Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Flame suit on.

Snip

This is all blown out of proportion.

The numbers are completely skewed because not every one with a snotty nose is being tested.

So the number could be higher?

We cannot realistically know that the death rate is as high as stipulated without checking everybody getting a test done.

That publish death rate is not thumb suck, it is where they know the person had the virus and then died.

Yes there is a risk but it is to the elderly. Lock down the ppl who are 60+ and let the rest of us get on with it. The majority of people getting critically sick and dying are people over 60.

Do you think we have enough beds in hospitals to cope with the REST being allowed to get this virus.

We can all take the old folks their shopping and whatever they need and leave it on their doorsteps, ring the bell and walk away. This should also not overwhelm the health services because the majority of younger people getting sick will either be asymptomatic or have a mild infection.

Empower yourself a bit.

This thing isnt going to go away because we all locked down for 21 days. 

FLATTEN 

THE 

CURVE

Fire away people.... :ph34r:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Snip

I am quite well informed believe it or not, the majority of my close and extended family are in the medical profession, 5 doctors and 4 nurses, and it is something we have all be discussing in depth and although we dont all agree 100% on the above we are along pretty similar lines.

Reading your post I beg to differ

CV19 Update : 25/03/2020 - CV19 in SA - 554 @ 24/03/2020.

*Lockdown Recommendations*

*1* - *DO NOT* travel for *ANY* reason other than Medical, Basic Needs or Food. You could face 1 month in jail and/or a fine if you leave home for any other personal reason. Keep your groceries receipts, doctors notes, pharmacy receipts, etc with you as proof of your reason for travel.

*2* - Always keep your ID and Drivers License with you when you do have to travel.

*3* - The Government has the right to test you for Coronavirus, detain you until the test are completed (which now takes up to 7 days due to the shear volume of tests) and place you under quarantine, so… Make sure someone always knows where you are going and when you will be back. If you are detained/quarantined, please keep someone apprised of the situation.

*4* - Do not take any detours, go straight to your destination and go back home.

*5* - If you do get stopped at a roadblock: Stay calm, be clear and be humble. Do not get aggressive or impatient.

*6* - If you have to travel for work, you will get a letter certifying this to be the case. Make sure you Manager/MD knows you are travelling for work, has authorised the trip and to expect a call from the Police/Army. Keep this letter handy on any work travel.

*7* - This lockdown is not about you. So, don’t be selfish, stick to the rules and keep the rest of us safe and healthy. The Government has warned of more stringent methods to control the outbreak, so please stick to the rules and lets get through this without further escaltion of the situation.

*8* - Keep doing your job. Keep your head down, be safe and keep healthy.

For more info on Lockdown: https://sacoronavirus.co.za/2020/03/23/south-african-lockdown-guidelines-information/

For stats: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

For updated press releases or information from the Government: https://sacoronavirus.co.za/

For Lancet Testing venues (Self funded - R1200): http://www.lancet.co.za/corona-virus-info-hub/

For Government Testing, contact 0800029999 to organize.

So, it looks like my company is exempt from the lockdown and I will keep working at the office mostly.

I am going to be getting official docs sorted and signed off at the police station later this afternoon.

I live about 10km away from work and been wondering if I could or should commute with my bike instead of going in with the car?

Irresponsible or perfectly fine?

Thoughts?

If you didn’t have the luxury of a car? Its perfectly fine.

I shall explain your post to my 32 year old cousin with no underlying health issues. She is an ICU nurse in England who has been working tirelessly. I'd post her answer but unfortunately she can't answer due to the tubes stuck down her throat as she fights for her life as she has Covid 19.

Sorry to hear this @red

So, it looks like my company is exempt from the lockdown and I will keep working at the office mostly.

I am going to be getting official docs sorted and signed off at the police station later this afternoon.

I live about 10km away from work and been wondering if I could or should commute with my bike instead of going in with the car?

Irresponsible or perfectly fine?

Thoughts?

I think because you have to go into work and you are in a commutable distance then it should be fine and not irresponsible. There's no need to go full Lycra because that may give off an unnecessary perception to others Edited by Stretch

Flame suit on.

If I want to go ride by myself with no one else within 2m of me it really should be my own choice. And no I wont be doing anything stupid like going and riding the most technical trails around so the risk of me falling are 0.000001%. It would be on sand roads/single tracks so there is an extremely small chance I will get hit by a car. So chances of me needing a hospital bed are probably the same as me losing my mind and slitting my wrists . :ph34r:

Can't believe you actually said & believe this - you are so important that you will decide if rules/laws will apply to you  :thumbup:

Imagine riding on your quiet sand road/single track all by yourself & let's assume you had the virus (unbeknown to you). You are riding along and suddenly need to sneeze but it is ok because you are alone right, now imagine some guy from the local township also just wanted to get out for a walk/run and at this point that you sneeze, just as you pass him.......now he gets the virus & spreads it in the township like a freakin tsunami ..........

But its OK, you managed to get a ride in during lockdown - you win!

#befreakinresponsible

If your biggest concern is whether you should go ride outside albeit against the rules you are in a pretty good position ... Many just wondering if they'll survive (starvation) and if the business they either own or work for will be able to continue operating or even exist after the initial 21 days, if it goes on longer well think for yourself.

'But don't worry I'll go ride outside cause I'll be ok' I guess is what makes some happy

My biggest concern isnt about being able to go ride outside. I have an indoor trainer and I am one of the fortunate people who will be able to continue working through this period.

