Garmin Down For Maintenance

Kom

Im wondering why everything hasnt been restored from backup yet.

Did their SAN's get infected too? Most have a hardened Linux based kernel so its unlikely to be the case.

Were they not backing up all of the core systems? 

Or is it the age old "we have backups" until you try restore from them and find they dont actually work.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad drives a 1988 Land Rover Defender V8, and every time someone in a new, efficient diesel gives him the same schpiel he always replies with "The Landy only cost R60k. I can buy a shitload of fuel with the R400k change I have from not buying a Fortuner".

How do you see through the tears when you are driving??!?

The thought of fuel costs makes my eyes water and I dont even own it.

They are down for a multi day maintenance window to deal with a ransom ware attack.

You will be able to sync again in a few days.

Your neighbour must have noisy dogs to be up and on bikehub at such an ungodly hour

Im wondering why everything hasnt been restored from backup yet.

Did their SAN's get infected too? Most have a hardened Linux based kernel so its unlikely to be the case.

Were they not backing up all of the core systems? 

Or is it the age old "we have backups" until you try restore from them and find they dont actually work.

I'll give you an example of my company's dilemma when it happened.

The servers that the data was on were shutdown, immediately - that means we were unable to operate from that minute going forward. These were then formatted after the restore process on other servers were completed, and restored a few weeks later.

In the time between the existing servers being shutown and "repaired", software had to be loaded on other servers, eg. ERP system, Exchange server, and all the other 3rd party apps that were used (74 different apps). Once that was done, they had to test the integration between multiple servers and the apps we use, using a small amount of data. Once the testing was done, the backups could be restored - I don't know all the ins-n-outs, but I heard enough to understand the basics.

I'm not sure how Garmin would work, but I'm sure they would have a similar dilemma... have to reload everything from scratch.

edit: grammar

Edited by Frosty

Is Garmin being down the same as when Instagram goes down? People lose their minds?

Not trying to be a dick but what is the draw to these devices? LIke someone said they look down so often. Doesn't that take away from the ride?

For the kom junkies maybe, but the concern is with what actually happened, we don’t know so we not sure if it’s a hack, ransom ware or a catastrophic data breach, there is a large amount of highly sensitive information on those servers.

As for draw, well one would be quality of data, a smartphone gps is designed for driving, not sport, it’s far less precise and more prone to error.

Add in things like heart rate which is great for training, the smart features you get with it as a daily driver, the health metrics you get as a daily driver.

Safety features, I go out for a ride and my safety contacts can live track me, and again it’s not nearly as inaccurate as a phone. I think that would be the biggest impact to users now, safety features require their systems to be up and running.

I’ve been without mine for a week, broken, and the biggest frustration is that I don’t get my notifications, my phones been on silent for 5 years, my watch has been my notifier for that time, it’s far less intrusive than the audio of the phone and very easy at a glance to see if I need to care about it.

My dad drives a 1988 Land Rover Defender V8, and every time someone in a new, efficient diesel gives him the same schpiel he always replies with "The Landy only cost R60k. I can buy a shitload of fuel with the R400k change I have from not buying a Fortuner".

What about the repair costs? asking for a friend  :whistling:

Is Garmin being down the same as when Instagram goes down? People lose their minds? 

Not trying to be a dick but what is the draw to these devices? LIke someone said they look down so often. Doesn't that take away from the ride?

Surely everybody will have a different answer to that question.  AND, as time pass each persons answer will differ ....

During a ride (while moving) I actually seldom look at the screen.

In the beginning I spent a lot of time monitoring HR vs cadence, during the ride.  Once the muscle memory was sorted I hardly ever check it, unless I have an off day in the saddle ....

Rides are automatically loaded, and I typically glance at the distance/time/speed/HR/elevation stats.  After hard rides I spend more time checking the data ....

My primary use of this data ....

- checking total distance over months and per year

- comparing pre and post winter ride stats

- comparing year on year stats to monitor my progress

I got a Garmin 130 for Maritz's bike purely to take the guessing out of his distances ...  He has done as much as 8km in a single day on the pump track at Bloemendal plus the laps of the trails we did.  FIRST thing I taught him with the Garmin - DONT look at the screen while riding.

so back to your question - YES, when outside I want to see the trails and nature, not another screen .... after all, getting on the bike is to get away from the dual monitor setup !!

How do you see through the tears when you are driving??!?

The thought of fuel costs makes my eyes water and I dont even own it.

I started commuting to work. Bought a battery charger as the battery was always flat.

Get about 15L/100km but I filled up 23Dec then 03 March and last time was 28 June so I don't use much fuel, sort of.

Don't forget the impact on aviation.

*OK I see now it was already mentioned.

Edited by Pieter-za

I also have a pre-BMW V8 Defender. Also cost not much, also drinks a lot.

