Trek releases all-new aerodynamic Émonda

News bot

maybe, but in the tour on a descent those seconds would more than be made up by the better braking and aero benefits.

i think it's a great all rounder. best of all worlds

It's interesting how the models have evolved to match the market.

The Emonda started out as a lightweight climbers bike and evolved into a mixed terrain bike.

The Domane was the do everything bike now it is an endurance light gravel style bike.

Madone. Mmmm sex on wheels. Sprinter aero bikes didn't exist 5 or 6 years ago.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always interesting to me to see the popularity of brands in different countries.

I work with people from all over the world and have noticed that all of my Aussie colleagues ride Trek, the brand is very popular over there.

You definitely dont see the same thing in SA, this is Giant and Spez country for sure.

The brand went through a number of distributors over the last decade in SA. I think this inconsistency has something to do with their current market share.

Trek took over directly a few years ago and, from my perspective at least, they have steadied the ship and are looking to grow.

I wouldn't go that far.

Agree.  The power of marketing....

I still race my 2004 Giant TCR (custom build with heavier Campag) fairly successfully on the flatter races.   If I upgrade that "non-areo" bike with a more recent (read circa 2012) Chorus gruppo and a lekker set of wheels, I will get close to my current (again 2012) racing bike (6.8kg).

To be fair to Trek brand they did excel at the TdF during the years when there were no official winner. 

But with no winner,.... Did the tour actually happen or did they just play a 7 part Nollywood movie series?

maybe, but in the tour on a descent those seconds would more than be made up by the better braking and aero benefits.

But that is not what Trek is claiming. They are marketing a 15s gain up Alpe d'Huez . My point is that going up Alp d'Huez, lower weight of a non-disk gruppo will be more than 15s faster.

But that is not what Trek is claiming. They are marketing a 15s gain up Alpe d'Huez . My point is that going up Alp d'Huez, lower weight of a non-disk gruppo will be more than 15s faster.

In their testing, weight is pretty much a constant. It's the UCI limit. Sure, the lower priced models would benefit from weight savings.

Trek mentioned in the press call that they were not doing a rim brake version because they simply were not selling enough rim brake bikes to justify building them.

In their testing, weight is pretty much a constant. It's the UCI limit. Sure, the lower priced models would benefit from weight savings.

Trek mentioned in the press call that they were not doing a rim brake version because they simply were not selling enough rim brake bikes to justify building them.

Thats a relief.

Now I can't be tempted to get one! Rim brakes or bust!

# RIMBRAKESMATTER

Edited by DieselnDust

From 2021, we are going to see more and more brands following suite. It’s a matter of time before all the big brands do not offer a rim brake bike, just like 26” disappeared; rim brakes will be next.

Ligther isnt always faster, testing we have done with a heavier overall bike has been faster in some cases on the climbs due to aero dynamics. Same with tyres and tubes, the lighter the tube and tyre combo doesn't always result in a better rolling resistance. 

Ineos Pinarellos are all over 7kg race weight

They still ride tubbies

From 2021, we are going to see more and more brands following suite. It’s a matter of time before all the big brands do not offer a rim brake bike, just like 26” disappeared; rim brakes will be next.

Rim brakes may be the future but to get a light disc brake bike requires a 2nd morgage on the house!

To get under 8kg you are going to spend +R100 000-00 for an Ultegra specced bike.

In a few years maybe they'll cure the brake rub, rapid pad wear, brake squeal and flexy wheels. 

till then

#RIMBRAKESMATTER