Lockdown lessons

hansolo

traditional ginger beer might be worth a shot? and don't forget the raisins. we don't really have good cider apples around here.

Batch number two. Four Fat Bastards and some change.

Cheers!

It's very simple:
10 apples
4 liters water
3 cups of sugar
2 lemons
± 7 grams Anchor dry yeast (thumbsuck it, but a full 10g pack is definitely not required.)

Bring the chopped up apples and lemon to boil with the water and sugar, stirring occasionally, then turn it off and allow to cool completely

Add the yeast

Leave it to brew in the pot, with the lid on, for about 3 days. (I used a ±20 liter stainless steel pot.)

Sieve contents into a 5 liter container and keep it in a dark place (cupboard) for 3 to 4 days. (It bubbles, so make sure it can still let the CO2 escape without blowing your container and wreaking havoc. So loosely tightened cap.)

I found that after 6 days in total, it was still slightly sweet. The next day it starts to taste dry, and that's about 8 - 9% alcohol by volume. (By my well experienced, subjective, reckoning.)

At this point you can fridge it and stop the fermentation process. I haven't gone further than that. But if I had proper stoppered bottles, I would. Apparently you can add a bit more sugar, then cap it firmly and leave it for a few weeks. But as I don't have those, nor muslin cloth for straining, I'm quite happy with a flat and cloudy cider.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers!

It's very simple:

10 apples

4 liters water

3 cups of sugar

2 lemons

± 7 grams Anchor dry yeast (thumbsuck it, but a full 10g pack is definitely not required.)

Bring the chopped up apples and lemon to boil with the water and sugar, stirring occasionally, then turn it off and allow to cool completely

Add the yeast

Leave it to brew in the pot, with the lid on, for about 3 days. (I used a ±20 liter stainless steel pot.)

Sieve contents into a 5 liter container and keep it in a dark place (cupboard) for 3 to 4 days. (It bubbles, so make sure it can still let the CO2 escape without blowing your container and wreaking havoc. So loosely tightened cap.)

I found that after 6 days in total, it was still slightly sweet. The next day it starts to taste dry, and that's about 8 - 9% alcohol by volume. (By my well experienced, subjective, reckoning.)

At this point you can fridge it and stop the fermentation process. I haven't gone further than that. But if I had proper stoppered bottles, I would. Apparently you can add a bit more sugar, then cap it firmly and leave it for a few weeks. But as I don't have those, nor muslin cloth for straining, I'm quite happy with a flat and cloudy cider.

Calvados... Normandy style...  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

traditional ginger beer might be worth a shot? and don't forget the raisins. we don't really have good cider apples around here.

The used to do a really nice (and hot!) old fashioned Ginger Beer at the restaurant in the Botanical Gardens out on the west rand.

Cheers!

It's very simple:

10 apples

4 liters water

3 cups of sugar

2 lemons

Add the yeast

Does this keep you regular as well?

Cheers!

It's very simple:

10 apples

4 liters water

3 cups of sugar

2 lemons

Add the yeast

Does this keep you regular as well?

If you were looking to easily clear it up and add some carbonation...add gelatine (from the supermarket) to clear it up, and a shot or two of CO2 in a sodastream machine. Just be cautious during the latter...

Cheers!

It's very simple:

10 apples

4 liters water

3 cups of sugar

2 lemons

Add the yeast

Cheers!

It's very simple:

10 apples

4 liters water

3 cups of sugar

2 lemons

Add the yeast

Sorry all you Moonshine folks.

Firstly, no hot chickens.

Now it's cold turkey.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2020-04-21-say-cheerio-to-home-brewed-beer-as-manufacturer-cuts-yeast-supply/

Sorry all you Moonshine folks.

Firstly, no hot chickens.

Now it's cold turkey.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2020-04-21-say-cheerio-to-home-brewed-beer-as-manufacturer-cuts-yeast-supply/

You don't need brewers yeast. Any yeast will do. Especially if people are so desperate to get lickered up that they attempt to make their own beer.

I'm so glad I'm not a slave to that ****. Are people seriously THAT desperate? If so I have a home beer brewing vessel for sale for R25000. Good for 20 liters of home brewed swill at a time.

I wonder if people are googling how to make home made cigarettes from common garden plants?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

You don't need brewers yeast. Any yeast will do. Especially if people are so desperate to get lickered up that they attempt to make their own beer.

I'm so glad I'm not a slave to that ****. Are people seriously THAT desperate? If so I have a home beer brewing vessel for sale for R25000. Good for 20 liters of home brewed swill at a time.

I wonder if people are googling how to make home made cigarettes from common garden plants?

Dont be silly,we all know how to do that

not sure what lesson I learnt today .... maybe the collective wisdom on the Hub can help me understand the following scene .....

Coming out of the shop, and putting the groceries in my car I notice a gent that had just done the same.  He handed over the trolley to the guard, and proceeded to take of his gloves .... then holding the cuff side of the gloves he "knocked off" all the dust from the gloves - by knocking the gloves onto his other hand !

He'll have to wash his hands of those gloves...

not sure what lesson I learnt today .... maybe the collective wisdom on the Hub can help me understand the following scene .....

Coming out of the shop, and putting the groceries in my car I notice a gent that had just done the same. He handed over the trolley to the guard, and proceeded to take of his gloves .... then holding the cuff side of the gloves he "knocked off" all the dust from the gloves - by knocking the gloves onto his other hand !

Isn’t making home made booze and posting it here, the same as going out and posting your ride on Strava ????

Edited by Patchelicious