But it has a simple motor without any electronics beyond a distributor and I can fix it....

Way less than R400k

My 2007 V8 Disco has nearly 280 000 km on the clock.  (my son drives it at Stellies).  Services and minor repairs are about R10k a year.

New gearbox will be around R30-40k,  But mine is still super smooth.

Surely everybody will have a different answer to that question.  AND, as time pass each persons answer will differ ....

During a ride (while moving) I actually seldom look at the screen.

In the beginning I spent a lot of time monitoring HR vs cadence, during the ride.  Once the muscle memory was sorted I hardly ever check it, unless I have an off day in the saddle ....

Rides are automatically loaded, and I typically glance at the distance/time/speed/HR/elevation stats.  After hard rides I spend more time checking the data ....

My primary use of this data ....

- checking total distance over months and per year

- comparing pre and post winter ride stats

- comparing year on year stats to monitor my progress

I got a Garmin 130 for Maritz's bike purely to take the guessing out of his distances ...  He has done as much as 8km in a single day on the pump track at Bloemendal plus the laps of the trails we did.  FIRST thing I taught him with the Garmin - DONT look at the screen while riding.

so back to your question - YES, when outside I want to see the trails and nature, not another screen .... after all, getting on the bike is to get away from the dual monitor setup !!

I like using GC to plan routes, but that is/was mostly due to me using one of two Garmin devices to show the cookie crumb trail to follow. I'm not a fan of riding the same route week in and week out, but will do it if it means I still get to ride. As far a viewing the screen while riding... I do it because it's there to see, but I'm no Chris Froome (stem-gazer).

There are other mapping options available, like RidewithGPS, Komoot, etc., but syncing to the Garmin device currently is not available. This would mean have to skip a ride plan and just ride. Not a problem for me.

Luckily I have a new Lezyne unit that works on offline maps, so my Dora the Explorer type ride for tomorrow can go ahead as planned. 

One of the reasons I will continue to use Garmin, is the requirement from Vitality for points, among a few other reasons that currently don't matter if it works or not.

https://status.flygarmin.com/

Monitoring - We are currently experiencing an outage that affects flyGarmin and as a result, the flyGarmin website and mobile app are down at this time. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unavailable to receive any emails or chats, but do have limited availability for calls. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.

Connext Services: Operational
Garmin Pilot Apps: Operational
FlyGarmin: Operational
FltPlan.com: Operational
Jul 24, 15:07 EDT
Update - We are currently experiencing an outage that affects flyGarmin and as a result, the flyGarmin website and mobile app are down at this time. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unavailable to receive any emails or chats, but do have limited availability for calls. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.

Connext Services:
- Down: CMC, position reports
- Up: phone/SMS via Iridium, weather

Garmin Pilot Apps: Operational

Jul 24, 14:29 EDT
Update - We are currently experiencing an outage that affects flyGarmin and as a result, the flyGarmin website and mobile app are down at this time. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unavailable to receive any emails or chats, but do have limited availability for calls. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.

Connext Services:
- Down: CMC, position reports
- Up: phone/SMS via Iridium, weather

Garmin Pilot Apps:
- Down: weather
- Up: flight plan filing, briefing, Database Concierge

Jul 24, 13:05 EDT

Connext Services:
- Down: weather, CMC, position reports
- Up: phone/SMS via Iridium

Garmin Pilot Apps:
- Down: Flight plan filing unless connected to FltPlan, account syncing, database concierge
- Up: largely functional - weather and other real-time aeronautical data are operational

FlyGarmin: Degraded performance, database downloads are active
Jul 24, 09:38 EDT
Identified - We are currently experiencing an outage that affects flyGarmin and as a result, the flyGarmin website and mobile app are down at this time. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unavailable to receive any emails or chats, but do have limited availability for calls. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.

Connext Services:

FltPlan: - Fully operational

Garmin Pilot Apps:
- Down: Flight plan filing unless connected to FltPlan, account syncing, database concierge
- Up: largely functional - weather and other real-time aeronautical data are operational

FlyGarmin: Down
Jul 23, 21:42 EDT
Update - We are currently experiencing an outage that affects flyGarmin and as a result, the flyGarmin website and mobile app are down at this time. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unavailable to receive any calls, emails, and chats. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.

Connext Services:

FltPlan:
- Fully operational with exception of Mexican eAPIS

Garmin Pilot Apps:

FlyGarmin: Down
Jul 23, 13:56 EDT
Update - We are continuing to investigate this issue.
Jul 23, 08:49 EDT
Investigating - We are currently experiencing an outage that affects flyGarmin and as a result, the flyGarmin website and mobile app are down at this time. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unavailable to receive any calls, emails, and chats. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.
Jul 23, 08:43 EDT