Campagnolo unveil Ekar 1x13 lightweight gravel drivetrain

News bot

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I much prefer my car with 6 gears over the 4 speed golf I had 20 years ago.......

I was also not outraged when I got a 5 speed car which cost more........

Campagnolo, making Ferrari's accessible to Mercedes drivers 

I might ™ that

My own rule is: never buy the first iteration of anything mechanical.

Throw in Campy's first go at MTB gruppos and heeeeeell no I won't be buying this one anytime soon.

Maybe Ekar V5.0 might be worth a go.

The fact that I am a Shimano fan has nothing to do with it!!!!

Some Ferrari drivers would like access to a Mercedes at the moment.

Yep. Not forgetting users of Japanese products too

It’s a gravel gruppo, it’s apparently going to be priced similarly to GXR and sram equivalent, it’s not going to have all the usual proprietary normal campy issues but of course there will be some as with many brands - it’s called protecting the brand comrades

Remember it’s rivals only offer 11 gears for gravel on their mechanic gruppos

Ffs guys do some homework before slamming the best gruppo company in the known universe

Ok that may have been a bit much but unless you’ve had Campagnolo then perhaps reserve judgement

It’s a bit like a gold XX1 chain - seems expensive till 10 000kms down the line

Campy wears-in, everything else wears out

We have some details on local availability and pricing. Cycling J&J (SA distributor) confirmed that Ekar should be available mid October 2020 with an expected retail price of R 33,000.

Ah. Hahahaha. HHAHAHAHAHA. HAAAAAHAHAHAHA.

Oh.

You're serious.

That's pretty brave pricing. I know Campy lovers are devoted but that is going to stretch that devotion to the limit!

Ah. Hahahaha. HHAHAHAHAHA. HAAAAAHAHAHAHA.

Oh.

You're serious.

That's pretty brave pricing. I know Campy lovers are devoted but that is going to stretch that devotion to the limit!

well most folks who buy a grevel bike are fashion muppets and in fashion money is no object - so win for campy  :whistling:  

I seem to recall SRAM launching a R33k product not that long ago ....

Somehow this product has morphed from "elitist" to "the benchmark" in only a few months ..

Clearly this price point does not scare off too many buyers ...

Both way out of my budget, but at least I understand the hype around the SRAM technology (as a known Shimano fan)

Reading a few different threads it is clear I have a lot to learn about gravel bikes ... and there specific gearing ... I have to wonder about the Campy ratios for the Swartberg pass .... okay, this may am extreme example, but certainly not the only steep gravel road ....

We have some details on local availability and pricing. Cycling J&J (SA distributor) confirmed that Ekar should be available mid October 2020 with an expected retail price of R 33,000.

Ow !

My Mechanics words. "If you want thoroughbred Italian beauty to go with your Italian frame, then get Campagnolo. It's a little touchy to setup and pricey but works well. If you want reliability, get Di2!" 

Small disclaimer, he is Italian and rides only italian. 

well most folks who buy a grevel bike are fashion muppets and in fashion money is no object - so win for campy  :whistling:  

I don't think that deserves to be in comic sans. Over here gravel is the new brag bike. So much so that I'm developing a gravel specific titanium frame with a local company for people to drape GRX815 and exotic carbon all over!

Mmmm schmolke....

I don't think that deserves to be in comic sans. Over here gravel is the new brag bike. So much so that I'm developing a gravel specific titanium frame with a local company for people to drape GRX815 and exotic carbon all over!

Mmmm schmolke....

I'm looking at getting a gravel bike next year. Lots of open gravel roads in my hood. Boys are planning a 120km gravel fun day and Im going to miss out. Others own hardtails but no one rides a dual sus. Gravel is so popular here it's almost impossible to buy a new bike.

I'm looking at getting a gravel bike next year. Lots of open gravel roads in my hood. Boys are planning a 120km gravel fun day and Im going to miss out. Others own hardtails but no one rides a dual sus. Gravel is so popular here it's almost impossible to buy a new bike.

For a moment I thought you lived in Durbanville. But then I saw better. But here riding a dual sus racer is de rigueur for gravel biking.