Help with jumping

I agree with Philip.

Learn with flats. Also take Pieter1 up on his offer. I found doing runs of Blackhill alone is a bit meh, but broduroing with a mate makes it really fun and less of a learning experience and more of a laugh.

I'm still looking for all the pedals I've lost while in the air on flats. I have some 661 shin pads because I'm old and my shins are already wrecked. I don't need more scars on my scars on my scars... they don't heal.

Is there a 'jump line' in joburg?

It makes a difference being able to do lots and lots and lots of runs

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Philip.

Learn with flats. Also take Pieter1 up on his offer. I found doing runs of Blackhill alone is a bit meh, but broduroing with a mate makes it really fun and less of a learning experience and more of a laugh.

I'm still looking for all the pedals I've lost while in the air on flats. I have some 661 shin pads because I'm old and my shins are already wrecked. I don't need more scars on my scars on my scars... they don't heal.

parallel beginner jump lines in Delta park, slightly bigger stuff further up the spruit...

The big difference between a guy who can jump and do other stuff good (read that in a zoolander voice) and a good coach is the coach's ability to verbalize the movements and actions that become instinctive and muscle memory to a good jumper.

I learned to jump using MBUK magazine How to sections and paying the price in roasties. Nowadays youtube makes that much more accessible.

What I can tell you is that if you can do a good front wheel first bunny hop without being clipped in, then you are a good way down the road to jumping well. And definitely learn to jump with flat pedals and shoes. And knee pads if you can, you may not need them, but they provide a lot of confidence.

Edit: good luck and enjoy the process.

Good advice!

Jumping properly starts with knowing the bunny hop technique.

Note I said properly, not "jumping starts with bunny hops" because plenty (probably most) people can get away with bad jumping technique by virtue of the fact that their bike is forgiving or the jump itself is built safe. 

I would highly recommended getting in touch with a qualified coach who can actually ride a bike well (instead of just slightly better than beginners - not naming names!) 

The reason I say this is simple: practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect, and only a coach, or someone who knows how to execute the correct technique (and how to communicate this) will be able to watch you do a jump, asses your technique and give you helpful advice/tips.

Think of that meme: "how I think I look v how I actually look" - filming yourself can help, but unless someone can spot, asses, and tell you exactly where and why you are going wrong it won't be as productive in getting you jumping properly! 

My 2cents... 

I can’t jump. Also watching tube tutorials. I had some lessons with Peach for bunny hoping and the manual etc. Stil not 100% with either but it was money well spent and if I had the cash I would do more lessons with him. He really conveys the msg well.

So if you are keen we can do the delta top jumps together and check each others techniques or whatever.

I doubt this is near to you, but maybe an outing once a month if possible

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I agree with Philip.

I don't know about Joburg, but if the OP is willing to travel out to Pta then Wolwespruit has a very nice jump line that starts of quite small and offers room for progression. Would be well worth the trip.

I don't know about Joburg, but if the OP is willing to travel out to Pta then Wolwespruit has a very nice jump line that starts of quite small and offers room for progression. Would be well worth the trip.

Also check out Grootfontein Bike Park in PTA. 

Looks like a proper training ground if you want to up your skills

Wolwespruit is the biggest reason I want to learn to jump properly, I went there on Sunday and it was such a fat jol going down that flow line....

I ride flats, I personally wouldn't dare riding a mtb clipped in, a road bike with cleats is scary enough thanks.

I can bunny hop, the proper way, front wheel first, but translating that to a jump is where I need help, the jumps that I can do/have done, are all table tops, what I have found and can feel, is that use speed to clear jumps, staying relatively low, but getting the distance, because I "squash" the bike into face, without popping up.

I have done MX and Enduro on dirtbikes, but, to me at least, jumping a dirt bike and a MTB are VERY different beasts.

Pieter1, send me a DM and we can make plans, I dont ride everyday or even every other day, but we can still maybe do some riding together

I am no expert and only now starting to up my skills a bit but from what I have seen bunny hopping isnt the correct technique for jumping.

Check out Rich Drew on Youtube.

How to Jump & 7 common jumping mistakes

Explains it much better than what I can

I am no expert and only now starting to up my skills a bit but from what I have seen bunny hopping isnt the correct technique for jumping.

Will have a look at his videos, thanks

I ride flats, I personally wouldn't dare riding a mtb clipped in, a road bike with cleats is scary enough thanks.

I can bunny hop, the proper way, front wheel first, but translating that to a jump is where I need help, the jumps that I can do/have done, are all table tops, what I have found and can feel, is that use speed to clear jumps, staying relatively low, but getting the distance, because I "squash" the bike into face, without popping up.

I er

You're more than halfway there.

Now slow down and remember to think "boost" when approaching the lip. Because your speed is less you will need to do something else to clear it. This is where preload, push down on jump through the lip, and suck up the bike after leaving the lip, is needed. The nosedip into the landing will come by itself.

And this may sound stupid, but do some visualization exercises where you imagine yourself clearing it at a slower speed. You'll be surprised d how your body puts a-b-c in line by itself afterwards.

His lessons make the most sense to me, and also Kyle and April. He has a very good way of teaching someone to do a technical skill without being over the top technical about it. I have learnt plenty from both Rich Drew (jumping, drop-offs) and Kyle and April (drop-offs, manual, bunny hop) - disclaimer: Manual and bunny hops are waaay harder than they seem, and I am not even close yet, but much better than I was before I started applying their lessons.

I can’t jump. Also watching tube tutorials. I had some lessons with Peach for bunny hoping and the manual etc. Stil not 100% with either but it was money well spent and if I had the cash I would do more lessons with him. He really conveys the msg well.

So if you are keen we can do the delta top jumps together and check each others techniques or whatever.

Might be keen to join you guys for this. My technique and confidence went away in the late 90s after some bad crashed and I really want to get back into it.

His lessons make the most sense to me, and also Kyle and April. He has a very good way of teaching someone to do a technical skill without being over the top technical about it. I have learnt plenty from both Rich Drew (jumping, drop-offs) and Kyle and April (drop-offs, manual, bunny hop) - disclaimer: Manual and bunny hops are waaay harder than they seem, and I am not even close yet, but much better than I was before I started applying their lessons.

I dont like Kyle and April, she gets it right waaaay to quickly  :clap:

Might be keen to join you guys for this. My technique and confidence went away in the late 90s after some bad crashed and I really want to get back into it.

Would actually be really cool if you joined, even though you "lost" it, you would still have a better understanding of what, where and how to do things...

I was jumping at Black Hill recently doing ok-ish and clearing the things I was trying.  Then Chris Nixon gave me some pointers to make me better.  From then on every jump got progressively worse until I wasn't even getting the set up jumps right  :lol: 

I got too much in my own head.  Flow, be smooth, keep practising.  It'll all come with time.