What makes you want to ride?

Jurgens Smit

Hey All,

I've been off the bike for super long and recently watching the tour and all the other racing has started that itch again.

I stopped cycling in 2018 after catching pneumonia, spending 2 weeks in the hospital and getting sick again every time I started training. Eventually it got to the point where I lost the little bit of fitness I had and just got over it and sold my bikes.

I'm considering starting again, but I don't know why I want to. I get competitive and want to push myself to see where my limit is, but the commitment that took while I was doing it just isn't possible for me right now.

With studying, work and my relationship already taking the majority of my time, I don't see myself committing to 15-20hrs a week again.

I've never found cycling and training fun, for me the racing and trying to see how close to the sharp end of the pack I could get was the fun bit.

My biggest uncertainty at this stage is firstly cost, I'll need to justify dropping a huge load of cash to buy a bike and trainer (IDT suits my lifestyle a little bit better than going out) as well as all the other gear.

So my question is, for the weekend warriors and the more serious guys, what makes you want to ride?

Why is cycling better than going to the gym, taking a jog or any other fitness hobby.

And lastly, what keeps you motivated?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey All,

I've been off the bike for super long and recently watching the tour and all the other racing has started that itch again.

I stopped cycling in 2018 after catching pneumonia, spending 2 weeks in the hospital and getting sick again every time I started training. Eventually it got to the point where I lost the little bit of fitness I had and just got over it and sold my bikes.

I'm considering starting again, but I don't know why I want to. I get competitive and want to push myself to see where my limit is, but the commitment that took while I was doing it just isn't possible for me right now.

With studying, work and my relationship already taking the majority of my time, I don't see myself committing to 15-20hrs a week again.

I've never found cycling and training fun, for me the racing and trying to see how close to the sharp end of the pack I could get was the fun bit.

My biggest uncertainty at this stage is firstly cost, I'll need to justify dropping a huge load of cash to buy a bike and trainer (IDT suits my lifestyle a little bit better than going out) as well as all the other gear.

So my question is, for the weekend warriors and the more serious guys, what makes you want to ride?

Why is cycling better than going to the gym, taking a jog or any other fitness hobby.

And lastly, what keeps you motivated?

If you don't find cycling to be fun then I think you should not futher going this route.  I personally only get time at the moment for maybe 4-5 hours a week on cycling but I absolutely enjoy it.  No I am in no racing condition unless your definition of racing is outsprinting the mail man to the the next lamp post.  But I simply enjoy cycling out in nature and setting myself my own personal goals and see if I can achive them.  Even like TNT1 shows here, if it is chasing Strava KOM's

I’m a tinkerer...I enjoy most activities that requires ‘wasting’ countless hours working on or setting stuff up just right....and then going out to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Riding is also my think space/alone time. I enjoy pondering life on a bike. Then, even though I prefer to ride alone, I’m super competitive so enjoy pushing myself to be better than i was the previous time.

If you don't find cycling to be fun then I think you should not futher going this route.  I personally only get time at the moment for maybe 4-5 hours a week on cycling but I absolutely enjoy it.  No I am in no racing condition unless your definition of racing is outsprinting the mail man to the the next lamp post.  But I simply enjoy cycling out in nature and setting myself my own personal goals and see if I can achive them.  Even like TNT1 shows here, if it is chasing Strava KOM's

Agreed. If you don't enjoy a sport why do it? Unless you're winning. Actual money.

I just enjoy it.

Since 2015 when my first kid was born my riding reduced drastically. Then in 2018 I had twins and it went down to even less. I went from doing >12000km per year to, I think I did about 2000km last year. I could easily do 0km but I will just go crazy so even the pissy 2000km I make the most of. I have been racing since I was 6, it is just part of my life.

That is what is making me apprehensive on this whole thing. I think I phrased it incorrectly. Cycling was fun for me in the sense that I was absolutely broken after each hard ride. The year I quit I did a few races in the elite bunch, which was super fun because it was pushing me to my absolute limit each race.

That I really enjoyed.

The long slow rides was meh to be honest. The talking **** with mates for me was the nice bit. I wasn't too phased to do a 3hr ride on the idt vs going outdoors. I think I meant to say I never found the training bit fun.

I don't ride to get outside and enjoy the views, I get that from other activities like walking my dogs in the reserve close to my house or the occasional slow hike with my gf.

Edited by Jurgens Smit

if you dont ride to be out and enjoy whatever the views are, then dont invest in this.

You will be in for R50-70k if you want a good IDT + average bike & kit.

If you want to ride just to stay fit, keep the gym membership going and do a few sessions on the watt bike. Or buy yourself a cheap spin bike and train at home, much cheaper.

To add, you should have never sold your bikes and everything else... Cycling stays in your blood !

Im on the total opposite side of the spectrum. Always find different peoples motivations for riding interesting.

For me its purely about the enjoyment of the ride. I dont even use fitness trackers or apps. I realise im loosing out on vitality points, but I just couldnt deal with getting obsessed over stats and numbers when I ride. If i do use the Garmin, its for navigation purposes only now. 

If im not having fun, I wouldnt ride. 

Mail Man , Whats that ? Cant remember last since I have seen one ..... :blink:

It takes me back to my childhood riding bikes in the neighbourhood. Friends. Endless days. No bills, no anxiety. Just our bicycles and happiness.

100%

I ride because I love bicycles and I love being outdoors escaping the world.  This has to be  ground zero of every rider including the guys winning the Grand tours - you have to like riding bikes at any pace.

The competitive part is an extra motivation for some and completely part of many cyclists world but it really can't be the foundation.

So my 2c is get a cheap roadbike and an IDT - then you can race people and be competitive - you should be able to get this done for 20k.  I can make you fit, get more hours in than proper riding and you can scratch that competitive itch.  For me it would be awful but sounds like it could work for you

Edited by Waynemol

So my 2c is get a cheap roadbike and an IDT - then you can race people and be competitive - you should be able to get this done for 20k.  I can make you fit, get more hours in than proper riding and you can scratch that competitive itch.  For me it would be awful but sounds like it could work for you

Until you realize that okes are lying about their weight and they are jimmying their IDT's to help them produce 6 watts per kg at 105 beats per minute HR.

IMO IDT's are *** and only good for when it's too cold, dark or wet to ride outdoors. I think the OP is better served smashing some wattbike classes.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Until you realize that okes are lying about their weight and they are jimmying their IDT's to help them produce 6 watts per kg at 105 beats per minute HR.

IMO IDT's are *** and only good for when it's too cold, dark or wet to ride outdoors. I think the OP is better served smashing some wattbike classes.

I preferred IDT training sessions over trying to do the same on an outdoor ride.

When you're doing intervals whether you're inside or outside, you're suffering and not really watching the sunset or whatever.