Nic Bester attacked while training.

gummibear

Don't forget, your bike, especially MTB's can also a weapon.

On the assumption it's not an ambush situation, you can certainly put one or even two guys in hospital with your bike as a weapon.

You can also possibly use it to defend against being stabbed with a knife.

Your best chance is to think through the possible scenarios and how you can possibly respond to them.  If you don't, you will probably freeze-up and not respond in the best way possible.

I did this to defend against my attackers with knives. 

My cannondale was so light I could swing it at them and keep them away :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, agreed.

There is however a difference between saying, "I was robbed by 4 black men" and "I was robbed by 4 blacks".

Think this is what Jewbacs was referring too rather than the actual description of the perps. 

Exactly, we have a long way to go as a country if this is still not obvious.

FACT - Nic was beaten to an inch of his life

FACT - it was4 black individualss that did it

FACT - no amount of pussy-footing and non-judgemental wording towards the perps will change the above two facts.

Wrong to generalize like that. I would truly take exception if somebody lumped me together with the four perpetrators like that.

I just don’t get this aspect

We have BLM BLACK Lives matter bombarding us in the news for weeks and there is no issues with that reference to blacks.

How would you describe these thugs when you give a description to the police or to warn others who might be out training in the vicinity of the attack?

At the very best you could say 4 African men.... not much difference imo except that you and I could also be described as African....

Not picking on you DJR, but your post does highlight the “you shouldn’t call them blacks” argument

Where do you guys stand on taping a pepperspray to the toptube?

Quick access for use against possible assailants or an out-of-control pooch.

I'm not one for carrying a firearm, but would like to have something as deterrent.

No. Always keep your defence mechanism on your person. Access is quicker, you can conceal, less danger of being separated from it and it being used on you.

..............Not picking on you DJR, but your post does highlight the “you shouldn’t call them blacks” argument

In my opinion the purpose of stating the race of the perpetrator should be to help identify them. Thus, stating ONLY that "blacks" did it is wrong and looks to me like it is laying blame on all blacks. Stating something like "4 well dressed young black men, one with a scar on his cheek and another with dreadlocks" did it, is acceptable. Hope it makes sense.  :)

I simply cant believe we are still on the topic of how to word and express it in most appropriate political correct way ....  really!  Some of us are good at this and others is bad at this, just accept it and move on.

Rather focus your energy on whats important, staying safe and (if at all possible) try to make things better & safer for yourself and others !

I noticed that if you carry or have a gun, they will after you because they want gun to rob others or kill others.....

My sister got gun from my father, she applied for licence and gun training and got gun safe. The police had to come to check before they approved it. Two weeks later, they came and stole it from safe. Dont trust the police....

I simply cant believe we are still on the topic of how to word and express it in most appropriate political correct way ....  really!  Some of us are good at this and others is bad at this, just accept it and move on.

Rather focus your energy on whats important, staying safe and (if at all possible) try to make things better & safer for yourself and others !

Yeah... But really I don't think it's acceptable to flagrantly use racist semantics and the whole 'just let it go' is why we are stuck in this situation in the 1st place.

I've been mugged. I've even been stabbed. But when I recount the story it is 'muggers' or 'criminals' or 'little s***s' not 'blacks'.

If you honestly can't see that the way that sentence is written is poor taste and just wrong, then unfortunately there in lies the problem.

Anyway, as I am apparently a libtard far left sensitive person with hurt feelings, I will disengage from here and go and cry about something else.  I honestly don't want to engage with people who think that sort of thing is ok while I myself try to undo all the social programming that's been crammed down my throat for 40 years.

I spoke to Varkie2 a while after his incident.

His words to me were "Phlippie, hulle was baie kwaad."

If you get driven off the road, potentially killing you, and then two men jump out with pangas and scream at you and threaten to kill you for your cellphone, do you really think he is going to be worried about the humanization off the attackers?

His bike is written off. So are his shoes, his clothes and his gloves. He got hurt in the incident, and he has to deal with his trauma.

Do you really blame him for dehumanizing his attackers less than a week after the attack?

I'm sorry guys, this is as bad as victim blaming.

Edited by PhilipV

I spoke to Varkie2 a while after his incident.

His words to me were "Phlippie, hulle was baie kwaad."

If you get driven off the road, potentially killing you, and then two men jump out with pangas and scream at you and threaten to kill you for your cellphone, do you really think he is going to be worried about the humanization off the attackers?

His bike is written off. So are his shoes, his clothes and his gloves. He got hurt in the incident, and he has to deal with his trauma.

Do you really blame him for dehumanizing his attackers less than a week after the attack?

I'm sorry guys, this is as bad as victim blaming.

I think the issue comes in that a term like "blacks" throws the entire race under the bus.

I think most of us on here are fine if he has an issue with the people who nearly took his life. But projecting those feelings onto other people because they share the same skin colour as the perps is not something I personally can condone.

PS. This is just my reading of the lay of the land. There is allot of "grey" in issues like this and I don't want to judge people after a traumatic event. We need to have grace for the struggles we all go through.

Yeah... But really I don't think it's acceptable to flagrantly use racist semantics and the whole 'just let it go' is why we are stuck in this situation in the 1st place.

I've been mugged. I've even been stabbed. But when I recount the story it is 'muggers' or 'criminals' or 'little s***s' not 'blacks'.

If you honestly can't see that the way that sentence is written is poor taste and just wrong, then unfortunately there in lies the problem.

Anyway, as I am apparently a libtard far left sensitive person with hurt feelings, I will disengage from here and go and cry about something else.  I honestly don't want to engage with people who think that sort of thing is ok while I myself try to undo all the social programming that's been crammed down my throat for 40 years.

I do agree, one should always at least try to consider and choose your words carefully.  My point was though that this was now discussed at length and it is not at all the main issue that stare us in the face !

Edited by Theog

PS. This is just my reading of the lay of the land. There is allot of "grey" in issues like this and I don't want to judge people after a traumatic event. We need to have grace for the struggles we all go through.

That's the thing, he is being judged.