My bigger concern is to the economy which was why I made point about people below 60 being able to continue keeping the lights on. Unfortunately there are too many corona virus threads going and I decided to make a post under this one. It would probably fit better under the "general discussion'

So yes I am more concerned about those who wont be earning an income during this period, who wont be able to afford food and end up starving, people who wont have jobs to go back to because the companies they working for have either had to seriously down scale or even gone bankrupt.

Where did you receive confirmation from? We and everyone else is still waiting for the DTI's confirmation. Most are going by official company letters, but that doesn't seem too legit.

If you didn’t have the luxury of a car? Its perfectly fine.

I do have the luxury of a car, but have commuted on rare occasions as well.

I am just considering if riding to work on my bike is considered against the spirit of things.

So yes I am more concerned about those who wont be earning an income during this period, who wont be able to afford food and end up starving, people who wont have jobs to go back to because the companies they working for have either had to seriously down scale or even gone bankrupt.

Great, now do your bit to help keep this lockdown at 21 days so that all this sacrifice is not for nothing

If that is your biggest concern and you clearly are privileged enough to own a trainer, why not help these people out with food and essentials once the economy is opened and people get laid off? Better yet why not start now?

Stay home, ride your IDT and contribute to your local community? However I assume that most (Read MOST not ALL) of these people complaining about the impact to the economy are more concerned with their own greed...

But If you truly have family in the health care industry (based on your numbers and lack of concern I highly doubt that) you would realize that every infection vector drastically increases the risk they have to expose themselves too.

Some numbers from Department of Health in KZN (Actual people in the healthcare industry on the front lines)

If we have a 10% population infection in the next 3 months in Maritzburg drainage area:

150000 infected in 90 days
27000 need hospital over 90 days
9000 need icu over 90 days
Thats 100 icu admission per day for 90 days.

Say we have 200 icu beds in total in private / public....and average LOS is 7 days...

Thats 700 people competing for 200 beds a week.

Thats with 10% infection over a 3 month period (spread out evenly)

So JUST STAY THE **** HOME

My biggest concern isnt about being able to go ride outside. I have an indoor trainer and I am one of the fortunate people who will be able to continue working through this period.

My bigger concern is to the economy which was why I made point about people below 60 being able to continue keeping the lights on. Unfortunately there are too many corona virus threads going and I decided to make a post under this one. It would probably fit better under the "general discussion'

if you are really that concerned, jump on your trainer and stay indoors for 21 days.

I am self employed, in the shipping industry and we do 90% minerals and metals exports... see what this says from the port.

Essential containers will be prioritised over non-essential containers. As such we discourage any non-essential containers during this period (for example empty GP containers, mineral containers etc.

April was set to be my best month in 4 years, and now goes to being my worst ever. Rules are rules, nothing we can do about it. I rather have the shutdown happen, and we can slow down the spread of this and slowly return to normal instead of having your attitude of trying to be better than everyone else.

Where did you receive confirmation from? We and everyone else is still waiting for the DTI's confirmation. Most are going by official company letters, but that doesn't seem too legit.

We have received a full company letter with supporting docs that we are do essential services business within the medical field.

I am taking all of this with my ID, etc to the police station in a few minutes to get this certified.

I will only be able to say if this will be sufficient or not later tonight...

Flame suit on.

If I want to go ride by myself with no one else within 2m of me it really should be my own choice. And no I wont be doing anything stupid like going and riding the most technical trails around so the risk of me falling are 0.000001%. It would be on sand roads/single tracks so there is an extremely small chance I will get hit by a car. So chances of me needing a hospital bed are probably the same as me losing my mind and slitting my wrists after 3 weeks.... (joke ppl).... just in case

This is all blown out of proportion. The numbers are completely skewed because not every one with a snotty nose is being tested. We cannot realistically know that the death rate is as high as stipulated without checking everybody getting a test done.

Yes there is a risk but it is to the elderly. Lock down the ppl who are 60+ and let the rest of us get on with it. The majority of people getting critically sick and dying are people over 60. We can all take the old folks their shopping and whatever they need and leave it on their doorsteps, ring the bell and walk away. This should also not overwhelm the health services because the majority of younger people getting sick will either be asymptomatic or have a mild infection.

That way we still have a workforce in place to keep the economy ticking over as well as allowing the virus to spread which would help in building up herd immunity.

This thing isnt going to go away because we all locked down for 21 days. Whats the plan after 21 days? We going to lock out the rest of the world that still has COVID-19? If there is no vaccine and no immunity this is just going to keep coming back.

Fire away people.... :ph34r:

Sho, some people are dumb.

Let's break this down to what is possible if people work together.

1. Virus has incubation period.
  2. Virus runs its course.
  3. If not transferred to another person, virus is killed by human immune system.
  4. No more virus.

If everyone stayed home and ensured that no one received the virus from someone else and thus reset the incubation period.

The pandemic could die out for long enough for medical facilities to deal with the cases and researchers to develop a vaccine.

But no, lets go and play outside...

Let me give you some personal context, you won't care, but I do: My daughter was born with congenital heart disease, this means that she currently has an unrepaired heart defect which compromises her immune system by only letting her O2 stats run at below 80, instead of the 95+ you run at. She is also susceptible to respiratory infections to the extent that Medical Aid will pay R30k/month during RSV season for a 30 day vaccine to prevent the chest infection. Once repaired (when she is big enough for open heart bypass surgery) she has the potential for a long and full life.

But no, leaving your property for non-essential recreational activities is more important than the health of all of us, particularly our mothers, fathers and children with compromised immune systems.

Edited by Nakoota