed people to go outside running or riding and have now beaten this ******* virus?

Hello, allowing people to exercise alone is not supposed to help beat the virus, but if done without contact with people, it will not help spread the virus, but it helps people through the time of lockdown.

Which countries is it working fine? By that I mean a country that has allowed people to go outside running or riding and have now beaten this ******* virus?

Well none have beaten it so that’s not a question that can be answered.

However I would say all countries are different.

For example here in ROI we’re still allowed to go out, even gather (at distance) with up to 4 people and yet they say they’re happy with the way the numbers are turning downwards because people have been responsible for the most part.

In some other countries people wipe their ass on this and contribute to the problem.

True but still you cant punish everyone because of this. Then we should just ban driving, hell just throw everyone in jail then.

This is NOT a punishment. No one is punishing you personally for a global pandemic.

This is a global strategy to stop the spread of this disease and spread out the timeframe of people going to hospitals so they can get adequate treatment. How are you taking this lockdown so personally, literally the whole world is going through it.

Its simple, 3 weeks of our lives we are being asked to stay at home to help our communities.

Just. stay. at. home.

This is NOT a punishment. No one is punishing you personally for a global pandemic.

This is a global strategy to stop the spread of this disease and spread out the timeframe of people going to hospitals so they can get adequate treatment. How are you taking this lockdown so personally, literally the whole world is going through it.

Its simple, 3 weeks of our lives we are being asked to stay at home to help our communities.

Just. stay. at. home.

Please explain to me how taking away my right to be alone outside is a problem? Anyways, sense has prevailed, no use debating this, we can exercise outside as long as we are responsible in terms of contact with others.

You guys are watching way to many movies. This is not Contagion, you are not Matt Damon trying to save the world. The virus wont wait around every corner trying to infect you when you go for a run. Maybe do some reading on how you actually get infected.

In a civilised society the allowance of exercise from your front door can work... But it also depends on a number of factors like population density etc. If everyone in a high density area was out running cycling and walking their dogs then it would pointless. People will also abuse this.. They won't run/cycle on their own... They won't do it from their front door... For that reason in a South African context I think it is foolish to do..

There's a bigger fear I have in A South African context though.... We have some of the highest incidence of domestic violence. This coupled with alcohol and a tight confinement is a disaster waiting to happen.... Privelidged people worrying about exercising is trivial

Edited by Stretch

Our nature is to interact - it's one of our great evolutionary advantages, the ability to co-ordinate our behaviour in complex social patterns. As an animal,one person alone is weak, but a group of us accomplishes amazing things. It is one of the reasons we are such a successful species - that is to say we replicate our genes a lot and proliferate.

The virus exploits this behaviour to replicate itself. That is all that drives this - the replication of genetic material. Go for that run by all means - you probably won't encounter a policeman but if you do the virus might be copying itself in his mucosa and using it's strategy of hiding in our bodily secretions and excretions waiting for you to follow our major strategy - which is interact.

We have to curtail our natural impulses in the way we might stop a dog from following it's natural impulse to chase a cat across a busy road. It's his nature to run across the road - everything in his genes says chasing cats is fun and they might be good to eat and if he doesn't know about cars his nature will kill him.

Same story here - our nature says touch, kiss, hug, interact, participate in the grand complexity of bike rides and running and gyms and restaurants and the outdoors because it's fun and it is also the behaviour that has made us so successful as a species. Except not right now because another life form is exploiting that to use us a transport and incubator.

So I've got a leash on my dog but he's not going walkies. He doesn't understand why not and he's not happy about it but I'm being nice to him which he appreciates and it wins his obedience. I don't have a dog BTW, I'm the dog or the son of b who doesn't have any work and really should do something more creative than play on bikehub.

Surely that is not enough?

As far as I understand thing, if she is a carrier none of the cleaning will prevent her from infecting the rest of the crew. 

That is just the very last step ....

At work they have safety measures for normal work, ie gloves etc.  When dealing with suspected CV cases they don the hazmat suites (for lack of better term).  Working night shift she is supposed to be dealing with the normal hospital patients ... lately she is alternating between normal and hazmat gear through the night.

Whole cleaning ritual before leaving work ....

Getting out of work clothes and yet another wash is just the final step in trying to keep her family safe.