Trek releases all-new aerodynamic Émonda

News bot

Trek launched an all-new Émonda road bike today. The latest Émonda is focussed on aerodynamic efficiency while improving on the lightweight climbing ambitions of the previous Émonda models. In fact, Trek claim a rider holding a constant 350 watts will be 15 seconds faster up the iconic Alpe d'Huez over the previous Émonda.

There will be two Émonda frame specification levels, the SLR and SL. Both frames are identically shaped, meaning there is no difference in aerodynamics efficiency and geometry. The range topping SLR frame uses Trek's new 800 Series OCLV Carbon with a frame weight dipping under 700 grams. The more affordable SL frame is constructed from 500 Series OCLV Carbon with a claimed frame weight of 1142 grams but offers all the same aerodynamic and handling gains.

Accompanying the launch of the latest Émonda are new Aeolus aerodynamic wheels and Aeolus RSL bar/stem combo that cleans up the cockpit.

In South Africa, we'll have access to the Émonda SLR frame through the Project One customisation programme. On the shop floor you'll find the Émonda SL7 and SL6 Pro models.

Read the press release below for all the details on the all-new Émonda.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, Trek claim a rider holding a constant 350 watts will be 15 seconds faster up the iconic Alpe d'Huez over the previous Émonda.

:rolleyes:  :D Which means that for the rest of us average sods, the "aerodynamic advantage" will be so minuscule it will effectively be immeasurable.

:rolleyes:  :D Which means that for the rest of us average sods, the "aerodynamic advantage" will be so minuscule it will effectively be immeasurable.

Read the article on the wheels. It used the phrase "free speed"...

And just like that, the Émonda SL 6 Pro I bought a month ago is outdated.
The new version is R30k more and 1/2kg heavier, so that makes me feel a bit better...

(It seems that mine is the last of the rim brake bikes)

The new version is R30k more and 1/2kg heavier, so that makes me feel a bit better...

Same thing happened with me when i bought my Domane SLR.Six weeks later the new bike came out but i preferred the my colour and the old seat mast.

I know it is said that "time is money" but R30k for 15 seconds is very pricey - and the bikes are a bit heavy - I will stick with my Old 2011 Madone at 8.7kg.

I know it is said that "time is money" but R30k for 15 seconds is very pricey - and the bikes are a bit heavy - I will stick with my Old 2011 Madone at 8.7kg.

Interesting. Its 8.03kg claimed for the current SL6 Pro with discs. My 2019 SL6 Disc is 8.1kg. Not a huge difference really. But I see the non-disc version of the SL6 is 7.3kg. So discs add about 800g of weight. A fair bit. But I do like the disc brakes, especially in the wet.

The new one is also uglier in my opinion. 

Without disks, I recon it would gan more than 15s faster, btw.

maybe, but in the tour on a descent those seconds would more than be made up by the better braking and aero benefits.

i think it's a great all rounder. best of all worlds

Its always interesting to me to see the popularity of brands in different countries.

I work with people from all over the world and have noticed that all of my Aussie colleagues ride Trek, the brand is very popular over there.

You definitely dont see the same thing in SA, this is Giant and Spez country for sure.

I wouldn't go that far.

You are right. I am very happy with my 2019 bike. It's not outdated and certainly not obsolete.

But the release of a new model does suddenly age the current models.

New model does look sleek though!