Online shop recommendations SA

RomP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Online bike parts shopping during COVID is only for the brave IMO. Been waiting myself for 2months+ for a delivery (which feels like 6)

Seems the issue with some of the ‘bigger’ online shops is that they dont always seem to carry lots of stock and instead advertise products on their site the moment they order their batches from a supplier so you end up waiting for shipping from the supplier to the shop AND from the shop to your front door- with the bike shop is sitting on your money. Great model for them (working capital) - crap model for the consumer.

My next online purchase will be preceeded with a phone call to the shop to confirm stock levels before placing an order. If they are not reachable or willing to to confirm, thats an answer in itself.

What I have found more workable during these times though is to phone around to physical shops - some shops do still carry stock and it seems what you are looking for isnt exactly hens teeth. Perhaps if the shop you phone is close enough to you to drive there, alternatively they can courier the goods.

I see you mention Jhb/Pta - For my snap crackle pop problem (Chain) I found Cajees Centurion carried some stock- have you tried them?

In a bind (no punn intended)....sportmans warehouse usually has one or two 10/11/12 speed kmc chains and always seem to have quicklinks. Ive bought 11spd ones there before.

Thanks all,  Eventually came right, bike now built.

One thing that i did learn from this was to support the smaller shops..These huge brand named shops are on the same level as Makro and other similar retailer regarding customer service and staff attitude. Sorry for generalizing, that was my experience in dealing with shops the last few weeks.

Thanks all for advice and recommendations.

• 2 months later...

Evobikes - post two - not a nice bunch 2) my bud had real issues with them not wanting to exchange something he sent back to them after seven days at his expense. Avoid like the plague and for the 2 choir boys who’s posting - do you work at the Evobikes online store Or are you in marketing and trying to cover up the facts - tough the fact are Evobike service and policy’s are terrible and I would not buy a bolt from them. That’s my opinion- don’t get rude because it goes against your opinion this is a advise hub not a dictator hub.

I think the internets will decide this one

Evobikes - post two - not a nice bunch 2) my bud had real issues with them not wanting to exchange something he sent back to them after seven days at his expense. Avoid like the plague and for the 2 choir boys who’s posting - do you work at the Evobikes online store Or are you in marketing and trying to cover up the facts - tough the fact are Evobike service and policy’s are terrible and I would not buy a bolt from them. That’s my opinion- don’t get rude because it goes against your opinion this is a advise hub not a dictator hub.

But you're getting rude because their experiences go against your opinion?

Kay

But you're getting rude because their experiences go against your opinion?

Kay

My thoughts exactly, dictating that we all must avoid like the plague because he had a bad experience.

I do not work for EVO, I live in JHB, granted only ordered from them 2 times, but both times I had good experiences, wont hesitate to use them again

My thoughts exactly, dictating that we all must avoid like the plague because he had a bad experience.

I do not work for EVO, I live in JHB, granted only ordered from them 2 times, but both times I had good experiences, wont hesitate to use them again

I've used them more than twice (although my wife might think it was only the two times) and never had any issues.

Been supporting Evobikes since 2016.

Only had GOOD service from them.

Uhm .... sorry, correction .... in 2017 I drove there to pick up something ... turns out they dont stock everything in store ... like CWC-online, and BikeAddict.

So if I need something I call to check stock levels ... though mostly I pop in after a trail ride, window shop and see stuff I did not know I really need ...

And when I wanted to order a cover for my old Garmin computer they helped me out ....

no reason to get nasty .... they are one of the best online shops .... at least that is my personal experience.

Realistically though ... can any one store get it right every single time ? At least I have found them very approachable.

In fact, I value someone’s fair commet and think it’s worthy to note their experience whether good or bad - there after it’s your decision, who you order from. The one Huber expressed there hands on experience and gets lambasted for it! I am now even more convinced that this post lacks authenticity.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two updates on 2 different stores.

Funnily enough both stores used Courier guy delivery and i received both items at same time  - way convenient!

Evo bike (already posted on the Evo thread) but they sourced me a part nobody in SA had, i called them up and they said they can arrange, paid them after 5pm on tuesday and i received the goods friday 8.30am (today)

Then Bike Mob even done one better, i purchased online at 1.40pm yesterday 1 Oct 2020, item in my hand at 8.30am 2 Oct 2020 (today)

Plus is that all 5 items i got was the best priced!

lot of this going round lately - "my opinion is the universal standard, and if you disagree you are a troll" combined with "the shop didn't offer to wipe my 8ss, so they have the worst service ever in the world". 

I actually think this may well be a symptom of how C19 has made people more selfish, self entitled and "its all about me" which in some sense is understandable when confronted with a global plague that has threatened to kill us all.

I also think this has caused people to lose perspective of the relative importance of things, with small insignificant issues being made into complete mountains.  Buy hey, that's just my opinion, and if you disagree I promise to suppress the anxiety and pain without lashing out

Having built a bike from scratch and needing every part on it in the last 2 months, I have the following experience with the online shops and walk in shops:

No1 online shop is always Bikehub classifieds. However this provided all the highs and all the lows one can possibly imagine including a scammer or 2 which thankfully the admins sent me warning about and I cut the cord.

2. EvoBikes - no hassle and quick delivery. Prices was OK to good/competitive. 

3. CWC - no hassle and quick delivery. Had great discounts on some items I needed.

4. CycleLab - walk in service was great and even source an out of stock item from another branch - pricing was really good on some items (Vittoria tyres and look pedals) but some prices made me leave certain items (saddles are very pricey). Store was Boksburg.

5. Trail Tech Cycles - no hassle and delivery was quick - Prices was good but after the order was placed I never got any feedback or update on shipping until it got to my door. otherwise the online shop is lacking some items and I found it tricky to fill my basket with items I needed to qualify for free shipping.

I am yet to try Summit Bikes and some others as I still have a shopping list... the following shops need to check their service levels as I tried purchasing items from them and either got no reply or late replies more than a week later simply stating no stock.

Hotspot Cycles

Bikemob

Bike Addict

not sure I would try buying there again.