Nic Bester attacked while training.

gummibear

Riding with a gun...

I love it when the good guy shoots the bad guy, but unless you are James Bond or Punisher, better to leave the gun at home. Too many of these attacks are ambushes. Also if you have a bad wipe out, there is a problem of what to do with the gun.

Thanks Sias for changing your post. Too many people want to divide us on racial lines, we should not let them succeed.

Best wishes to Nick, nobody should have to live like this and be viciously attacked trying to enjoy their training.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest what is the fail here? The stretchy belly band holster or the blank in the chamber?

Both in my opinion.

That pistol will need daily cleaning and lubing to prevent rust setting in from all the sweat.

To get it out under a tight jersey will be a battle and then add a bit of panic and he can easily fumble it up.

When you could be needing the pistol to save your life you don’t want to be playing with blanks.Its either empty or it’s one-up.Blanks often are the cause of a pistol jamming up.

Both in my opinion.

That pistol will need daily cleaning and lubing to prevent rust setting in from all the sweat.

To get it out under a tight jersey will be a battle and then add a bit of panic and he can easily fumble it up.

When you could be needing the pistol to save your life you don’t want to be playing with blanks.Its either empty or it’s one-up.Blanks often are the cause of a pistol jamming up.

Oom, you have lots of experience in responsible firearm ownership.... so how would you suggest somebody carries if they do.

My mate used to carry on our morning loop around my old hood. He kept a small 9mm in his back pocket. I always told him that it’s stupid keeping it there, as the muggers usually go straight for the pockets. Another tannie from PTA used to tuck her .38 into the front of her bibs... she scared me a little

Oom, you have lots of experience in responsible firearm ownership.... so how would you suggest somebody carries if they do.

My mate used to carry on our morning loop around my old hood. He kept a small 9mm in his back pocket. I always told him that it’s stupid keeping it there, as the muggers usually go straight for the pockets. Another tannie from PTA used to tuck her .38 into the front of her bibs... she scared me a little

some of you okes in lycra carry very small pistols.

is that a gun in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

Where do you guys stand on taping a pepperspray to the toptube?

Quick access for use against possible assailants or an out-of-control pooch.

I'm not one for carrying a firearm, but would like to have something as deterrent.

I think no matter what the weapon....knife, FA, spray....it needs to be attached to you...?

I think no matter what the weapon....knife, FA, spray....it needs to be attached to you...?

Good point.

Maybe both, one on toptube AND one in the pocket.

Toptube location just feels easier to access when confronted with a situation.

Where do you guys stand on taping a pepperspray to the toptube?

Quick access for use against possible assailants or an out-of-control pooch.

I'm not one for carrying a firearm, but would like to have something as deterrent.

Sew some velcro on your chest (on top).

Anywhere else is superfluous.

Perpetrators use the element of surprise and you will be surprised so just leave your gun at home - much safer.

Edited by porqui

Good point.

Maybe both, one on toptube AND one in the pocket.

Toptube location just feels easier to access when confronted with a situation.

or take your pet albino python for a ride. Snakes need off-leash walks too...

Disclaimer: although it was not my intention, I just realised that my comment can be misconstrued as  'micro-racism' You know, the presumption that all people of certain ethnicities are deadly afraid of snakes and all...

just to set the record straight....i'm a whitey and i'am also properly afraid of nope-ropes (snakes)...and also like watermelon...ALOT :ph34r:

edit: font

Edited by morneS555

It's important to be very observant (almost suspicious) in every situation.  Avoid places where you can not see at least 30-50m in front of you and when you do pass close to a potential hiding places, be even more alert.

The biggest problem is being ambushed when you cant see them coming at you.  Unfortunately I prefer riding completely alone which I know put myself at great risk.

It's certainly not fool proof but I more or less now have a route where 95% of the time there is very limited opportunities to be ambushed.

It is very sad that we are in this situation and have to resort to extreme & ridiculous measures just to be SAFE.

AL the best to Nick and his family.

or take your pet albino python for a ride. Snakes need off-leash walks too...

Disclaimer: although it was not my intention, I just realised that my comment can be misconstrued as  'micro-racism' You know, the presumption that all people of certain ethnicities are deadly afraid of snakes and all...

just to set the record straight....i'm a whitey and i'am also properly afraid of nope-ropes (snakes)...and also like watermelon...ALOT :ph34r:

edit: font

Jis ou, if I see a snake my spine tingles. I've had two very close encounters with Black Mamba in my younger days. I'm proper scared of them.

Then the other day, here comes my "new" neighbour, hanging over the wall with his pet snake, telling my kids they are free to pet the snake. EEEK!

The guy always gave me the chills, I am happy they are moving down to Wilderness at the end of October.

Oom [emoji1787][emoji1787]

To be honest a firearm shouldn’t be on a bike but if you have to then a waist bag carry option.If you knocked off the bike it stays with you and you can draw while on the move.You can ride with it at the back and move it forward if you spot something you not comfortable with [emoji106]

Most important is training with the bag at the range to get used to using it in deferent situations.

When this subject was debated a few years ago myself and 2 mates played around with different scenarios and different carry methods.A Moonbag was the best option out the lot.

5.1.1 make a great bag that closes with Velcro and opens very fast.It also dries fast so weapon doesn’t get soaked.

I have always suggested a extendable baton in your back pocket as a defense weapon.They are expensive and a knife or pepper spray on the frame or stem can be a good alternative.

e1ef09dc308f36770470a051791654fb.jpg

Both in my opinion.

Listen to Gummi  :)

I have always suggested a extendable baton in your back pocket as a defense weapon.They are expensive and a knife or pepper spray on the frame or stem can be a good alternative.

while participating in some casual chit-chat with some labourers/security guards on a building site we were discussing those and the general consensus was that NOBODY wants to be hit by one of those things in anger...so they usually make for a great deterrent. Anybody that has let loose with one against any sort of malleable material will attest just how much damage they can inflict with not much effort. damn....i dont even want to imagine what that feels like.

Don't forget, your bike, especially MTB's can also a weapon.

On the assumption it's not an ambush situation, you can certainly put one or even two guys in hospital with your bike as a weapon.

You can also possibly use it to defend against being stabbed with a knife.

Your best chance is to think through the possible scenarios and how you can possibly respond to them.  If you don't, you will probably freeze-up and not respond in the best way possible.