Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

So this is a current conversation in an estate group

CePdJJu.png

It probably also wants to know if the maid will be let in.

I think people having to do housework may just destroy some people

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really enjoyed this conversation. It has confirmed to me that the distinction between public health initiative and personal survival strategy is a useful one.

I really hope all hubbers are safe and sound on the other side of this. I hope I am wrong but I think it will be springtime before we emerge and that it is going to be a long and arduous winter.

Flame suit on.

If I want to go ride by myself with no one else within 2m of me it really should be my own choice. And no I wont be doing anything stupid like going and riding the most technical trails around so the risk of me falling are 0.000001%. It would be on sand roads/single tracks so there is an extremely small chance I will get hit by a car. So chances of me needing a hospital bed are probably the same as me losing my mind and slitting my wrists after 3 weeks.... (joke ppl).... just in case

This is all blown out of proportion. The numbers are completely skewed because not every one with a snotty nose is being tested. We cannot realistically know that the death rate is as high as stipulated without checking everybody getting a test done.

Yes there is a risk but it is to the elderly. Lock down the ppl who are 60+ and let the rest of us get on with it. The majority of people getting critically sick and dying are people over 60. We can all take the old folks their shopping and whatever they need and leave it on their doorsteps, ring the bell and walk away. This should also not overwhelm the health services because the majority of younger people getting sick will either be asymptomatic or have a mild infection.

That way we still have a workforce in place to keep the economy ticking over as well as allowing the virus to spread which would help in building up herd immunity.

This thing isnt going to go away because we all locked down for 21 days. Whats the plan after 21 days? We going to lock out the rest of the world that still has COVID-19? If there is no vaccine and no immunity this is just going to keep coming back.

Fire away people.... :ph34r:

Flame suit on.

If I want to go ride by myself with no one else within 2m of me it really should be my own choice. And no I wont be doing anything stupid like going and riding the most technical trails around so the risk of me falling are 0.000001%. It would be on sand roads/single tracks so there is an extremely small chance I will get hit by a car. So chances of me needing a hospital bed are probably the same as me losing my mind and slitting my wrists after 3 weeks.... (joke ppl).... just in case

This is all blown out of proportion. The numbers are completely skewed because not every one with a snotty nose is being tested. We cannot realistically know that the death rate is as high as stipulated without checking everybody getting a test done.

Yes there is a risk but it is to the elderly. Lock down the ppl who are 60+ and let the rest of us get on with it. The majority of people getting critically sick and dying are people over 60. We can all take the old folks their shopping and whatever they need and leave it on their doorsteps, ring the bell and walk away. This should also not overwhelm the health services because the majority of younger people getting sick will either be asymptomatic or have a mild infection.

That way we still have a workforce in place to keep the economy ticking over as well as allowing the virus to spread which would help in building up herd immunity.

This thing isnt going to go away because we all locked down for 21 days. Whats the plan after 21 days? We going to lock out the rest of the world that still has COVID-19? If there is no vaccine and no immunity this is just going to keep coming back.

https://apple.news/AZ4Cthw4iSdysePd3UZWZeQ

So, it looks like my company is exempt from the lockdown and I will keep working at the office mostly.

I am going to be getting official docs sorted and signed off at the police station later this afternoon.

I live about 10km away from work and been wondering if I could or should commute with my bike instead of going in with the car?

Irresponsible or perfectly fine?

Thoughts?

Flame suit on.

So i am 60 in 17 days . How would i fit in? Good to go then boom Lock Down? Bit simplistic.

Read my post again, I never said there was NO risk to younger people I said it was minimal. How many younger people die from the flu every year, you probably looking at very similar percentages!

I am quite well informed believe it or not, the majority of my close and extended family are in the medical profession, 5 doctors and 4 nurses, and it is something we have all be discussing in depth and although we dont all agree 100% on the above we are along pretty similar lines.

If I want to go ride by myself with no one else within 2m of me it really should be my own choice.

Even without a Corona-lockdown that has never been the unconditional  case, so why must it now be so ?

You have never had riding your bicycle by yourself as that as an unlimited right.

And as your base premise is wrong in logic and in law the rest of your self justification is not worth commenting on.

Edited by eddy

Flame suit on.

This is all blown out of proportion.

Yes there is a risk but it is to the elderly. because the majority of younger people getting sick will either be asymptomatic or have a mild infection.

I shall explain your post to my 32 year old cousin with no underlying health issues. She is an ICU nurse in England who has been working tirelessly. I'd post her answer but unfortunately she can't answer due to the tubes stuck down her throat as she fights for her life as she has Covid 19.

Flame suit on.

Maybe another day... Brandolini's law comes to mind.

It's because of people like you that we aren't allowed to have nice things

So i am 60 in 17 days . How would i fit in? Good to go then boom Lock Down? Bit simplistic.

Not all that simplistic, if you are sick, have a compromised immune system, any under lying illnesses and dont want to take the risk of exposing yourself to possibly getting infected lock yourself down. This goes for all ages. If you are in a high risk group stay out of the pool.....

If your biggest concern is whether you should go ride outside albeit against the rules you are in a pretty good position ... Many just wondering if they'll survive (starvation) and if the business they either own or work for will be able to continue operating or even exist after the initial 21 days, if it goes on longer well think for yourself.

'But don't worry I'll go ride outside cause I'll be ok' I guess is what makes some happy