Are bicycle shops open?

Shaik

Singletrack seem to have acquired the necessary paperwork, as per their fb post.

c24f57d1c5e51eac0f7be77d2db6627b.jpg

Any clown can apply through cipc for the documentation.

There's a 32 page pdf document that one has to comply with in order to be legal. If anyone contracts Covid 19 and they have reason to believe that it might be due to contact via that store they will have legal recourse against the store that was non-compliant. These legal fees will certainly cripple the shop

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously wonder if winter CYCLING clothing qualifies as winter clothing?

IMHO nope, I think this was put in place for those folk who need clothing to get through winter and not for those early morning, winter bike rides - the words elitist and privileged come to mind....

Just saying....

I seriously wonder if winter CYCLING clothing qualifies as winter clothing?

IMHO nope, I think this was put in place for those folk who need clothing to get through winter and not for those early morning, winter bike rides - the words elitist and privileged come to mind....

Just saying....

And those people that commute to work ?

certainly, the vast majority of current sales will be for the "sports" group .... BUT, right now it is a VERY fine balance between maintaining a low infection rate WHILE stimulating the economy ....

All the more reason to get e-commerce going at full speed ...

my current winter clothing is doing perfectly fine, despite being 2 to 3 years old .... and DRENCHED after this mornings ride.

Went to my local Spaz shop yesterday, they have been open for repairs only for a long time and recently they are now allowed to sell bikes as well, only 3 customers at a time allowed in the shop....managed to book a Tarmac for a test ride next weekend (pending on weather).

When I left, their was a short queue forming outside

I guess winter commute does possibly qualify as essential, BUT, I would not like to be a bike shop opening purely for commuters requiring winter clothing.  I think you might not get too many "legal" customers...The likelihood of capitalising on other non-essential categories to earn some income is high.

I'm fortunate in that I have 2 bikes, both of which are very well maintained by me (can't afford to send to shop for attention every time its needed plus I enjoy the technical side of bikes)...however if they were both "down" due to a technical problem I would begrudgingly but happily park them and walk or run instead, until bike shops can legitimately open and trade...

Sorry to sound like a party pooper - We also have a retail shop, albeit in a different industry, one that is only likely to return at level 1......

When I hear stories about people in our industry going "backyard" and under the radar from home my blood goes cold....I hope you get caught...but even more so, I hope you do NOT infect anyone, especially someone who is vulnerable or who in turn might infect someone who is vulnerable....People need to think this situation through very carefully...

Edited by love2fly

Went to my local Spaz shop yesterday, they have been open for repairs only for a long time and recently they are now allowed to sell bikes as well, only 3 customers at a time allowed in the shop....managed to book a Tarmac for a test ride next weekend (pending on weather).

When I left, their was a short queue forming outside

Another overseas perspective from Australia. We have been allowed to exercise all along, although not in  groups.

The bike shops here have been doing a roaring trade for the last month. One Giant shop was reporting turnovers about 4 x normal - mainly families buying cheap runarounds to ride round the suburbs.

We also tried to get a dropper fitted to my youngsters bike. Phoning around the LBS's, the wait time for service and maintenance slots was between a week to 3 weeks. Again, families with bikes that have years of dust on them, taking them out and getting them going. The LBS's were even taking on extra staff to cope. So one small bright spark in the otherwise severely damaged economy.

I saw a discussion thread on Facebook that my hairdresser was involved in. The big issue that might get these shops (if they don't get caught by some other means), is that if one of their clients test positive for COVID, they'll need to provide a detailed list of all their movements and contacts, and don't for one second think they won't throw the shop under the bus. I need to have surgery on Friday, and go for a COVID test on Wednesday and I need to fill in as accurately as possible everywhere I've been and any direct contact I've had with people the last 2 weeks. Luckily my list is very short, but I think some people might run out of pages.

It is not difficult to buck the system and get away with it.  The authorities have not been able to control a couple of thousand Zama Zamas in mapped warrens or the eToll dodgers with their full registration details.  So how do you control a couple of shops/cyclists now especially when your law enforcement assets are stretched to the limit?  Lockdown and social distancing success relies on buy in from society and not authority.  If you ride more than 5km from home or buy parts/service that are not specified at this level that is your choice.  You can justify it however you want and the chances of you getting nabbed are about nil. Whatever you do try not to bring any more negative publicity onto the sport and keep safe.

I guess winter commute does possibly qualify as essential, BUT, I would not like to be a bike shop opening purely for commuters requiring winter clothing.  I think you might not get too many "legal" customers...The likelihood of capitalising on other non-essential categories to earn some income is high.

I'm fortunate in that I have 2 bikes, both of which are very well maintained by me (can't afford to send to shop for attention every time its needed plus I enjoy the technical side of bikes)...however if they were both "down" due to a technical problem I would begrudgingly but happily park them and walk or run instead, until bike shops can legitimately open and trade...

Sorry to sound like a party pooper - We also have a retail shop, albeit in a different industry, one that is only likely to return at level 1......

When I hear stories about people in our industry going "backyard" and under the radar from home my blood goes cold....I hope you get caught...but even more so, I hope you do NOT infect anyone, especially someone who is vulnerable or who in turn might infect someone who is vulnerable....People need to think this situation through very carefully...

Our business has an interestingly different exposure to this mess ....

A part of our projects now do have the required documents, and we can legally go to these sites, etc ...

For the majority of our projects we are still supposed to work from home .... I am trying to work from home for ALL my projects, especially as "site meetings" are supposed to NOT be face-to-face at this time .... Only time I need to actually visit a site is to do progress inspections for claims, and this can be done solo, or one-on-one.  Short of a few large prints I am fully set up at home.

Most of our projects will be up and running by Level 3.

And yes, we actually do have a few projects that are not "commercial", but "residensial" (though some of these mega residential projects far exceed some small commercial projects in monetary value...).  These residential projects may (currently) only proceed at Level 2 ...

Very staggered start ....

PS - SOME bike shops were registered as "hardware" stores, others opted for different categories .... Hardware store are allowed to trade from Level 4.  Now what they are allowed to do and\or sell is a very interesting topic .... and I am SURE there will be complaints and inspections .... going to be interesting to see this one play out ....

Many many years ago when I was a kid, yes when people still walked to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways, I recall clearly a friend of my parents saying that 'she would sell her body rather than see her kids starve' - don't underestimate the desperation in many people's minds!

Solomons Cycles put a notice out on Facebook, saying they will comply with the lockdown and only re-open once on level 3.  

Solomons Cycles put a notice out on Facebook, saying they will comply with the lockdown and only re-open once on level 3.

So we're they open yesterday and today and got some heat?

So we're they open yesterday and today and got some heat?

Not sure what you mean? I saw it yesterday. I dont think they have been open, someone perhaps may know better. I think they have probably had quite a few inquiries if open, so is why they put out the notification.

Are you implying something different?

I had to buy a battery at a motor spares shop and had to fill in a form and the understanding was I broke down in the parking lot - the spares guy kindly fitted it for me...I can't see buying brake pads for my mtb as being an emergency as I am not a bike messenger...

My car battery packed up a few weeks back. Could only buy the battery, as they weren’t allowed to fit it (not thy it was hard to fit). It was o lay allowed provided I could show my permit.

Not sure what you mean? I saw it yesterday. I dont think they have been open, someone perhaps may know better. I think they have probably had quite a few inquiries if open, so is why they put out the notification.

Are you implying something different?

No I'm asking if they were open under whatever permit they got, sold stuff they weren't supposed to, someone tipped someone off and they were asked (or told) to close